• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does God want Christians to be a ‘good guy with a gun’?

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

(RNS) — Does Jesus want you to own a gun?

It’s a question Richard Berry said he wrestled with for years, unsure of how to match his Christian faith with his appreciation for firearms and self-defense. A native of Olathe, Kansas, he told Religion News Service he began grappling with the issue of God and guns in earnest following a 2017 shooting incident near his house.

In February of that year, Srinivas Kuchibhotla and Alok Madasani, both Indian, were enjoying after-work drinks at Austins Bar and Grill when a man named Adam Purinton began to yell and pepper them with questions about their immigration status. Purinton was tossed out of the bar but returned and opened fire, killing Kuchibhotla and wounding Madasani and another man who came to their aid.

Purinton later pled guilty to murder and hate crime charges and is serving four life sentences.

Berry said that after the shooting and other violent incidents in his town, he agonized over whether God would approve of him carrying a concealed weapon to help defend himself or others. He eventually decided that the answer is yes.

“If a violent crime is happening, or if a woman is being raped, is it wrong, scripturally, to defend that person so they don’t die?” he told Religion News Service in a recent phone interview.
===============================================================
I doubt that religion is the primary motivator behind gun ownership.

It’s a question Richard Berry said he wrestled with for years, unsure of how to match his Christian faith with his appreciation for firearms and self-defense. A native of Olathe, Kansas, he told Religion News Service he began grappling with the issue of God and guns in earnest following a 2017 shooting incident near his house.

In February of that year, Srinivas Kuchibhotla and Alok Madasani, both Indian, were enjoying after-work drinks at Austins Bar and Grill when a man named Adam Purinton began to yell and pepper them with questions about their immigration status. Purinton was tossed out of the bar but returned and opened fire, killing Kuchibhotla and wounding Madasani and another man who came to their aid.

Purinton later pled guilty to murder and hate crime charges and is serving four life sentences.

Berry said that after the shooting and other violent incidents in his town, he agonized over whether God would approve of him carrying a concealed weapon to help defend himself or others. He eventually decided that the answer is yes.

“If a violent crime is happening, or if a woman is being raped, is it wrong, scripturally, to defend that person so they don’t die?” he told Religion News Service in a recent phone interview.

I agree with your last sentence but what exactly is your point? People buy guns for all sorts of reasons. Many good, some bad

I applaud him for searching within himself and perhaps studying scripture to gain a better understanding. Before this, I wonder if he viewed people in the Military, LE or CC as someone less than Christian?

il_794xN.1367159137_8xbv.jpg

Yes look I ain't read his book and NASCAR and football kinda take up most Sunday afternoons, but that picture is the only truth I need to have.

“But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. " - Luke 22:36

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight" - Psalm 144:1

If there was a god, I doubt “be a defenseless sheep” would be part of the teachings.

Luke 22:36 he that hath no sword let him sell his cloak and buy one.

Back
Top Bottom