• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does the Death of Justice RBG help or hurt either Biden or Trump's chances

Does the death of Justice RBG help or hurt Biden Or Trump's chances?

• Total voters
Younger Cuban Americans are shifting towards the Dems, regardless of whatever clown Trump picks.

That is what was said back in 2016 as well. Then the Cuban-Americans delivered Florida to Trump anyway.

Harris hurts Biden in Florida anyway you look at it. She has been far too chummy with the AOC pro-Castro, Pro- Maduro lefties. Even younger Cuban progressives still have grandparent who were lied to about "it only land and income equality" from Castro.

Harris was a poor choice. Had Biden picked Klobachar or Whitmere he would have had an easier shot.

Heh, prior to Trump candidates Republican and Democrat never released any "lists" of who they'd appoint to the SC if elected. Only reason why Trump ever did it was because he had to convince "conservatives" to ignore his liberal past, and thus him releasing some "list" of potential SC picks that was pre approved by the federalist society was the only way he felt he could do it. Never mind the fact that "conservatives" would have voted for him anyway because the R next to his name.
Trump’s last was not liberal Nor was it conservative . His past was about greasing the palms he needed to grease. He was not especially ideological.

Helps Biden definitely; pretty much the day of Ginsburg's death I anticipated it would galvanize Dems with the terror of what would happen should Biden lose while underlining and emphasizing for them exactly what's at stake, thus improving their turn out/motivation (for which they frankly can use all the help they can get as Biden is typically a 'lesser evil' candidate to most Dems and there is a definite enthusiasm deficit vis a vis Republicans who are already at a peak here) and fundraising; the latter assumption has thus far proven correct.

Moreover, most Americans seem to approve on holding off on a new Justice until the election is resolved; I don't know how material that will be in the ultimate scheme of things, but it's definitely not good news for Trump and Mitch who obviously want to ramrod one as soon as humanly possible (also Mitch's hypocrisy on the matter is a bad look that Biden can easily spin).
No. The objective person knows that this is an advantage for Trump

So why didn't the senate consider Garland? Fact is, the GOP invented an argument to set a new precedent to stop Obama appointing a new SC, and now they want to ignore their own precedent.
This particular Democratic congress has NO room to bitch about anything. Scoundrels, all of them.

It slightly helps Trump but overall, I doubt it will be significant.

Everyone was aware that RBG wasn't likely to last through another 4 years, given her health. Had Biden been elected, she likely would have retired. Had Trump been reelected, he would be filling her seat anyway.

At this point, it could go either way. Most likely Trump will get to fill it, regardless of the election outcome of either the Presidency or Senate, but this could depend on several factors, but most importantly who he sends up. Whether he nominates before or after the election could change the outcome though of especially Senate elections.

Most are aware of the President appointing Justices being an issue for this cycle, so it really doesn't help Trump anymore than before. In fact, if someone was only voting for Trump on this it could give votes to Biden, figuring Trump will get to make this selection so he wouldn't be needed anymore.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

So why didn't the senate consider Garland? Fact is, the GOP invented an argument to set a new precedent to stop Obama appointing a new SC, and now they want to ignore their own precedent.
When Republicans or Democrats have the majority, they exercise that power. It’s been constant throughout our history.

It COULD help Trump if he nominates the Floridian Cuban-American woman from his list. Wouldn't she be the first Latino on the SCOTUS?
SOTOMAYOR is Latino.
But I had the same thought about Lagoa because I thought she might have an easier time getting through.
But seeing what's been going on I don't think it matters if he goes with Barrett.
All of them realize they're going to have everything thrown at them. Threats, protests, media attacks, lies ... they'll all get the full Kavanaugh.

Your average Trump supporter probably can't even spell the word "productive", let alone actually be productive.
the average Trump voter is just as smart-and far more patriotic-than the average Sniffy supporter.

I actually think Trump should wait on this. If it becomes an election issue, Kasich and Romney types will swing towards Trump.

You seem like a rather clever American so I'll give you a perspective from the outside. Canada.
The situation looms in which the Scotus will end up politically packed with religious right extremists who are anxious to take down Roe vs. Wade. That's a safe assumption!

Trump is poised to create a situation in which a 6-3 right biased court will easily accomplish the longstanding goal.

But consider the situation he will have created! Something like 75% of the American people are smart enough to understand that abortion must be accessible to women in need and 'will' be. And add to that the fact that America is finally starting to throw off religious superstition and is getting ready to join the rest of the modern world in the 21st. century.

Don't sweat it! It's getting pretty clear to outsiders that America needs to hit rock bottom before the establishment's lock on the people's wellbeing is broken. With the nomination of Biden it should have become clear that political means can't do it and hope in the Dems doing it is dead. Bernie was the last hope for that sort of remedy!

Good luck!

I actually think Trump should wait on this. If it becomes an election issue, Kasich and Romney types will swing towards Trump.
And there’s a problem with that how?

And there’s a problem with that how?
???

We want Kasich and Romney types to vote Republican.

If Trump makes a nomination before the election, it no longer becomes an election issue.

If Trump waits, and Kasich, for example, votes for Biden, then Kasich will in effect be choosing a liberal justice for the vacancy.

???

That’s a good thing.

We want Kasich and Romney types to vote Republican.

If Trump makes a nomination before the election, it no longer becomes an election issue.
Romney has already chimed in. He’s in favor of following the Constitution and the leaders of the government doing their sworn duty. I don’t think he likes Trump though.

May have misunderstood your point. I tied your first statement with the last.

Romney has already chimed in. He’s in favor of following the Constitution and the leaders of the government doing their sworn duty. I don’t think he likes Trump though.

May have misunderstood your point. I tied your first statement with the last.

If Trump waits, and Romney or Kasich vote for Biden, they will be in effect choosing a liberal justice for the vacancy.

If Trump nominates before the election, the nomination will stand, regardless of whether Romney or Kasich vote for Biden.

Holding off increases their incentive to vote Republican.

If Trump waits, and Romney or Kasich vote for Biden, they will be in effect choosing a liberal justice for the vacancy.

If Trump nominates before the election, the nomination will stand, regardless of whether Romney or Kasich vote for Biden.

Holding off increases their incentive to vote Republican.
I disagree. Trump is fulfilling his Constitutional duty to nominate a candidate to the SC. Romney agrees with that but I doubt that’s going to sway him to vote for Trump.

I disagree. Trump is fulfilling his Constitutional duty to nominate a candidate to the SC. Romney agrees with that but I doubt that’s going to sway him to vote for Trump.
If Trump holds off, do you think Romney and Kasich would vote for Biden, and allow him to nominate a liberal justice to fill the vacancy?

If Trump holds off, do you think Romney and Kasich would vote for Biden, and allow him to nominate a liberal justice to fill the vacancy?
I think both have already stated who they will vote for. Biden. I don’t see this issue changing their minds but they are good at flip flopping. So who knows. They’ll probably get up the morning of the election and test the wind to see which way it’s blowing.

I think both have already stated who they will vote for. Biden. I don’t see this issue changing their minds but they are good at flip flopping. So who knows. They’ll probably get up the morning of the election and test the wind to see which way it’s blowing.
Yeah, I’m changing my mind about this.

Democrats have essentially vowed to challenge the Election results no matter what happens.

It’s too much of a risk to have an even number of justices on the Court.

No. The objective person knows that this is an advantage for Trump

I feel I'm objective in providing the rationale for my stance which is supported by the facts in terms of enthusiasm metrics, fundraising numbers, and popular support for deferment of the Justice selection.

I feel I'm objective in providing the rationale for my stance which is supported by the facts in terms of enthusiasm metrics, fundraising numbers, and popular support for deferment of the Justice selection.
There’s popular support among most liberals.

I don’t “feel” I’m objective. I know I am.

I don’t “feel” I’m objective. I know I am.

Lol, okay, if you say so.

And no, the polling in favour of waiting features majoritarian popular support; it's not particularly strong, just barely at or clearing the 50% threshold, but it's there, with only a small minority in favour of an immediate appointment.

I think that the majority of those who already wanted a Conservative court were already going to vote Trump (even if they despised him) to get four more years worth of potential time for nominations, so nothing gained there. On the flip side, I think it will motivate what few voters that were left on the sidelines - and if the nominee gets rushed through prior to election day, or is looking to be a potential lame duck nomination process, it could help Biden.

Is either candidate helped by the prospect of the vacancy on the Supreme court? Will Trump use it to rally his voters or will Biden use it to amp up the attack against Trump

The massive fraud that the democrats are engaged in ensures this election will be decided by the SCOTUS. Just removing RGB destroys the prospects of the Marxists to have the court hand them a victory. Even without Barrett on the court, the best they can hope for is a 4-4 split with Roberts siding with the Marxists. But Roberts liked to play the spoiler, so there is a good chance he would side with the Americans.

This totally changes the election and virtually assures a Trump victory. I mean, Trump will win the election, no one an any side has any doubt of that, but this thwarts the ability of the democrats and a host of corrupt judges to steal the election by voting until Harris wins, voting for weeks after the election to push a win by the dims. SCOTUS will rule the actions of the corrupt democrat judges in Michigan and Pennsylvania unconstitutional.

Back
Top Bottom