• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does the right think scarcity and the left think abundance?

Does the right think scarcity and the left think abundance?

• Yes

• No

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

DifferentDrummr

Bald eagle
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
For clarity, I'll use this first post to define the scarcity mentality versus the abundance mentality:

Scarcity mentality refers to people seeing life as a finite pie, so that if one person takes a big piece, that leaves less for everyone else. Most people, particularly in the corporate world, have been conditioned to have a scarcity mentality.

A person with an abundance mentality focuses on the limitless opportunities available in business and life. They choose to focus on the positive things in their life rather than the negative things. People with an abundance mentality are more grateful, more creative and focused on collaboration.

Some people claim that most Republicans and conservatives have a scarcity mentality, while Democrats and liberals more often have an abundance mentality. Agree or disagree? Discuss.

For clarity, I'll use this first post to define the scarcity mentality versus the abundance mentality:

Scarcity mentality refers to people seeing life as a finite pie, so that if one person takes a big piece, that leaves less for everyone else. Most people, particularly in the corporate world, have been conditioned to have a scarcity mentality.

A person with an abundance mentality focuses on the limitless opportunities available in business and life. They choose to focus on the positive things in their life rather than the negative things. People with an abundance mentality are more grateful, more creative and focused on collaboration.

Some people claim that most Republicans and conservatives have a scarcity mentality, while Democrats and liberals more often have an abundance mentality. Agree or disagree? Discuss.
The left doesn’t think at all - they emote and hallucinate. The right is the ideology of abundance. We realize growing the pie is the key to feeding more people well; the left just wants to take some of everyone else’s pie.

The left doesn’t think at all - they emote and hallucinate. The right is the ideology of abundance. We realize growing the pie is the key to feeding more people well; the left just wants to take some of everyone else’s pie.
😄 😄 😄 😄

Says a follower of the party claiming election fraud with no valid evidence! Ah sweet irony!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Scarcity mentality refers to people seeing life as a finite pie, so that if one person takes a big piece, that leaves less for everyone else.

AKA the fixed-pie fallacy. Leftists overwhelmingly believe someone getting rich makes everybody else poorer, hence their obsession with equality of outcome and taxing rich people.

When you have to work and allocate money for house, cars, kids, school, and retirement, you do treat money as less than finite, and thus, scarce. To make more you have to take the risk of losing your new job that paid better, finance a move to another city when jobs don’t come to you.

I've heard this argument before and while I understand it I can't say I'm a huge fan of the terms abundance and scarcity. It makes it seem like the left doesn't understand that the world has finite resources. That couldn't be further from the truth particularly when you look at the climate change debate.

In general though, I'd say the descriptions are accurate.

Got nothing to say. Just spewing the party line, eh?
I was just posting a fact. Which you are not capable of recognizing. Nor recognizing that your own post was completely empty of reality :rolleyes:

Maybe you dont know the definition of irony?

LOL, I rest my case. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

We realize growing the pie is the key to feeding more people well; the left just wants to take some of everyone else’s pie.
LOL!!! Is that why the economy always crashes whenever you are left in charge? LOL!!!

Growing a pie can't feed more people if all the pieces of it go to 5 people.

People who understand how actual economies work and grow understand that you can't build a better team just by paying the QB more and screwing the offensive linemen and receivers. It doesn't matter how good your QB is if he has no blockers to protect him and no receivers who can catch your team will lose.
A successful football team is no different than a successful economy. It must have depth, and must invest in the development of all it's players.

You have nailed it!!!!

AKA the fixed-pie fallacy. Leftists overwhelmingly believe someone getting rich makes everybody else poorer, hence their obsession with equality of outcome and taxing rich people.
You seem to have that in reverse. It is the right who falls for the fixed-pie fallacy.
Liberals understand that it doesn't matter how big the pie gets if you give all the new pieces to the same person.

The left doesn’t think at all - they emote and hallucinate.

I am glad to see the right starting this thread off in such a classy manner.

If this is what some people claim, then I say those people are idiots. It's the other way around.

But the owners of most of the existing pie vet the lions share of all new pie too. It's what capitalism is all about.

The people get the chaff of this process. As little as possible to generate profits.

Very little trickles down. and they'll give your job to a machine as soon as someone invents it.

Corporate officers are required by law to do so. To maximize profits for shareholders.

You seem to have that in reverse. It is the right who falls for the fixed-pie fallacy.

Ok, here is a video of some right wingers I'm sure you despise talking about the fixed-pie fallacy:

Now you show me some prominent left wingers denouncing the fixed pie fallacy.

Actually, one would have to be totally ignorant to even think on these terms.

There are plenty of dollars out there for any healthy American to chase after.

What kind of pie is it?

When you have to work and allocate money for house, cars, kids, school, and retirement, you do treat money as less than finite, and thus, scarce. To make more you have to take the risk of losing your new job that paid better, finance a move to another city when jobs don’t come to you.
Taking a financial risk is not at all the same as taking resources from other people.

I've heard this argument before and while I understand it I can't say I'm a huge fan of the terms abundance and scarcity. It makes it seem like the left doesn't understand that the world has finite resources. That couldn't be further from the truth particularly when you look at the climate change debate.

In general though, I'd say the descriptions are accurate.
Nature has some resources that aren't renewable, that's true. It also has many resources that are. Maybe even including some that haven't yet been discovered. I think most policymakers throughout the political spectrum are aware of all this.

But the owners of most of the existing pie vet the lions share of all new pie too. It's what capitalism is all about.

The people get the chaff of this process. As little as possible to generate profits.

Very little trickles down. and they'll give your job to a machine as soon as someone invents it.

Corporate officers are required by law to do so. To maximize profits for shareholders.
LOL, well done. loony left mantras. You’re well rehearsed in spewing the tripe.

Depends on which group is in power.

Back
Top Bottom