• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does the drug war work into illegal immigrant employment?

tererun

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
This is not the way you might think from the OP, of course illegals come over here and sell drugs. What I am talking about are legitimate jobs whicfh often hire out to illegal dayworkers. These are normally hard jobs for little pay which often a poor drug user could do. because they are hiring day workers who are illegal there is no drug test. basically because you are fighting against drugs in the workplace you push certain businesses to go the cheapo unreported way. They do not have to drug test or care about these workers, and illegals are the best people to hire because they don't have any rights. A citizen who is a drug user would have rights. I am not saying it is the full reason, just one of many that keeps places seeking out illegals where there are american options because it is easier. If we stopped the drug testing at jobs and only tested in areas that required sobriety, in the case of accidents, or in the case of obvious intoxication then some of these groups might go back to hiring some americans because they won't have the overhead of drug testing some legal worker.

This is not the way you might think from the OP, of course illegals come over here and sell drugs. What I am talking about are legitimate jobs whicfh often hire out to illegal dayworkers. These are normally hard jobs for little pay which often a poor drug user could do. because they are hiring day workers who are illegal there is no drug test. basically because you are fighting against drugs in the workplace you push certain businesses to go the cheapo unreported way. They do not have to drug test or care about these workers, and illegals are the best people to hire because they don't have any rights. A citizen who is a drug user would have rights. I am not saying it is the full reason, just one of many that keeps places seeking out illegals where there are american options because it is easier. If we stopped the drug testing at jobs and only tested in areas that required sobriety, in the case of accidents, or in the case of obvious intoxication then some of these groups might go back to hiring some americans because they won't have the overhead of drug testing some legal worker.

I can pretty much guarantee that nobody who regularly does drugs wants to be out in the field picking crops, especially for very little money. If they're doing harder drugs they probably shouldn't be doing construction either.

I don't see illegal immigration as much of a problem. They're doing the jobs Americans don't want to do. Why would anyone go work in the field when they can get welfare and stay inside in the AC drinking coke?

I can pretty much guarantee that nobody who regularly does drugs wants to be out in the field picking crops, especially for very little money. If they're doing harder drugs they probably shouldn't be doing construction either.

I don't see illegal immigration as much of a problem. They're doing the jobs Americans don't want to do. Why would anyone go work in the field when they can get welfare and stay inside in the AC drinking coke?

I can see what you are saying, but I also know a lot of people who do those sorts of jobs who do drugs. So if the people in those positions are doing drugs, could we be driving people away from those positions because it is not worth them working that hard and then not being allowed to use drugs? Do you see what I am saying that some drug users at that level of employment might consider the whole hassel of drug testing to be a reason not to try. By saying they can do what they want on their own time and to show up sober and capable some of them might be willing to do those jobs since there are already a bunch of them doing those jobs.

I can see what you are saying, but I also know a lot of people who do those sorts of jobs who do drugs. So if the people in those positions are doing drugs, could we be driving people away from those positions because it is not worth them working that hard and then not being allowed to use drugs? Do you see what I am saying that some drug users at that level of employment might consider the whole hassel of drug testing to be a reason not to try. By saying they can do what they want on their own time and to show up sober and capable some of them might be willing to do those jobs since there are already a bunch of them doing those jobs.

I get your point, but I don't think it has anything whatsoever to do with illegal immigration. Hell, I smoke weed just about every night, and I work as an engineer, so I get it.

I get your point, but I don't think it has anything whatsoever to do with illegal immigration. Hell, I smoke weed just about every night, and I work as an engineer, so I get it.

I was just wondering if it might be something subtle about it.

Back
Top Bottom