• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does no one eat sherbet anymore?

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Seems to be getting harder to find, and I cant imagine why. Once upon a time I could count on a store to have at least three flavors, now I have trouble finding one.

Seems to be getting harder to find, and I cant imagine why. Once upon a time I could count on a store to have at least three flavors, now I have trouble finding one.

It's old folks Ice cream

It's old folks Ice cream

Please give me more....why dont young people like it? It has fruit, it has less fat than ice cream, it has tons of flavor....what exactly is the problem with it?

Please give me more....why dont young people like it? It has fruit, it has less fat than ice cream, it has tons of flavor....what exactly is the problem with it?

I'm with you

I'm trying to get away from dairy

I always liked Sherbet

The stores I shop in carry orange, lime, and "rainbow." Only one carries pineapple, though. Lime is essential for the most popular punch served at various events.

My question is why people mispronounce the word, adding an "r." It's not "sherbert"; it's "sherbet." This makes me crazy.

If you've ever wondered why "sorbet" is pronounced "sor-bay" while "sherbet" isn't pronounced "sher-bay," this is because one is French and the other Persian.

The stores I shop in carry orange, lime, and "rainbow." Only one carries pineapple, though. Lime is essential for the most popular punch served at various events.

My question is why people mispronounce the word, adding an "r." It's not "sherbert"; it's "sherbet." This makes me crazy.

If you've ever wondered why "sorbet" is pronounced "sor-bay" while "sherbet" isn't pronounced "sher-bay," this is because one is French and the other Persian.

My store carries the same variety, I like orange the most.

I am also guilty of saying "sherbert". :3oops:

I have a Rasberry and a Lime in the freezer right now.

My grand kids prefer the sherbet over ice cream when they are over.

I have a Rasberry and a Lime in the freezer right now.

My grand kids prefer the sherbet over ice cream when they are over.

They'd love the "strawberry swirl" that one of my stores sells. I'm not much of a sweets person, but I generally prefer sherbet to ice cream. It's not so "heavy."

My store carries the same variety, I like orange the most.

I am also guilty of saying "sherbert". :3oops:

Shame! (Not really; everybody mispronounces it!) Do you pronounce the "l" in "salmon"?

Sounds like the work of the bus drivers to utopia trying to stop cavities.

We used to be better.

The rebellion demands sherbet!

Nope. :mrgreen:

Whew! :lol:

Just FYI, if you decide to take the high road and pronounce it correctly, people will look at you funny and maybe pity you. This is why in most circumstances I've deliberately mispronounced "clique" since I was a little kid.

Sherbets, sorbets, are made from either heavy cream or whole milk, sugar, more sugar, fruit pulp and more sugar. It is high end dairy, with lipids and sugar, an illusion of a lighter healthier desert than ice cream. Most commercial frozen fruit ices have even more sugar, but not the lipids from cream and whole milk. Those trendy and tasty gelato just add some gelatin to the mix, animal bones, hooves and hides broken down for the collagen.

My personal favorites include home made ice creams and granites. For both I can control the sugars, using real cane sugar rather than fructose, corn syrup, the latter prevalent in the commercial products. I can reduce the lipid content with low fat creams or unflavored yogurt, and when it comes to granites, I can use honey, maple and agave sweeteners and fruit or vegetable pulps, even peppers. Lower sugars and reduced lipids are a touch healthier, and the concentrated flavor means more palate satisfaction with smaller servings, less cloying aftertastes and a cleaner palate. Plus, even tho granite sounds fancy, fooling the ear, it is just frozen fruit and added sugar.

Still, on a hot summer day, there is nothing quite like a popsicle on a stick, or Italian ices in a paper cup, with the melting residue all over your face and hands, no matter how much you try to lick it off. Either choice means sticky fingers and a stickier face. :)

Damn, I hate green jello! Worse if it is made with canned fruit cocktail and tiny marshmallows.

Many thanks to the OP for reminding this eightysomething about sherbet.

I had forgotten all about it.

I love ice cream, but it's so delicious that I cannot stop eating it.

At least sherbet gives me the cold and creamy sensation that I crave without so many calories.

Many thanks to the OP for reminding this eightysomething about sherbet.

I had forgotten all about it.

At least sherbet gives me the cold and creamy sensation that I crave without so many calories.

Me too Parser, me and my son just the other day devoured a 1/2 gallon of Mint & Chip in less than an hour(LOL)

I do not object to Sherbet! :)

I do not object to Sherbet! :)

I had not had any in years, I get a wild hair when I see someone in a movie eating it, my wife does all of the shopping (She does coupons)....

Me: "Wifey, would you pick up some sherbet next time, I dont care what flavor"....

Wifey: "What's that?".

True Story

This may be the only time you and I will agree on anything. Sorbet is better than sherbet, sherbet is better than ice cream.

This may be the only time you and I will agree on anything. Sorbet is better than sherbet, sherbet is better than ice cream.

Its a start....that is what makes the food forum useful......its a place to rebuild the social glue that is mostly kapot in America now...

I dont get the why though, why sherbet seems to be shunned.

Back
Top Bottom