• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does Florida Have it Coming When it Comes to Rising Sea Levels?

Does Florida Have it Coming When it Comes to Rising Sea Levels?

• Yes

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • But my Gam Gam lives there!

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

aberrant85

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I was talking to my uncle in St. Petersburg and he told me he believed in climate change but not that it was caused by humans. For his sake, I hope he's right, because this is what the projected sea level rise looks like by the end of the century for Florida:

florida.jpg

So do people like him in Florida have it coming for not fighting against their cities becoming the new Atlantis?

So do people like him in Florida have it coming for not fighting against their cities becoming the new Atlantis?

No, they have it coming because the choose to live in Florida.

Not really, they will likely get massive federal aid, like New Orleans did (and still does), to stay put at the expense of others. We are a rich nation governed by fools with lots of "access to" other people's money to borrow and spend.

Hell, that ain't nothing. Look what happens due to future Earth changes.

th

This might be more clear:

th

Last edited:
FYI, if there's a sea-rise, it will happen over time not in one fell swoop. There will be plenty of time to relocate GamGam.

Unless of course there's a major tsunami...then all bets are off.

I was talking to my uncle in St. Petersburg and he told me he believed in climate change but not that it was caused by humans. For his sake, I hope he's right, because this is what the projected sea level rise looks like by the end of the century for Florida:

That doesn't make sense. He presumably recognizes the scientific data regarding sea level rise but questions the anthropogenic aspects.

That doesn't make sense. He presumably recognizes the scientific data regarding sea level rise but questions the anthropogenic aspects.

Yup, it's sun spots or the normal temperature cycle of the Earth or something. Either way we can keep burning oil and driving our Hummers.

Yup, it's sun spots or the normal temperature cycle of the Earth or something. Either way we can keep burning oil and driving our Hummers.

Then him being 'right' doesn't change anything in regard to sea level rise (which is scientifically projected at 1m over ~60-110 years).

ps. That 1m sea level rise map has been around for over 10 years.

View attachment 67153205

End of the Century...who cares? No one posting here today will be around then.

End of the Century...who cares? No one posting here today will be around then.

1. That's just by the end of the century, meaning the process will be continuing the whole time and begin impacting people well before then.

2. If you don't care just because you'll be dead by then, you don't care about the generations immediately after us?

1. That's just by the end of the century, meaning the process will be continuing the whole time and begin impacting people well before then.

2. If you don't care just because you'll be dead by then, you don't care about the generations immediately after us?

1. Sand erosion is today's problem. I expect it to be ongoing. Maybe people will finally begin moving away from the beach so that I can see the ocean from the road again.

2. Pretty much.

Have it coming??? :shock: Are you really that cold, that you believe people involved in natural disasters deserve what they get? That's disgusting.

Hell, that ain't nothing. Look what happens due to future Earth changes.

th

This might be more clear:

th

The map is pretty small....does that show the ocean flooding the rocky mountains?

Point taken. How about this:

People like Rick Scott and others who don't believe in global warming but live in the most vulnerable state in the US karmically have it coming.

Rick Scott doesn't believe in global warming | Tampa Bay Times

Whether sea levels rise or not, and they have done so repeatedly over the course of earth's history, and whether one ascribes the current situation as man-made, mostly man-made, or natural does not matter. People who disagree with your personal opinion do not "have it coming". That kind of arrogance is astounding.

Whether sea levels rise or not, and they have done so repeatedly over the course of earth's history, and whether one ascribes the current situation as man-made, mostly man-made, or natural does not matter. People who disagree with your personal opinion do not "have it coming". That kind of arrogance is astounding.

If I were Noah, and God told me to build an ark before he made it rain, and I ignored him and went about my business, I'd have it coming.

If I were Noah, and God told me to build an ark before he made it rain, and I ignored him and went about my business, I'd have it coming.

Wow. I thought you were displaying astounding arrogance when you opined that anyone who disagreed with you had it coming ... and that was before you implied that god spoke to you, just like he spoke to Noah!! At this point my :shock: is gone, replaced by :lamo !!!

:2wave:

Wow. I thought you were displaying astounding arrogance when you opined that anyone who disagreed with you had it coming ... and that was before you implied that god spoke to you, just like he spoke to Noah!! At this point my :shock: is gone, replaced by :lamo !!!

:2wave:

Enough about me, where do you stand on this issue? Do you think it's right the Florida politicians dismiss climate science that has an immediate impact on their state?

a) Yes, that's what I should REALLY be indignant about!
b) No, Florida's doing all it can
c) No, I don't believe in global warming and neither should they

Enough about me, where do you stand on this issue? Do you think it's right the Florida politicians dismiss climate science that has an immediate impact on their state?

a) Yes, that's what I should REALLY be indignant about!
b) No, Florida's doing all it can
c) No, I don't believe in global warming and neither should they

I'm not about to segregate one state for chastisement about what their legislators do or do not believe. Their beliefs do not mean that they deserve tragedy to befall the citizens of their state, or any state. Intelligent people of good character can, and do, disagree on a great many things, including predictions of future climate changes and the potential results.

Do I personally believe that mankind has exacerbated global warming and the accompanying climate change? Yes, yes I do.

Do I personally believe that globally, all countries on the planet should have done more to change lifestyles to slow global warming? Yes, yes I do.

Do I personally believe that the lone state of Florida should be singled out as deserving of ruin because of potential of global catastrophe over the next century, a catastrophe that, if it occurs, has been caused by countries all over the globe, and billions of people? No, no I don't.

I'm not about to segregate one state for chastisement about what their legislators do or do not believe. Their beliefs do not mean that they deserve tragedy to befall the citizens of their state, or any state. Intelligent people of good character can, and do, disagree on a great many things, including predictions of future climate changes and the potential results.

Do I personally believe that mankind has exacerbated global warming and the accompanying climate change? Yes, yes I do.

Do I personally believe that globally, all countries on the planet should have done more to change lifestyles to slow global warming? Yes, yes I do.

Do I personally believe that the lone state of Florida should be singled out as deserving of ruin because of potential of global catastrophe over the next century, a catastrophe that, if it occurs, has been caused by countries all over the globe, and billions of people? No, no I don't.

Well articulated, sorry to have offended you.

The map is pretty small....does that show the ocean flooding the rocky mountains?

Yes. Based on future changes in the tectonic plates. Some places fall while others rise.

Back
Top Bottom