• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does Bart Starr Deserve Consideration Among the Greatest Quarterbacks in NFL History?

Jack Hays

Traveler
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Bart Starr - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_Starr
Starr has the highest playoff passer rating (104.80) of any quarterback in NFL history and a playoff record of 9–1. Starr's career completion percentage of 57.4 ...

Bryan Bartlett "Bart" Starr (born January 9, 1934) is a former professional American football player and coach. He wore #15 and he was the quarterback for the Green Bay Packers from 1956 to 1971, during which time he became the only quarterback in NFL history to lead a team to five championships (1961-62, 1965-66-67) as well as Super Bowls I and II (at the time, a game between the NFL and AFL champions prior to the league merger which brought AFL teams into the NFL in 1970). He was less successful as the Packers' head coach, compiling a record of 52–76–3 from 1975 to 1983.

He was named the Most Valuable Player of the first two Super Bowls and earned four Pro Bowl selections. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame and Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame in 1977. He won the league MVP award in 1966.[SUP][1][/SUP]

Starr has the highest playoff passer rating (104.80)[SUP][2][/SUP] of any quarterback in NFL history and a playoff record of 9–1. Starr's career completion percentage of 57.4 was an NFL best when he retired in 1972.[SUP][3][/SUP] Starr also held the Packers' franchise record for games played (196) for 32 years, through the 2003 season.[SUP][3][/SUP]

Starr played at the University of Alabama from 1952 to 1956 and was drafted by the Green Bay Packers in the 17th round of the 1956 draft (199th overall).:peace

[h=2][/h]

Re: Does Bart Starr Deserve Consideration Among the Greatest Quarterbacks in NFL Hist

Starr has the highest playoff passer rating (104.80) of any quarterback in NFL history and a playoff record of 9–1. Starr's career completion percentage of 57.4 ...

Bryan Bartlett "Bart" Starr (born January 9, 1934) is a former professional American football player and coach. He wore #15 and he was the quarterback for the Green Bay Packers from 1956 to 1971, during which time he became the only quarterback in NFL history to lead a team to five championships (1961-62, 1965-66-67) as well as Super Bowls I and II (at the time, a game between the NFL and AFL champions prior to the league merger which brought AFL teams into the NFL in 1970). He was less successful as the Packers' head coach, compiling a record of 52–76–3 from 1975 to 1983.

He was named the Most Valuable Player of the first two Super Bowls and earned four Pro Bowl selections. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame and Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame in 1977. He won the league MVP award in 1966.[SUP][1][/SUP]

Starr has the highest playoff passer rating (104.80)[SUP][2][/SUP] of any quarterback in NFL history and a playoff record of 9–1. Starr's career completion percentage of 57.4 was an NFL best when he retired in 1972.[SUP][3][/SUP] Starr also held the Packers' franchise record for games played (196) for 32 years, through the 2003 season.[SUP][3][/SUP]

Starr played at the University of Alabama from 1952 to 1956 and was drafted by the Green Bay Packers in the 17th round of the 1956 draft (199th overall).:peace

[h=2][/h]

I believe he does, because of the era he played in. He didn't play in an era of big time arms and huge passing attacks. he played in a ground and pound smash your mouth era that relied on a nasty ground game to carry your team and a lot of lower scores. Also amongst his peers he was the best there was to that point and did things nobody else had done in league history. Plus look at his post season stats, even today nobody matches that 9-1 record and 104 plus passer rating. And this 104 rating came in the days when QB was not the focus and receivers were not as good as they are today. Really quite amazing what he achieved as QB back then.

Re: Does Bart Starr Deserve Consideration Among the Greatest Quarterbacks in NFL Hist

[h=2][/h]

I think he deserves consideration along with others. Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana, Terry Bradshaw are others. Otto Graham, perhaps John Elway, Roger Staubach and slinging Sammy Baugh for those of us who can remember him are some more. But Bart definitely deserves consideration.

I would keep your list if you are devising one to those no longer playing, Manning and Brady deserves consideration too, but since they are still active I would leave them out.

I believe he does, because of the era he played in. He didn't play in an era of big time arms and huge passing attacks. he played in a ground and pound smash your mouth era that relied on a nasty ground game to carry your team and a lot of lower scores. Also amongst his peers he was the best there was to that point and did things nobody else had done in league history. Plus look at his post season stats, even today nobody matches that 9-1 record and 104 plus passer rating. And this 104 rating came in the days when QB was not the focus and receivers were not as good as they are today. Really quite amazing what he achieved as QB back then.

Obviously the sort of response for which I was hoping. I'm among the few here old enough to have seen him play. He was famous for faking the hand-off into the line on third and short, and throwing the bomb. Ice water in his veins.:peace

I think he deserves consideration along with others. Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana, Terry Bradshaw are others. Otto Graham, perhaps John Elway, Roger Staubach and slinging Sammy Baugh for those of us who can remember him are some more. But Bart definitely deserves consideration.

I would keep your list if you are devising one to those no longer playing, Manning and Brady deserves consideration too, but since they are still active I would leave them out.

Not bad for a 17th round draft choice.:peace

Not bad for a 17th round draft choice.:peace

Not bad at all. Brady was taken way down there too if I remember right.

Obviously the sort of response for which I was hoping. I'm among the few here old enough to have seen him play. He was famous for faking the hand-off into the line on third and short, and throwing the bomb. Ice water in his veins.:peace

I see him a lot like Bill Russell (Celts center). Its a team game and he led teams that WON A LOT. and that is what really counts in TEAM sports

As a Unitas fan Starr and Johnny ran neck and neck. Starr was always the professional in every way. The game was so radically different back then that is uneasy to try to compare the two games. Don't lose sight of the fact back then receivers were "targets", they could be hit simply standing in one spot waiting for the ball. The QBs were meat as a defensive player could virtually wrestle them long after the ball was released. What ever praise Mr. Starr get he deserves.

I see him a lot like Bill Russell (Celts center). Its a team game and he led teams that WON A LOT. and that is what really counts in TEAM sports

Yup. I consider BR to be the greatest NBA player.

Yup. I consider BR to be the greatest NBA player.

I don't know about that but he is in the top drawer even if some argue one on one he couldn't handle Wilt or Kareem or (Later) Shaq and Robert Parrish etc

he was a winner and those around him won with him. That is what counts.

its hard to say in team sports who was the greatest. and of course with the three point rule some guys would have had astronomical scoring stats (i.e. Rick Barry-one of the greatest bombers in history, Bob McAdoo and Pete Marevich (who only was allowed three years of college ball and didn't have three point plays)

the assist rule has been changed as well-The BIG O would have had thousands more using the new rules

Back
Top Bottom