• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does anyone still deny the causes of the Great Depression...

As for slaves, there is no way you are claiming that if you take away slavery that standard of living would have stagnated or decreased, are you?

If it costs you more for tobacco to supply your cigar factories or cotton to supply your mills, that means you have to charge more for your wares, doesn't it?

(A) lot of the problems with Britain at the beginning of the industrial revolution had to do with building codes which created overcrowding in growing cities.

Do you have a citation for that claim? Was overcrowding less of a problem before building codes set occupancy limits instead of alllowing landlords to charge whatever the market would bear when they stacked tenants like cordwood in rat-infested firetraps with inadequate water, privies, and ventilation?

The Industrial Revolution in Great Britain

How the other half lives: studies ... - Google Books

If it costs you more for tobacco to supply your cigar factories or cotton to supply your mills, that means you have to charge more for your wares, doesn't it?
I asked you a direct question. Would standard of living have decreased if slavery was done away with earlier?

Do you have a citation for that claim? Was overcrowding less of a problem before building codes set occupancy limits instead of alllowing landlords to charge whatever the market would bear when they stacked tenants like cordwood in rat-infested firetraps with inadequate water, privies, and ventilation?

The Industrial Revolution in Great Britain

How the other half lives: studies ... - Google Books

Actually I do have a source.

Capitalism and the historians - Google Books

The Standard of Life of the Workers in England, 1790-1830. T.S. Ashton

The price that one sells at is not a function of the cost of manufacturing, it is determined by the law of supply and demand. My customers dont care how much it cost me to run my business, they only care that they are getting a good value for the amount of money that they are spending on products that I provide. I've never had a customer to offer to pay me extra money just because my expenses have increased - it's usually the opposit, they tend to ask me for a lower price because THEIR expenses have increased.

Back
Top Bottom