• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does medical privacy matter anymore?

RobertU

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Bruce Willis has aphasia. Jada Pinkett Smith has alopecia. Michael J. Fox keeps reminding us he has Parkinson’s Disease. People reveal their illnesses in GoFundMe pleas to pay their medical bills. Many people reveal their COVID history or vaccination status.

Is medical privacy obsolete? What is medical privacy supposed to protect, anyway? Do you just want people to not think “icky” thoughts about you if they know you have a certain disease? Are you trying to hide a preexisting condition from insurance companies when health care reform is largely eliminating that factor?

Whatever your concerns, is it worth it to burden the taxpayer-funded legal system with medical privacy litigation?

Bruce Willis has aphasia. Jada Pinkett Smith has alopecia. Michael J. Fox keeps reminding us he has Parkinson’s Disease. People reveal their illnesses in GoFundMe pleas to pay their medical bills. Many people reveal their COVID history or vaccination status.

Is medical privacy obsolete? What is medical privacy supposed to protect, anyway? Do you just want people to not think “icky” thoughts about you if they know you have a certain disease? Are you trying to hide a preexisting condition from insurance companies when health care reform is largely eliminating that factor?

Whatever your concerns, is it worth it to burden the taxpayer-funded legal system with medical privacy litigation?

Would you want your wife to know about your gonorrhea?

Would you want your wife to know about your gonorrhea?
If you have a venereal disease, you have a moral obligation and sometimes even a legal obligation to warn a person you might have sexual relations with.

We all have a right to everyone else's medical information so that we can properly protect ourselves and the world as a whole from Covid.

Isn't disclosing a disease yourself different than having it disclosed without your consent?
Yes, but I also ask the question "Why is medical privacy important?"

Yes, but I also ask the question "Why is medical privacy important?"

Maybe a company wouldn't want to hire someone that they know has cancer, MS, whatever, and pay for part of their insurance?

HIPAA laws are to protect the privacy of the patient. They are fully in effect.

If the patient volunteers the information privacy law doesn't apply.

If you have a venereal disease, you have a moral obligation and sometimes even a legal obligation to warn a person you might have sexual relations with.

Moral obligation according to who?

Moral obligation according to who?

Morality often hinges on not intentionally doing harm or causing suffering in others.

Morality often hinges on not intentionally doing harm or causing suffering in others.

What decent person would not tell someone they are sleeping with/wanting to sleep with, that they have an STD?

Not really, previously no one would think it immoral to get on a crowded train with the flu (this might have changed post-COVID). People only do the right thing when they see the possibility of getting held accountable for their actions.

Not really, previously no one would think it immoral to get on a crowded train with the flu

Really? I would, everyone in my family would, people I worked with would, people in my neighborhood would, etc etc. In all cases, it would be avoided or mediated unless an emergency.

So I'm not agreeing with that, obviously. We were careful about being around other people even with colds, including at work.

(this might have changed post-COVID). People only do the right thing when they see the possibility of getting held accountable for their actions.

Wow. So wrong IMO. Interesting tho, you should post it for a topic in the Philisophy sub-forum. (no sarcasm.)

Really? I would, everyone in my family would, people I worked with would, people in my neighborhood would, etc etc. In all cases, it would be avoided or mediated unless an emergency.

So I'm not agreeing with that, obviously. We were careful about being around other people even with colds, including at work.

I didn't claim you would preform the action, I'm saying the action wouldn't be viewed as immoral

Wow. So wrong IMO. Interesting tho, you should post it for a topic in the Philisophy sub-forum. (no sarcasm.)

I'm not wrong and it's easy to prove, just look at driving. Every day on my commute I see at least a dozen drivers that either drive wreckless or selfish because the have the anonymity of driving in a car and no chance of being held accountable for their actions.

We all have a right to everyone else's medical information so that we can properly protect ourselves and the world as a whole from Covid.
Only when it involves a contagious disease than can seriously effect others

Not really, previously no one would think it immoral to get on a crowded train with the flu (this might have changed post-COVID). People only do the right thing when they see the possibility of getting held accountable for their actions.

In Japan it was considered immoral to go on a subway when sick

What, exactly, does the OP want to know.

I didn't claim you would preform the action, I'm saying the action wouldn't be viewed as immoral

No, that was the point I was making. I listed the people that would think it was wrong to do so. Wrong = immoral. As for the 'level' of immorality, that's just as subjective.

I'm not wrong and it's easy to prove, just look at driving. Every day on my commute I see at least a dozen drivers that either drive wreckless or selfish because the have the anonymity of driving in a car and no chance of being held accountable for their actions.

It's "reckless" and I dont see a parallel at all. You dont know the reasons a person is driving that way, for starters. Do you know if they have an emergency? Not all do of course, but you dont know. People have to weigh their actions every day...do I need to get to work and keep my job and feed my family? Maybe I'll speed a little more, etc. You dont know but you are happy to judge and your judgements seem to fall on the negative side.

Back
Top Bottom