• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does the Death of Justice RBG help or hurt either Biden or Trump's chances

Does the death of Justice RBG help or hurt Biden Or Trump's chances?

• Total voters
Why would he want to do it before the election? He can use it as a rallying cry to motivate his base to come out, without endangering McConnel's vulnerable Senators. I think he's best served by letting the nomination become the dominate issue clouding-out his negative issues like coronavirus, riding it into the election while blaming the Dems for impeding his progress. Then, he can confirm her during lame-duck or re-election, and McConnel's vulnerable Senators can vote with impunity.

Watching Trumpers tying themselves into knots trying to justify Trump nominating a SC pick after he's lost the election, after the crap they pulled in 2016, will be interesting.

Aunt Antifa said:
Kinda shimmy a little, you’re stuck on skip.
Is that what you think? That's nice.

I'm not sure how many undecided voters are left by this point.
If someone hasn't decided given the process has been going on for what feels like forever then the rock they must be living under must be pretty huge.

If anything made sense anymore the hypocrisy of the Republicans trying to fill a Supreme Court vacancy in an election year after blocking Obama from doing so for that specific reason should make people take notice but I fear it won't.

This helps Donald Trump because he will most likely be nominating a woman--- and the left will on cue go ape sh** angry over her, and that only makes the Democrats look bad to suburban women voters.

Even if Mitch McConnell isn't able to keep the herd together to confirm the nomination before the election... or next January. The debate helps Donald Trump. Because the Dems will once again come off as shrill, nasty, vile, and ugly.... because they just can't help from being what they are.

This helps Donald Trump because he will most likely be nominating a woman--- and the left will on cue go ape sh** angry over her, and that only makes the Democrats look bad to suburban women voters.

Even if Mitch McConnell isn't able to keep the herd together to confirm the nomination before the election... or next January. The debate helps Donald Trump. Because the Dems will once again come off as shrill, nasty, vile, and ugly.... because they just can't help from being what they are.

Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty.”

I don't think it'll help either candidate much, but if it's going to help anyone I think it'll be Biden. Trump appointing a new justice is a done deal. He doesn't need to be re-elected for it to happen, so I doubt it'll drive people to vote for him that otherwise wouldn't.

There are some far-left Democrats who want to see more justices added to the supreme court and for any chance of that to happen, Biden would need to win and the Dems would need to get control of the senate. A lot of those people aren't too enthusiastic about Biden because he's too close to the center, so you could see a few more votes his way from this.

When you stated the Dems could get a boost, who would they be voting for or against if a SCOTUS nominee is already confirmed by a Republican Senate.?
I don't guess you've been keeping up with the drive to add seats to SCOTUS...

It helps Trump. The dems will without a doubt have to focus on an attack against her religion. This is an attack on our 1st Amendment and for those astute members...we know attacking the 1st Amendment, the 2nd Amendment and supporting people who kill children, cops and who are setting fire to town is not a winning strategy in America.

Anything that forces sleepy Joe to speak helps Trump

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

As President, Donald Trump's duty to appoint a conservative judge in replacing RBG.

Polls show it actually motivates Biden voters more. The last thing they want is for Trump and the GOP to shove some other right wing hack down the nation’s throat to further tilt the SC to the right.

also lol@ Trump worshippers bragging about pandering with a female potentially minority pick. These losers have no shame.

Might counter the scummy Bloomberg's attempt to buy the state due to his hard on for Trump

youre just salty that Bloomberg could buy and sell 10 fake billionaires like Trump.

You know who it is going to be put in the hot seat? Those Never Trumper self righteous Republicans . These people for YEARS like those who were once part of the now defunct Weekly Standard like Bill Kristol and Stephen Hayes, those lining up to support Biden and those in Congress who do not support Trump and refuse to vote on his nomination like Collins, Murkowski, and possibly Romney. All of these SOB's are on record talking about the need to stop the legislation from the bench and getting constitutional originalists in their place. Everyone of these yahoos is feeling the heat at this time.
Some people don’t want the court politicized. Also a court that is far more right wing than America itself isn’t going to be trusted or held in high regard for the majority of Americans. Some see the bigger picture.

I don't think it will swing the needle. I suppose that if McConnell cannot get a nominee in by election, maybe...maybe it will hurt the Republicans overall. But I don't really think this is anything to swing anyone to either side.
I actually think it stands to hurt America and the GOP.

As always Supreme Court nominees over Roe V Wade ends up to be the clarion call on the left as being in jeopardy. if someone on the right nominates them. I think something needs to be cleared up in how Constitutional Originalist jurists view the law.

Constitutional Originalist jurists know their place and that is to interpret the law the legislative branch has put forth. They know it is not their purpose to legislate from the bench but to interpret all things within the current laws of the land.

Unfortunately the left in Congress has added a litmus test to such jurists and that is if they are personally pro life somehow that makes them unqualified even though their personal views have nothing to do with how they view the law before them.

However, because of the far left stretch in supporting abortion up till delivery, there is a case to be made that Roe V Wade does not support such a thing because it amounts to infanticide.

There are millions of pro life Democrats in this country. They are appalled with this latest stance of their party to support abortion up to delivery. They begged their party to change it but they did not.

Right now the reason for hoping for constitutional Originalists on any federal court is to stop legislation from the bench.
You want RvW overturned. Can you please be honest?

the only thing it is going to do is to motivate both sides to the polls. That changes though if he nominates before the election...then Democrats become motivated and Republicans become complacent.

It helps Joe imho. Everyone knows RBG was not going to make it another 4 years, so if Trump won, he'd still replace her with a Con. Thus, that incentive was already there. So no boost. On the flipside, this will wake a lot of people up who don't want another Con in SCOTUS, so turnout for Dems might just get a boost.
Maybe just a little boost? N. VA has second day of early voting showing huge lines. I would say dems are extremely enthusiastic and likely this is adding to that.

It isn't right wing.

A "living" constitution is political by definition. Trumps picks will be and have been strict constitutionalists or in fact not political. Judges who will leave the legislating to the legislatures providing the legislation adheres to the constitution as written and amended. Democrats want to achieve what they cannot do legislatively be judicial decrees.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

It helps Joe imho. Everyone knows RBG was not going to make it another 4 years, so if Trump won, he'd still replace her with a Con. Thus, that incentive was already there. So no boost. On the flipside, this will wake a lot of people up who don't want another Con in SCOTUS, so turnout for Dems might just get a boost.
All this depends on the Senate. If Trump nominates someone it goes to the Senate. At that point it doesn’t matter who is President. There’s a lot of time between now and January 21. The Democrats better hope they can recapture the Senate.

If Trump manages to ram a nominee through then it helps Joe Biden immensely
Even the talk of ramming through a SCOTUS pick is helping him immensely. Just do a google search on how donations have been going since Friday night. Biden and down ballot dems are kicking ass and taking names.

Is either candidate helped by the prospect of the vacancy on the Supreme court? Will Trump use it to rally his voters or will Biden use it to amp up the attack against Trump
I voted it helps Biden. Trump's supporters were going to vote for him anyway. Biden's had a lack of enthusiasm and this event has caused a swelling in Donations to Biden. I think that about says it all. It will encourage people to come out and vote for Biden, much the same as Trump was helped in 2016 by having a SC vacancy. If Trump picks Barbara Lagoa, it assures him of Florida but I think Trump was going to win Florida anyway even without her.

I don't guess you've been keeping up with the drive to add seats to SCOTUS...
add or take them away...some of us are arguing to go back to the founder priniciples and leave the Supreme Court at 7 and remove two of those seats...both the presently empty seat that was Ginsburg's and the seat that Kavanaugh holds...they would have a hard time arguing against the originalist intent.

given a choice, I'd rather have Trump fill the seat with another CT or Sam Alito clone than win the election

and give up 4 more years of Trump making leftists heads explode, nah

Back
Top Bottom