• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does the right (generally speaking) care for the minority?

Does the right care enough for minorities and their rights?

• Yes

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • No

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • other

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I'm getting sick of BCR.

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters

BCR

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
Here is a typical scenario I have seen on DP a lot lately. Let's use gay marriage.

"The Judge was right to declare this law unconstitutional"

some conservative's response

"But 7 million people voted for it!!! Way to go judge just disregarding what the people want"

This could be interchanged with the whole mosque ordeal also, I've seen people say "but 60% of NYers are against it."

I'm just curious as to where this logic comes from? I thought it was Majority rules, Minority rights..Not Majority rules, majority tells minority's how to live there life.

One theory I could see as reasonable, the Republican party is off base with many minorities and surely that has cost them in numerous elections so over time a generally bad taste has formed within the Republican party regarding minorities. Might as well turn my flame shield on now though :shock:

Does this thread seek to generalize a large group of people? I vote yes.

If 70% are against something the Rep. must side with the 30% because they are the minority. Otherwise, they are not doing enough for minorities. Got it.

If 70% are against something the Rep. must side with the 30% because they are the minority. Otherwise, they are not doing enough for minorities. Got it.

no, but as I said they must if agreeing with the majority violates the minorites rights.

The bracket of "minorities" doesn't factor to mind when I think "gay rights"

Rights are rights . . . which are not dependent on your sheer % of the populous.

No. I hate getting these polls shoved in my face saying "see? You're the minority in this country so you're wrong". I'm more generally directing this at right leaning politicians and talk show hosts... most of the members here are more respectful.

Last edited:
80 percent of the people should really vote Democrat because it's the peoples party, but unfortunately they are also susceptible to fast talking Republicans, and their media aiders and abettors, who over exaggerate benign situations into major threats.

ricksfolly

the right absolutely does care 'enough' for minorities; because it is extending the exact same amount of care power and respect to each individual irregardless of whether they are in the majority or not. that's the beauty of the vote.

as for telling you that 'you're wrong because your in the minority'; obviously that's not true. your belief on whether or not the ability to have everyone else collectively issue you a marriage certificate is your own. you could be right or wrong :shrug: who knows? certainly i believe things that the majority does not - that doesn't make me right, it makes me in the minority.

however, you are wrong to attempt to force everyone else to accept your control of them without their consent. that is beyond your authority, as someone who is the coequal of everyone in the majority.

It depends how you define "right". I'm assuming you refer to the right side of the political spectrum in the USA, those individuals who are labeled or self-label themselves "conservatives", and like terms.

It depends on how you define "care for the minority". Do you mean "’hold everyone equal’, thus caring for all, including ‘the minority’?”, or "hold 'the minority' as somehow more deserving of help because they are 'the minority'?"

I think of myself as somewhat conservative, somewhat liberal, somewhat libertarian…Probably a few others in there.

And I prefer the notion that everyone should start on an equal footing...Where they go from there is up to them, within the strictures of the rules.

Such will never truly happen, as there are always going to be bigoted persons out there, but the varied systems they work within should be designed to prevent the majority of actions they could take on those opinions, without to greatly restricting things.

Here is a typical scenario I have seen on DP a lot lately. Let's use gay marriage.

"But 7 million people voted for it!!! Way to go judge just disregarding what the people want"

This could be interchanged with the whole mosque ordeal also, I've seen people say "but 60% of NYers are against it."

I'm just curious as to where this logic comes from? I thought it was Majority rules, Minority rights..Not Majority rules, majority tells minority's how to live there life.

One theory I could see as reasonable, the Republican party is off base with many minorities and surely that has cost them in numerous elections so over time a generally bad taste has formed within the Republican party regarding minorities. Might as well turn my flame shield on now though :shock:

At this point in time I would have to say that neither the right nor the left care about minorities. They just care about being re-elected.

I seriously hope that in this election people do not vote "republican" or "democrat". Get more independant people in there. This two party ruling elite is starting to piss me off. Wait...scratch that they pissed me off a long time ago.

As for the GM and mosque thing what those that say "but the majority voted for it!"...they just do not understand what our forefathers tried to do via our Constitution and Bill of Rights is to limit government AND the majority. In otherwords they were more concerned about individual rights and not majority rule. IE they cared about the minority. (or they are just purposely ignoring it in favor of being self-centered pricks)

They understood what it was like to be the minority and not be heard. Which is why we had the American Revolution.

In terms of racial minorities I don't find their positions that bad for the most part. The potentially significant exception to that being immigration, but I'm willing to give most of the right a little benefit of the doubt and assume that non-racial reasons are their primary motivation.

However, the right's constant pushing of Christian values with government action does show disdain for minorities. Between protesting "happy holidays" (despite the fact that there are multiple holidays in the month of December and some of them pre-date Christmas), wanting to limit gay rights (it wasn't long ago that many states still had anti-sodomy laws), and demanding at minimum government lip service for their religious beliefs (like supporting the 10 Commandments on government property despite the fact that at most only four of them have to do with modern laws and the other 6 either don't correspond to any standing US laws or directly contradict the US Constitution), they show little to no respect for religious minorities. So since the poll was opened ended on what kinds of minority rights were being attacked, I voted no on the theory that the Republicans are willing to do very little to support, and often are diametrically opposed to, the rights of religious or sexual orientation minorities.

They don't insult minorities by telling them their incompetent and need Big Brother Obama to take care of them with stolen taxpayer dollars.

They care about the minority and respect them by telling them that they can be successful on their own, as equals.

NO! They want people to work without having to create jobs and want little kids not to have icecream and cake:(

They don't insult minorities by telling them their incompetent and need Big Brother Obama to take care of them with stolen taxpayer dollars.

They care about the minority and respect them by telling them that they can be successful on their own, as equals.
Why do you assume that minorities are not successful or require some kind of financial aid? In the case of gay marriage, they are just asking to be recognized as equals, it's not related to financial assistance.

Why do you assume that minorities are not successful or require some kind of financial aid? In the case of gay marriage, they are just asking to be recognized as equals, it's not related to financial assistance.

More importantly, why can't you read proper context into a post and realize I never said anyone who didn't vote for Obama was incompetent?

No they don't, but apparently they are all experts about minorities, others religions, and how well gay people can do things. Many of the things the right battle against now mirror what they battled against in the 60's and just like the 60's they will ultimately loose out. I really don't know what the hell the right cares about that matters anymore other than watching their own asses.

More importantly, why can't you read proper context into a post and realize I never said anyone who didn't vote for Obama was incompetent?
I didn't say you said anyone who voted for Obama was incompetent, again you're implying that. You did imply that somehow minorities are thought of as needing of financial aid, read your statement again. I was just pointing out that it has nothing to do with minorities and aid, in the case of gay marriage it has to do with being treated as equals.

You're welcome to clarify what you meant.

Last edited:
I didn't say you said anyone who voted for Obama was incompetent, again you're implying that. You did imply that somehow minorities are thought of as needing of financial aid, read your statement again. I was just pointing out that it has nothing to do with minorities and aid, in the case of gay marriage it has to do with being treated as equals.

You're welcome to clarify what you meant.

So, what you're saying is that people can demand others be robbed to pay for aid to minorities and not believe those minorities don't need the help?

After all, if they didn't need the help, ie, if they were equally competent as the majority, then there'd be no reason for these special soft-hearted empty headed little loving liberals to do them the favor of getting that money for them, right?

Why do you think the liberal elites steal money from some people to throw at others? It ain't because they beleive the target recipients are competent, that's certain. That denies the logic of their actions.

"They're off base with many minorities"

Why is that? What do these minorities want their political leaders to value, support and carry through?

I'm in neither party - so the way I see it is that one side is willing to do all sorts of pandering and ass kissing to get votes and the other is not quite so willing to do that pandering and ass kissing to get votes.

People should choose their political party based on what they value and have in common - the political party should not go *fishing* for people by making false promises and tossing out empty campaign rhetoric.

I was asking if they care enough though? I realize they care for minorities but not enough to get their votes.

I was asking if they care enough though. I realize they care for minorities, but not enough to get their votes.
If we're speaking in terms of getting their votes - I think many if not most Republicans probably realize that the majority of minorities are going to vote Democrat no matter what (as past elections indicate), and thus don't consider it worthwhile to spend campaign funds on something unlikely to give much return.

Or at least their campaign managers are thinking this, probably

If some of those minorities are drawn in by their campaign efforts directed at the whole, all to the good.

I think in a lot of cases, it's not so much that they're trying to say 'we should do X just because the majority thinks we should', it's 'I think we should do X (for whatever reason), and the majority also supports that viewpoint'.

They're using the fact that the majority agrees with them to add weight to their argument, not basing their argument strictly on the fact that a majority supports it.

So, what you're saying is that people can demand others be robbed to pay for aid to minorities and not believe those minorities don't need the help?

After all, if they didn't need the help, ie, if they were equally competent as the majority, then there'd be no reason for these special soft-hearted empty headed little loving liberals to do them the favor of getting that money for them, right?

Why do you think the liberal elites steal money from some people to throw at others? It ain't because they beleive the target recipients are competent, that's certain. That denies the logic of their actions.
Again, you're saying that minorities require financial aid. In the case of gay marriage, they are a minority and don't require any kind of financial assistance, they just want to be considered as equals.

I was asking if they care enough though? I realize they care for minorities but not enough to get their votes.

I think Republicans care more than Democrats for blacks especially.
The problem is the blacks are always being mislead into thinking Dems are the ones who care because they are always making promises for more entitlements, better education, better jobs, better pay etc. for minorities.
In the end, the promises are broken and blacks end up worse off or no difference.
The Rep. don't make empty promises like that. They want everyone to succeed. When they start pandering to a group of people because of the color of their skin, that's when I'll know for sure it's not the party for me. Blacks are just as capable of success as anyone else. It's time they realized it and got out from under the Democratic party. It's only succeeded in keeping them down.
Hopefully with more and more black conservatives coming out, things will change. Maybe there will eventually be so many, the terms Uncle Tom, Traitor, House Negro, Token Republican Black etc. will sound really stupid.

Back
Top Bottom