• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does the price or brand of an gift affect whether and/or to what extent you like it?

Does the price or brand of an gift affect whether and/or to what extent you like it?

• Always

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Most of the time, yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Xelor

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Does a gift's price matter in your determination of whether you like it and/or whether you'll keep it and use it?

Mind you, I'm not asking with regard to "out there" and/or avant garde gifts that happen also to be pricey. I'm talking about normal things -- clothes and other fashion items, gizmos, fragrances, food and beverages, trips, "normal" art, decorative accessories, household goods, jewelry, pets, cars, bikes, boats, etc.

For example:
  • Does, say, a Gitman Bros. simple white cotton button-down collar shirt meet with your approbation more so than does one from, say, Macy's?
    • What if you have no need for a white button-down? Would the price matter then?
    • I used a shirt for the example above. It could be any two items so long as they're economic substitutes.
  • If someone gives you a gift you'd never consider buying for yourself, maybe a vase, a duvet cover, a scarf, a throw or some other household item and you discover that it's pricey, does its being so affect how you regard the item itself (not the thought or person who gave it to you)?
  • If someone gives you a gift you'd never consider buying for yourself, maybe a vase, a duvet cover, a scarf, a throw or some other household item and you discover that it's inexpensive, does its being so affect how you regard the item itself (not the thought or person who gave it to you)?

Note:
The linked-to items are merely illustrative; their styling/looks aren't relevant to the question....the items could as well be anything else. I merely linked items to give a rough sense of "pricey" vs. "inexpensive."

Who checks what a gift cost? Says more about the receiver, imo,

Aside: My in laws don’t bother to attempt to remove a price tag.......

Who checks what a gift cost? Says more about the receiver, imo,

Aside: My in laws don’t bother to attempt to remove a price tag.......

I don't know that anyone expressly checks, but I know that when one returns an item to the store to exchange it for something else, one discovers its price.

Interesting question. We generally don't give/receive gifts, whether it is during Christmas or birthdays. Lets say someone who cares gives me a duvet. If they know me well enough they realize that quality is important to me. They may also know that I have been thinking about buying this or that duvet, and purchased accordingly. So aside from prize (more often than not, you get what you paid for), it is the thought and care that is so much more important. Rushed last minute gifts, regardless of prize, are just that, rushed purchases made just to have something to give. Even then, it is nice to be remembered.
To sum it up, prize is not that important.

If the recipient has no use for the gift then, obviously, it will not be used regardless of its price. I wear socks, underwear, jeans, T-shirts and work boots - occasionally (seasonally?) flannel shirts, a jacket or coat. Gifts of other clothing will either sit for decades in the closet or be donated to Goodwill so that others, with some actual need/desire for them, may use them.

Its all about quality.

For instance, if someone gets me tools, or a grill, etc, the brand matters. Duralast < craftsman. Knock off brand < Webber.

IMO, a gift should be something you WANT, but don't NEED hardly enough to just buy it for yourself.

Example, my wife got me an electric smoker. For years, I've been using an old rusted out gas grill to hot smoke with. It requires more attention than my 7 year old son. Constant checking. I WANTED an electric smoker...set it, turn a dial, push a button, and come back 9 hours later. But I didn't NEED it hardly enough to just buy it. So she got it for me.

Does a gift's price matter in your determination of whether you like it and/or whether you'll keep it and use it?

Mind you, I'm not asking with regard to "out there" and/or avant garde gifts that happen also to be pricey. I'm talking about normal things -- clothes and other fashion items, gizmos, fragrances, food and beverages, trips, "normal" art, decorative accessories, household goods, jewelry, pets, cars, bikes, boats, etc.

For example:
  • Does, say, a Gitman Bros. simple white cotton button-down collar shirt meet with your approbation more so than does one from, say, Macy's?
    • What if you have no need for a white button-down? Would the price matter then?
    • I used a shirt for the example above. It could be any two items so long as they're economic substitutes.
  • If someone gives you a gift you'd never consider buying for yourself, maybe a vase, a duvet cover, a scarf, a throw or some other household item and you discover that it's pricey, does its being so affect how you regard the item itself (not the thought or person who gave it to you)?
  • If someone gives you a gift you'd never consider buying for yourself, maybe a vase, a duvet cover, a scarf, a throw or some other household item and you discover that it's inexpensive, does its being so affect how you regard the item itself (not the thought or person who gave it to you)?

Note:
The linked-to items are merely illustrative; their styling/looks aren't relevant to the question....the items could as well be anything else. I merely linked items to give a rough sense of "pricey" vs. "inexpensive."

I don't care if you buy me a lotion from the Dollar Tree or a huge basket of lotions from Bath and Body works... to me it's truly the thought that counts. Even if my husband did it, he was thinking of me and that's good enough.

I don't care if you buy me a lotion from the Dollar Tree or a huge basket of lotions from Bath and Body works... to me it's truly the thought that counts. Even if my husband did it, he was thinking of me and that's good enough.

Yep. I got a lot of 5 below gifts from my friends, and I appreciated all of them. :)

Back
Top Bottom