• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does Society Act?

Does Society Act?

• Yes

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Dick Armey's Pubic Hair

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

phattonez

Catholic
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
We all know that individuals act, but does society act?

We all know that individuals act, but does society act?
WTF is with the third poll option?

And, since individuals ARE society, yes.

Society acts... popular uprisings and revolutions... voting, etc.

I am a group of people?
No.

Individuals are the - pun intended - individual members of a group or groups.

Thus, they are society.

IMO, any actions that a group makes are simply a group of individuals acting in concert.

Society is simply a collection of individuals, so certainly when a group of individuals act, society acts.

Not sure why this is a question.

No.

Individuals are the - pun intended - individual members of a group or groups.

Thus, they are society.

IMO, any actions that a group makes are simply a group of individuals acting in concert.

Then it's not the group acting, it's the individuals.

I understand your philosophical point but it honestly I'm not interested atm.

The study of sociology necessarily depends on it, as does the idea of classes.

I'm not acting, this **** is real.

Then it's not the group acting, it's the individuals.
Precisely my point.

Individuals and society are the same thing.

If individuals act, society is acting.

If "society acts", it's individuals who are doing the acting.

And, to the wiseass that shall go unnamed, we’re talking about “act” in terms of an action, not “act” in terms of entertainment. Although there is crossover.

Sadly? Not so much

Define your terms.

Precisely my point.

And, to the wiseass that shall go unnamed, we’re talking about “act” in terms of an action, not “act” in terms of entertainment. Although there is crossover.

It's not just a cross-over, they are the same thing. Both are rehearsed. One on a stage, the other in the mind.

Sadly? Not so much
You are incorrect.

I just typed something in response to your post - thus, society acted.

Multiple people read this post - which was society acting.

The individual and society are one and the same, IMO.

If what you meant by your statement was more along the lines of “Sadly, not so much along the lines I would prefer”, then you are even more incorrect.

Since, obviously, whatever society does, however distasteful and/or contrary to one’s wishes, is still…society acting.

Precisely my point.

But you can't say that the group is acting then, just the individuals.

But you can't say that the group is acting then, just the individuals.

Does a sports team act as group or as individuals?

It is a flow through issue

Do members of the military act as individuals or as a group\

Individuals perform the actions for the group, both have acted. It is just that without the individuals the group would not exist. The individuals can and do exist without the group

Does a sports team act as group or as individuals?

It is a flow through issue

Do members of the military act as individuals or as a group\

Individuals perform the actions for the group, both have acted. It is just that without the individuals the group would not exist. The individuals can and do exist without the group

When France invades Italy, is it the whole of France, or just the leaders of the country and the soldiers who were part of the invasion?

When France invades Italy, is it the whole of France, or just the leaders of the country and the soldiers who were part of the invasion?

Did the soldiers invade as individuals because they felt like it, or because the organization they are part of told them to?

In general

A person or group of persons make a decision for an organization. That decision requires individuals to perform actions either as individuals or as part of a group (some thing just cant be done on an individual basis). When you combine all the individual actions and group actions you have an overall organization that has acted.

Individuals can act without society, society can not act without individuals

Society acts... popular uprisings and revolutions... voting, etc.

I understand what you are saying, but it is individuals that act as a group that we call society... ;)

Why don't you just get down to the krux of the issue, phatty, and claim that society doesn't exist, quote Thatcher, and then proclaim victory?

Why don't you just get down to the krux of the issue, phatty, and claim that society doesn't exist, quote Thatcher, and then proclaim victory?

I just want people to realize that society is just an intellectual construct and that it has no bearing in reality.

I just want people to realize that society is just an intellectual construct and that it has no bearing in reality.

All concepts and ideas are constructs. How much bearing they have in reality is determined by how functional they prove in describing an entity.

There is a practical difference when one individual acts and when many individuals act. We invent the concept of society to describe the information processing and actions which occur when many individuals organize under common rules and procedures, because the process is different from how an individual acts.

A single individual can't enforce the law, for example, but many individuals can. Even the possibility that a mass of individuals stand aginst wrongdoing discourages crime in a way the threat of single individual does not.

There are some who would argue 'individual' itslf is an intellectual construct and has no bearing in reality.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom