• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does the Republican Party make America look bad?

Yes, the Republican party makes America look bad. So does the Democratic party. The ridiculous partisan squabbling and inability to work together to get things done makes us look like a bunch of immature children.

Yes, the Republican party makes America look bad. So does the Democratic party. The ridiculous partisan squabbling and inability to work together to get things done makes us look like a bunch of immature children.

But you wouldn't agree that one particular party has more idiots in the media? I mean I've talked to people from Saudi Arabia and even THEY know who Sarah Palin is.

Because you wanted to throw your vote away?

Here's the problem: people insisting that if you don't vote for Rep-A or Dem-B you're 'wasting your vote'

I think that's a pile of tripe - but the Reps and Dems love it because it'll ensure that they stay in charge of everything.

Here's the problem: people insisting that if you don't vote for Rep-A or Dem-B you're 'wasting your vote'

I think that's a pile of tripe - but the Reps and Dems love it because it'll ensure that they stay in charge of everything.
Couldn't agree more yet for some reason this is how the majority of people tend to vote. They are petrified that the other side will vote in bloc and the greater of 2 evils will get elected (whichever is the 'greater of two evils' is determined by whatever side of the political spectrum you are on)

Both parties make America look bad. Republicans probably slightly more-so because they are the party more out-of-step with the parts of the world whose opinions we care about.

But you wouldn't agree that one particular party has more idiots in the media? I mean I've talked to people from Saudi Arabia and even THEY know who Sarah Palin is.

No, I wouldn't agree. But I'm not a Republican or Democrat, so maybe I see a little more objectively.

Neither am I and I see more republicans make fools out of themselves in the media than democrats.

keyword being "media"

the media decides what to hype and what not to hype... and they most often like to hype absurdities and stuff that makes people look bad.

not everything that falls out of Palins, or Limbaughs, or olbermans, or garafalos face is stupid or bad.... but the stupid sh*t is most assuredly going to be seized on and milked.

it's a sensational soundbite world we live in...

keyword being "media"

the media decides what to hype and what not to hype... and they most often like to hype absurdities and stuff that makes people look bad.

not everything that falls out of Palins, or Limbaughs, or olbermans, or garafalos face is stupid or bad.... but the stupid sh*t is most assuredly going to be seized on and milked.

it's a sensational soundbite world we live in...

I've seen things on Fox News that have made Palin look bad. ALSO have you ever watched Glenn Beck before?

I've seen things on Fox News that have made Palin look bad. ALSO have you ever watched Glenn Beck before?

yes, i've watched Beck before.... i'm not a fan of his style... he can fall of a cliff and I won't be affected.
that goes for about 99% of political talking heads today.. they are irrelevant to me.

I came up watching Firing Line with William F. Buckley jr ( I stated watching in 1968).... but sadly, that standard of political discourse is out of favor today.... partisan hackery is the only thing on the menu nowadays.

for better or worse, this is the world you are coming up in...hopefully by the time you are my age, sh*t will change.

yes, i've watched Beck before.... i'm not a fan of his style... he can fall of a cliff and I won't be affected.
that goes for about 99% of political talking heads today.. they are irrelevant to me.

I came up watching Firing Line with William F. Buckley jr ( I stated watching in 1968).... but sadly, that standard of political discourse is out of favor today.... partisan hackery is the only thing on the menu nowadays.

for better or worse, this is the world you are coming up in...hopefully by the time you are my age, sh*t will change.

I wouldn't necessarily call it a "style" as much as I'd call it a schizophrenic rant. Also Bill O'Reily is just a prick, who thinks he can win debates by not letting the other person talk.

No, I don't place the blame on one particular party more than the other. Which party's idiots are in the media depends on which media outlet you're paying attention to.

No, I don't place the blame on one particular party more than the other. Which party's idiots are in the media depends on which media outlet you're paying attention to.

Well I watch Comedy Central, Bill Maher and Fox News. Obviously the first two lean more towards the left, but even Fox News makes Republicans look bad sometimes.

What did Bush ever have to bailout? The recession wasn't until he left office. I'm not a fan of Obama either, but at least he's not as dumb as Sarah Palin or Michelle Bauchmen or Rush Limbaugh.

Hence my tagline.

Well I watch Comedy Central, Bill Maher and Fox News. Obviously the first two lean more towards the left, but even Fox News makes Republicans look bad sometimes.

in that case... i'm unsurprised you believe as you do.

you should stop watching garbage TV, that crap is bad for you.

I get the feeling that The Republican Party is a big part of the reason that the world is laughing at us, or that they think we're stupid. When people like Sarah Palin, Michelle Bauchman, and Rush Limbaugh are the poster childs of Republicans.

It's not just the Republican leadership and conservative commentators that are the butt of ridicule the world round; it's the Republican audiences at these recent political debates, cheering for state executions, calling out to let ill people die if they don't have health insurance, jeering at a gay military service man deployed at that moment to a war zone. Honestly, the whole civilized world looks upon these scenes and guffaws at these stupid, idiotic Americans.

in that case... i'm unsurprised you believe as you do.

you should stop watching garbage TV, that crap is bad for you.

I think that the Daily Show is the ONLY show on TV that is at least TRYING to hold the more "legit" media outlets accountable for the job they are SUPPOSED to be doing. If that's garbage, well, we'll just have to disagree there.

The republican party does not make this country look bad.

The IDEA of a 2 party system, and the rampant polarization and party line towing, rhetoric spitting zombie fest that is a result of this, is what makes out country look bad.

When I think of images of the right wing people like Hannity, Coulter, Limbaugh pop in my head.

cvrfish.jpg

Last edited:
I participate on a couple of international forums and have for for years. Wacky candidates from all US parties amuse them. Mostly they respect Obama and feel he has handled the foreign policy decisions well and not done well with the economy. They cannot understand why the US has not recalled and replaced the obstructionists in Congress responsible for recent brinksmanship over the raising the debt limit. They feel S & P should have taken the US's credit rating down a couple of more notches for being 'totally hatstand' (slang for insane).

Many thought GWB was a puppet whose strings were being pulled by corporate and financial institutions. Virtually all believe he was a poor president. They made fun of Clinton's sexual peccadilloes.

Our news media is what really makes them laugh. The majority feel most US media outlets are rubbish. They were chuckling over the recent gaffe about the Fiskers earlier today. Some think FoxNews is a comedy show similar to the Daily show. I've explained Fox is actual news outlet, but they think I'm joking about half the time. Most believe all US media reports about US politics are somewhat akin to Al Jazeera's reporting on Israeli events - to be taken with a large grain of salt. They have very limited exposure to talk radio, but view it somewhat like most of us view news releases in the Enquirer.

I get the feeling that The Republican Party is a big part of the reason that the world is laughing at us, or that they think we're stupid. When people like Sarah Palin, Michelle Bauchman, and Rush Limbaugh are the poster childs of Republicans.

I see your point. I laughed at Palin too.

I participate on a couple of international forums and have for for years. Wacky candidates from all US parties amuse them. Mostly they respect Obama and feel he has handled the foreign policy decisions well and not done well with the economy. They cannot understand why the US has not recalled and replaced the obstructionists in Congress responsible for recent brinksmanship over the raising the debt limit. They feel S & P should have taken the US's credit rating down a couple of more notches for being 'totally hatstand' (slang for insane).

Many thought GWB was a puppet whose strings were being pulled by corporate and financial institutions. Virtually all believe he was a poor president. They made fun of Clinton's sexual peccadilloes.

Our news media is what really makes them laugh. The majority feel most US media outlets are rubbish. They were chuckling over the recent gaffe about the Fiskers earlier today. Some think FoxNews is a comedy show similar to the Daily show. I've explained Fox is actual news outlet, but they think I'm joking about half the time. Most believe all US media reports about US politics are somewhat akin to Al Jazeera's reporting on Israeli events - to be taken with a large grain of salt. They have very limited exposure to talk radio, but view it somewhat like most of us view news releases in the Enquirer.

Hey now, don't go making fun of my NPR.....

And...i agree with everything else.

Back
Top Bottom