• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does the universe give you signs that something is a *bad* idea?

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
The universe did this to me over two days - signs that something was a bad idea.
Naturally, I didn't listen. . .and fully regretted it last night :)

So my husband's B-day was nigh, I wanted to smoke some ribs in celebration. . .done it countless times - never had problems.

Well, at the store they didn't have the usual ribs (cut and packaged in their shop) - they only had pre-treated ribs that were injected for 'tenderness and flavor' . . . normally when wanting to smoke ribs I don't even bother with these 'name brands' - but I ignored that and bought them anyway.

Then I bought charcoal - and they didn't have my usual brand so I picked up what I use to use years ago. . .

So when at home the next day I started the smoker - I had some problems getting the fire hot, windy day - and my smoker is holier than swiss cheese. . . at this point I should have stopped my efforts. . . but I did not.

So I wrestled with the temp all day - the holy smoker, the different coals, the wind - all these things made for a less than desirable temp. Usually I get 3 racks done in 6 hours - so I extended this cook time out to 8.

After 8 hours I looked at the ribs and noticed the meat still hadn't pulled back from the bones like it usually does but somehow I convinced myself that was because they were injected.

I cut up 2 racks before I realized that they weren't cooked *at all* - some of the ribs looked cooked-ish but quite a bit of it was still *raw*

I was so pissed.

So I stuck them all in the oven - 425 for 30 minutes did the trick. . .at this point I was just worried about the tenderness - cooking post cut just dries them out.

But they didn't dry out - they were quite tender. . . but because they were pre-treated they TASTED LIKE ****.

I couldn't even eat them - they were too damn salty. You know, that briney salt flavor because of nitrate injection. They were NASTY . . . 10 hours of work and a lot of money - FULLY wasted and TOTALLY disgusting.

Next time they don't have my *usual* - I won't *buy anything*

Yeah, I've had that happen. Happened just a week or so ago.

Girlfriends were planning an outing to downtown Chicago to eat at one of Obama's favorite restaurants, Topolobompo. Had been planning it for about a month, as it takes that long to get reservations. On the day we were to go, we realized that Transformers was filming downtown and we'd have some problems getting around. Then, we found that the gal who was going to drive was having car problems, so I offered to drive. Next, one of the gals was going to have to find a colleague to stand in for her in an important negotiation. She did that.

But I called everyone and suggested we call it off. Just too many things coming up that just.....got me to thinking.

I tend to listen to those little voices.

All this time, I thought my gut instinct was telling me things, and it turns out to be the universe.:mrgreen: Dam*!

(yes- I do listen, because I've learned that not doing so just screws things up:))

I doubt the universe possesses sentience.

usually, a sign form universe is a subconcious decision your brain makes according to pure facts it recieves and it is good to trust it.

I doubt the universe possesses sentience.

the universe, or maybe VicRoads, but i'm pretty sure it was the universe, gave me this sign.
thelongwayhome.1138335600.03-koala_crossing.jpg

Back
Top Bottom