• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does the soul exist - Apart from the body/brain?

Luckyone

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Does the soul exist outside of the body and the brain?

The Soul and Science: Challenging the “Consensus

Schwartz is a famous psychologist who has argued for the soul as an important datum that informs our way of thinking about humans and the world. In several places, Schwartz has argued that you are not your brain, but, in fact, you are something more or above and beyond your brain. You are something other than your brain illustrated by the fact that your brain can be shaped by you—it’s almost as if you are an outside force that can shape and form your own neural patterns. Scientists have referred to the neural phenomena as neuroplasticity (i.e., the view that our neural patterns are malleable), which Schwartz has deployed as a way of showing that we are the kinds of agents that can change our brain states.

This is not a religious OP as we all know that religions all believe in the afterlife.

Nonetheless, the idea that the soul is something apart from the brain and the body is something that even many scientists believe does exist. That the soul does not die. That it is a form of energy that exists in all of us that remains alive after the body and the brain dies.

There have been too many confirmed cases of dead people whose "ghosts" have stayed around or have come back and I believe that those cases are not a religious resurrection but a soul that has been "strongly emotionally" tied to a person, a location, or a event that was of such consequence that the soul was unable to move on to another "universe" where souls live.

This is a topic of interest to all of us as it is not religion we are talking about but what makes a person who he is. For example, why do we have preferences for one color/flavor/emotion/and person from the moment we are born. Such preferences are not learned, they are there from the beginning. Why are some babies acting like older people from a very young age where others are not. Again, that is not something learned but innate.

What say you? Do souls exist?

One request (if possible), if you are going to answer, do it intelligently and with some information backing your opinion. This OP is not meant to be a play thing, though I know many of you will see it (and use it) as such.

This is not a religious OP as we all know that religions all believe in the afterlife.

Nonetheless, the idea that the soul is something apart from the brain and the body is something that even many scientists believe does exist. That the soul does not die. That it is a form of energy that exists in all of us that remains alive after the body and the brain dies.

There have been too many confirmed cases of dead people whose "ghosts" have stayed around or have come back and I believe that those cases are not a religious resurrection but a soul that has been "strongly emotionally" tied to a person, a location, or a event that was of such consequence that the soul was unable to move on to another "universe" where souls live.

This is a topic of interest to all of us as it is not religion we are talking about but what makes a person who he is. For example, why do we have preferences for one color/flavor/emotion/and person from the moment we are born. Such preferences are not learned, they are there from the beginning. Why are some babies acting like older people from a very young age where others are not. Again, that is not something learned but innate.

One request (if possible), if you are going to answer, do it intelligently and with some information backing your opinion. This OP is not meant to be a play thing, though I know many of you will see it (and use it) as such.
Those issues you mention can be explained by genetic and environmental differences.

The souls of atheists awake in the upper atmosphere and want to know where they are and kind beings instruct them how to be free of their mistakes.

The idea of an afterlife is a comforting thought, but no, there’s no objective reason to believe that our “souls” live on after our bodies die.

You are asking a very complicated question, and one that is likely to be responded to with everything from speculation to superstition, but very few people have the facts and most will merely reflect what they hope is true, without being able to offer any evidence of their beliefs.

You are asking a very complicated question, and one that is likely to be responded to with everything from speculation to superstition, but very few people have the facts and most will merely reflect what they hope is true, without being able to offer any evidence of their beliefs.

You just described every comment in every thread on this site.

You just described every comment in every thread on this site.
If you believe that's really true, then what are you doing here?
No - most of the questions posed in OPs are not very complicated. Quite the contrary.

The idea of an afterlife is a comforting thought, but no, there’s no objective reason to believe that our “souls” live on after our bodies die.
I have read quite a bit about this and there seems to be a decent chance that the soul is separate from the body and the brain.

There have been many reported encounters of souls separating from their bodies, reported by both the person and the persons around them. These are not scientifically proven but the people themselves fully believe they experienced them or were part of them. People don't necessarily believe the believability of these people and these encounters but there has been so many, that not believing the constancy of them is difficult to throw away.

Here is a link to one of these encounters. Nonetheless, in my life, I have heard or read of this type of event happening on at least 10-15 other occasions. Too many to dismiss.

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2014/12/us/shared-death/

Well I think that depends on the religion. lol Some of them seem scarier than death.

My own personal belief is that the life force, what could be called the "soul", comes from another dimension and returns to another dimension.
I'm not sure how any of that works, but I think Eternal Energy and the life force goes on in some way after the body dies.
I dont know if it retains an individual consciousness though, or may become like part of a collective pool with no singular ego.
That spark of energy continues on.

Yes. The mind is not physical. The question should be does the mind exist after the body and I think science is starting show that the universe has a memory.

I have read quite a bit about this and there seems to be a decent chance that the soul is separate from the body and the brain.

There have been many reported encounters of souls separating from their bodies, reported by both the person and the persons around them. These are not scientifically proven but the people themselves fully believe they experienced them or were part of them. People don't necessarily believe the believability of these people and these encounters but there has been so many, that not believing the constancy of them is difficult to throw away.

Here is a link to one of these encounters. Nonetheless, in my life, I have heard or read of this type of event happening on at least 10-15 other occasions. Too many to dismiss.

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2014/12/us/shared-death/
Thanks for the link. I’ve also read stories like this, along with medical/scientific experts explanations of why those perceived experiences didn’t happen.

Beliefs and opinions, all. None supported by objective proof.

Hubert Reeves:​

“Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible God and destroys a visible Nature. Unaware that this Nature he’s destroying is this God he’s worshiping.”​

Being an Old Soul myself, I do believe that there is a 'spiritual' component that knows no bounds; some call it the soul, but it's much more than that - it is our own little slice of Nature. Everything that exists is connected, and is as much a part of us as we are of it. Collective intelligence and collective knowledge are extensions of our connections with nature - animal, vegetable, and mineral.

The

Thanks for the link. I’ve also read stories like this, along with medical/scientific experts explanations of why those perceived experiences didn’t happen.

Beliefs and opinions, all. None supported by objective proof.
By definition, the soul is never going to offer objective proof. It is a form of energy that machines cannot "yet" detect. Much like the time when we could not detect the bursts of energy from the sun.

My own personal belief is that the life force, what could be called the "soul", comes from another dimension and returns to another dimension.
I'm not sure how any of that works, but I think Eternal Energy and the life force goes on in some way after the body dies.
I dont know if it retains an individual consciousness though, or may become like part of a collective pool with no singular ego.
That spark of energy continues on.
We are of the same mind.

By definition, the soul is never going to offer objective proof. It is a form of energy that machines cannot "yet" detect. Much like the time when we could not detect the bursts of energy from the sun.

This might interest you.

Why is this in a political forum?

That aside, there is no evidence that a "soul" exists beyond myth and fantasy. Gods, heaven, afterlife, souls, resurrection, vampires, zombies...all figments of the human imagination to wish there is life beyond the singular ones each of us are given.

Anyone who believes this crap is an idiot.

Why do people think a title brings wisdom or frees one from the programing of their culture?

Dumb, dumb and dumb.

I agree that there will never be objective proof of the existence of souls.

I wish souls existed outside the body and the brain, or existed period. But I have seen no evidence for it.

Until we better understand consciousness your question cannot be answered.

Back
Top Bottom