• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does Profiling Work?

The Baron

Knight in Shining Armor
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
An interesting thread being debated at the moment asks if people are alarmed when they see a Muslim on an aircraft.

One response addressed the issue of profiling as it pertains to Muslims. I have long watched the debate surrounding profiling and the argument against it seems to be that the profiling is “racist”, “bigoted” and essentially politically incorrect.

However, the one question I’ve never heard addressed on the nightly news, in newspapers, magazine articles, or even on the web is whether or not profiling actually works.

If it does work and will save lives then our government has been negligent (and arguable criminally negligent) is doing all they can to save American lives and profiling should be implemented immediately.

If it simply doesn’t work then who cares…drop the subject and let’s find something that does work.

What say you?

An interesting thread being debated at the moment asks if people are alarmed when they see a Muslim on an aircraft.

One response addressed the issue of profiling as it pertains to Muslims. I have long watched the debate surrounding profiling and the argument against it seems to be that the profiling is “racist”, “bigoted” and essentially politically incorrect.

However, the one question I’ve never heard addressed on the nightly news, in newspapers, magazine articles, or even on the web is whether or not profiling actually works.

If it does work and will save lives then our government has been negligent (and arguable criminally negligent) is doing all they can to save American lives and profiling should be implemented immediately.

If it simply doesn’t work then who cares…drop the subject and let’s find something that does work.

What say you?

Good points.

Being a minority I can tell you from my perspective it can go from reasonable to harassment real quick.

I don't know how well it works, I do know it quickly makes people feel like second class citizens and seems to stomp all over our right to move around freely.

So I don't see it as a viable option because it is just made to be abused.

Why should I loose my freedoms because of someone else's unreasonable fear?

Edit: Regular profiling that includes race is OK. It helps law enforcement identify suspects etc. I am talking about using race alone as a profile.

Last edited:

What say you?

Our Government has been negligent. They try for Fairness and to be PC but fall short. Individuals with Islamic names, or dressed a certain way should be profiled in some instances AND actually are unofficially.

One reason on 9/11/01 that Mohammad Atta took the Commuter flight from Portland, Main into Logan was to be inside the Security zone already just in case the bunch destined to board UA175 got stopped at Check in. Consequently he thought Profiling might be going on.

We now have full body scans that show briefly to guys & gals who are in some cases Alumni of Burger King as much body parts as to have gotten an old camcorder guy busted 15 years ago.

We infringe upon Millions but We worry about the feelings of a sub Minority who in some instances sympathize with the 9/11 attackers.

Common Sense, Folks.

Our Government has been negligent. They try for Fairness and to be PC but fall short. Individuals with Islamic names, or dressed a certain way should be profiled in some instances AND actually are unofficially.

This is so stupid and the facts say different.

It was because our agency's were not allowed to share information. :roll:

One reason on 9/11/01 that Mohammad Atta took the Commuter flight from Portland, Main into Logan was to be inside the Security zone already just in case the bunch destined to board UA175 got stopped at Check in. Consequently he thought Profiling might be going on.

We now have full body scans that show briefly to guys & gals who are in some cases Alumni of Burger King as much body parts as to have gotten an old camcorder guy busted 15 years ago.

We infringe upon Millions but We worry about the feelings of a sub Minority who in some instances sympathize with the 9/11 attackers.

Common Sense, Folks.

Most of what you have said is not only not true, but according to all reports after 9/11 completely off base.

Bigotry is bigotry. It has nothing to do with being PC.

Profiling works, but not as you are seeing it referred to. Profiling based on how a person acts is more effective than profiling based on race. Pulling some one aside to check them if they are muslim, and you are much less likely to have success than pulling some one aside who is acting unusually nervous. A nonflight example: a bunch of black kids hanging out is not necessarily a gang, but a bunch of kids of any race dressed in colors and acting aggressive probably is.

"I don't know how well it works, I do know it quickly makes people feel like second class citizens and seems to stomp all over our right to move around freely." - Blackdog

But doesn't our right to life trump thier "right" to move around freely?

"Why should I loose my freedoms because of someone else's unreasonable fear?" - Blackdog

How is it unreasonable to believe that a Muslim would hijack an aircraft?

"I don't know how well it works, I do know it quickly makes people feel like second class citizens and seems to stomp all over our right to move around freely." - Blackdog

But doesn't our right to life trump thier "right" to move around freely?

Please point out how since 9/11 your life has been threatened by a Muslim? Or how it has affected your right to life in any way, since no racial profiling has been needed since 9/11.

"Why should I loose my freedoms because of someone else's unreasonable fear?" - Blackdog

How is it unreasonable to believe that a Muslim would hijack an aircraft?

Because the vast majority of Muslims are no more terrorists than you or I.

I suppose you show the same level of fear about Christians shooting or better yet blowing up abortion clinics? I suppose you show the same level of fear for Timothy McViegh types?

If so, why are we not profiling white males?

Of course the fact I should even have to type that says allot.

Edit Why couldn't you respond in one post? Also why did you cut out my last line? ...

Regular profiling that includes race is OK. It helps law enforcement identify suspects etc. I am talking about using race alone as a profile. - Blackdog

Trying to male it look like I am against all profiling by taking things out of context?

Last edited:

What say you?

Of course, profiling works.

Profiling is an inherently human instinct, part of our genetic make-up. Can it interfere with the civil rights of another? Absolutely. It's a fine line we walk when law enforcement relies on profiling, but it makes perfect sense to do so. Without profiling, our police departments wouldn't know where to start.

I support the use of race as a factor in criminal profiling.

Profiling based solely on race is wrong, and dangerous.

Of course, profiling works.

Profiling is an inherently human instinct, part of our genetic make-up. Can it interfere with the civil rights of another? Absolutely. It's a fine line we walk when law enforcement relies on profiling, but it makes perfect sense to do so. Without profiling, our police departments wouldn't know where to start.

Look at his quote and you will see his deception. He is not talking about simple profiling. He is talking about profiling based only on religion or race. Then he makes it sound like he is taliking about just profiling, which only includes race or religion as part of an overall profile.

“Please point out how since 9/11 your life has been threatened by a Muslim? Or how it has affected your right to life in any way, since no racial profiling has been needed since 9/11.” - Blackdog

Authorities are constantly chasing down new threats all the time and terrorists have made it known that they are not only looking to duplicate 9/11 but they want a nuclear 9/11 (Hello Iran!).

But I’m sure that since 9/11 you’ve heard of threats against the Brooklyn Bridge, the bomb that was recently detected in Times Square, the shooting attack at Fort Hood and there are many other that neither of us have heard of as evidenced by the periodic changing of the government’s “color coded warning system”.

These plans and attacks are not taking place because Islam is such a wonderful religion of peace.

“Because the vast majority of Muslims are no more terrorists than you or I.” - Blackdog

No doubt about it, but my holy book tells me to love my enemies. His holy book tells him to kill the infidel and the Jew which I’m pretty sure includes both of us.

“I suppose you show the same level of fear about Christians shooting or better yet blowing up abortion clinics?” - Blackdog

While I disagree with it, these seem to be very rare instances by some very strange people.

“I suppose you show the same level of fear for Timothy McViegh types?” - Blackdog

Heck, yea! Common sense will teach you to be scarred of crazy.

“If so, why are we not profiling white males?” - Blackdogs

I’m all for it! They comprise the most serial killers, etc. But at the same time we should give all Swedish, midget, yodelers and fat chicks a break and move them to the front of the line since these two groups have never gotten all wrapped-up in the whole terrorism and serial killer culture.

“Edit Why couldn't you respond in one post? Also why did you cut out my last line? ...” - Blackdog

Sorry. I got in a hurry and screwed-up.

This is so stupid and the facts say different.

It was because our agency's were not allowed to share information. :roll:

Most of what you have said is not only not true, but according to all reports after 9/11 completely off base.

Bigotry is bigotry. It has nothing to do with being PC.

Actually it is True. Atta came in via Portland on the commuter flight to avoid the Logan security.

I haven't been there in a long time now BUT possibly United and American are nearby in the Main Terminal. He wanted to avoid a second glance just in case the other bunch got stopped AND they indeed had difficulty. Two of the Vermin couldn't fill out the boarding questionaires and needed help from a UA Counter Clerk. She surely has heavy issues till this day over it.

“Please point out how since 9/11 your life has been threatened by a Muslim? Or how it has affected your right to life in any way, since no racial profiling has been needed since 9/11.” - Blackdog

Authorities are constantly chasing down new threats all the time and terrorists have made it known that they are not only looking to duplicate 9/11 but they want a nuclear 9/11 (Hello Iran!).

But I’m sure that since 9/11 you’ve heard of threats against the Brooklyn Bridge, the bomb that was recently detected in Times Square, the shooting attack at Fort Hood and there are many other that neither of us have heard of as evidenced by the periodic changing of the government’s “color coded warning system”.

These plans and attacks are not taking place because Islam is such a wonderful religion of peace.

So in other words not only have you not been affected by any Muslims. Nor lost your freedom to life.

Wow! All that without the need of religious or racial profiling!!

Nice job avoiding my questions though.

“Because the vast majority of Muslims are no more terrorists than you or I.” - Blackdog

No doubt about it, but my holy book tells me to love my enemies. His holy book tells him to kill the infidel and the Jew which I’m pretty sure includes both of us.

Some interpret it that way, some do not. It is much the same with any religion and cherry picking what you want it to say.

Still no need for religious or racial profiling.

“I suppose you show the same level of fear about Christians shooting or better yet blowing up abortion clinics?” - Blackdog

While I disagree with it, these seem to be very rare instances by some very strange people.

“I suppose you show the same level of fear for Timothy McViegh types?” - Blackdog

Heck, yea! Common sense will teach you to be scarred of crazy.

Well if you want to live your life scared to cross the street due to the chance of getting hit by a car, be my guest. Be warned that most will laugh at you. I mean you do know you have a greater chance of being hit by a random bus, than being injured in a terrorist attack? :lol:

“If so, why are we not profiling white males?” - Blackdogs

I’m all for it! They comprise the most serial killers, etc. But at the same time we should give all Swedish, midget, yodelers and fat chicks a break and move them to the front of the line since these two groups have never gotten all wrapped-up in the whole terrorism and serial killer culture.

Ahhh so you are for a police state. It makes sense now.

“Edit Why couldn't you respond in one post? Also why did you cut out my last line? ...” - Blackdog

Sorry. I got in a hurry and screwed-up.

OK.

Last edited:
Actually it is True. Atta came in via Portland on the commuter flight to avoid the Logan security.

I haven't been there in a long time now BUT possibly United and American are nearby in the Main Terminal. He wanted to avoid a second glance just in case the other bunch got stopped AND they indeed had difficulty. Two of the Vermin couldn't fill out the boarding questionaires and needed help from a UA Counter Clerk. She surely has heavy issues till this day over it.

I did not really respond to this portion of your post because it was pretty irrelevant, well actually it still is.

I believe the term you all are looking for is "arbitrary profiling".

“So in other words not only have you not been affected by any Muslims. Nor lost your freedom to life.” – Blackdog

Everybody has been affected by the terrorist attacks on 9/11 and , no, most Muslims did not have anything to do with that. And yes I still have my freedoms, including getting undressed at the Airport.

“Some interpret it that way, some do not. It is much the same with any religion and cherry picking what you want it to say.” – Blackdog

No cherry picking required. The Koran simply spells out to kill the Jew and the Infidel (that’s me and you, bro).

By contrast, the Bible tells us to love our enemies.

“Still no need for religious or racial profiling.” – Blackdog

Why? Does it not work?

But if it does work and will spare the live of blacks, whiles, Muslims, Christians, Jews, straights and gays, young and old, then are we not honor bound to use profiling?

“Ahhh so you are for a police state. It makes sense now.” – Blackdog

Nah! I wanna police Muslims. If they ever take a fundamental view of their Koran in this country then we’re screwed like the folks at Fort Hood.

(While another subject, George Bush got a lot of credit for no more terrorist attacks on American soil while he was President. Under Obama’s watch we already have one).

Dang, I’m tired. Even I can tell I’m all over the place.

Have a good night, buddy.

Back
Top Bottom