• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Does this bring a laugh, a sigh or a tear?

Does this bring a laugh, a sigh or a tear?

• Laugh

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Sigh

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Tear

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

M14 Shooter

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060119/wl_nm/nuclear_arms_france_dc_2

BREST, France (Reuters) - France said on Thursday it would be ready to use nuclear weapons against any state that carried out a terrorist attack against it, reaffirming the need for its nuclear deterrent.

Deflecting criticism of France's costly nuclear arms program, President Jacques Chirac said security came at a price and France must be able to hit back hard at a hostile state's centers of power and its "capacity to act."

He said there was no change in France's overall policy, which rules out the use of nuclear weapons in a military conflict. But his speech pointed to a change of emphasis to underline the growing threat France perceives from terrorism.

Not only is this incredibly laughable, it apparently contradicts itself.

EDIT:

Can someone add a poll?

"France said on Thursday it would be ready to use nuclear weapons against any state that carried out a terrorist attack against it"

yea right........:rofl

M14 Shooter said:
EDIT:

Can someone add a poll?

/mod mode/
There's your poll.

I notice you also started a thread on the same topic in Today's News. Is there a reason for that other than overachievement? ;)

/mod mode/

mixedmedia said:
/mod mode/
There's your poll.
I notice you also started a thread on the same topic in Today's News. Is there a reason for that other than overachievement? ;)
/mod mode/

Just spreadin' the word...
Besides, this is a poll, that's for conversation.

M14 Shooter said:
Just spreadin' the word...
Besides, this is a poll, that's for conversation.
Very well.....

and I'm gonna vote a vaguely interested *sigh.* Talk comes cheap these days.

France has probably taken the strongest anti-terror stance of any nation other than Israel. However a threat like this is silly. If France suffers another terrorist attack and they don't respond with nuclear weapons, it will be interpreted as weakness. And in the improbable situation that they actually did, they'd be outcast by their allies.

France needs to keep up the good work fighting terror and stop running their mouths.

I said tear because after I laughed, I sighed, and then there was a tear in my eye.

They would use a nuclear weapon to fight terrorists and yet they will not go against French policy which states they will not use nuclear weapons..:confused:

But I still love french toast!

A sigh for me; this makes no sense. In the event that you attack us in an unusual way, we ourselves will feel sufficiently wronged to do what we would not normally do? Because attacking civilians is the most heinous crime in war, should you assault ours, we shall kill yours? That, after all, is what both nuclear weapons and terrorism are for: killing large numbers of people across an unrestricted area indiscriminately.

Are the French to fight the terrorists on their own terms? We seem to have moved in that direction ourselves. Definitely a sigh.

Back
Top Bottom