• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does this really say what I think it says?

Superfly

Salty, defiant, and completely non-compliant.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
From Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah
Political Leaning
Independent
GHEA - Georgia State Laws

#7 - According to the Attorney General of Georgia, the local superintendent does not the have the authority to require parents to affirmatively produce evidence of their continuing compliance with the law in the operation of home study programs or require the production of documents. Although the superintendent has the authority to "request" such materials, he cannot require parents to submit them. 1986 Op. Att'y. Gen. No. U86-19.

It looks like what it says, is that the parents who are home-schooling their children don't have to be accountable. They don't have to submit paperwork that proves that they are actually teaching these kids? Seriously? Later on down in the document, it says that every 3 years, the child has to be tested, but you don't have to turn the test results in to the State. Please tell me that I am reading this incorrectly.

I'm guessing the children must past state aptitude tests of appropriate levels.

I'm guessing the children must past state aptitude tests of appropriate levels.

I certainly hope so, although it said that children do have to be tested every 3 years, but the results don't have to be turned in to the State.

I don't see why anyone must produce documents other than the tests.

A law, or another bill, might require such and this merely eliminates minor paperwork filing.

Last edited:
It looks like what it says, is that the parents who are home-schooling their children don't have to be accountable. They don't have to submit paperwork that proves that they are actually teaching these kids? Seriously? Later on down in the document, it says that every 3 years, the child has to be tested, but you don't have to turn the test results in to the State. Please tell me that I am reading this incorrectly.

Yeah -the only change is the decision to no longer require attendance be reported.

I think you're reading it correctly.

What do parents have to do with anything? Parents should have to turn children over to the government at age 5 and then work to pay for the government to raise them correctly. Children belong to the state. :roll:

Yeah -the only change is the decision to no longer require attendance be reported.

So not only do they not have to report testing or any kind of accountability as far as daily work, they don't have to keep up with attendance, either. I wonder how many states are this way. That is scary as hell. It's no wonder we are raising a nation of morons.

So not only do they not have to report testing or any kind of accountability as far as daily work, they don't have to keep up with attendance, either. I wonder how many states are this way. That is scary as hell. It's no wonder we are raising a nation of morons.

Hehe - as far as I know, my state does have strict requirements.

Apparently - Georgia did have more defined requirements, but they were poorly written and too vague to sort out. They didn't further improve them, so when someone took it to court in 1986, it was all booted out.

On two different occasions, I homeschooled my daughters. I did it for 1 year each, as a kick in the butt to get their grades started. In both cases it worked, and in both cases, the rules I had to follow were extremely strict. I homeschooled my daughter last year, but used a program from a private school in Florida, so maybe that's why it was more strict.

The reason I was asking is because a friend of ours homeschools her children, and we were talking to her about it one day, what classes she was teaching them, and she was talking about teaching them knitting, and painting, but didn't say anything about academic courses.

I'm guessing there is more to the laws than just that statement.

Back
Top Bottom