• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does anyone need groceries?

Lutherf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I got back home a little before 9 last night and found several bags of groceries at my front door. No note. No receipt. No delivery indications. Nothing but food...that was sitting out on 100° heat. It couldn't have been there that long because the milk was still cool but who does that?

I called the store it came from and they don't deliver so I called Instacart and they can't trace anything and then I walked the neighborhood and nobody that answered the door claimed to have ordered it so now I have groceries!

I got back home a little before 9 last night and found several bags of groceries at my front door. No note. No receipt. No delivery indications. Nothing but food...that was sitting out on 100° heat. It couldn't have been there that long because the milk was still cool but who does that?

I called the store it came from and they don't deliver so I called Instacart and they can't trace anything and then I walked the neighborhood and nobody that answered the door claimed to have ordered it so now I have groceries!

Must be an example of the 'no contact safe delivery' some are advertising...

What else did you get? Maybe we can psychoanalyze what kind of person ordered it?

I guess you'll just have to chalk it up to a "random act of kindness," and I'm happy if the milk won't go to waste. Really hate the idea, though, that the delivery was misdirected and that someone in need is missing out. :(

The charitable organization in which I participate runs a food pantry, and community need has increased so much because of COVID that the only reason we haven't reached a breaking point is so many churches and organizations now running food drives and pop-up pantries.

That is odd. I would donate it. I would explain how I got it first. I personally wouldn't consume any of it. People are crazy now days.

You have a good friend out there somewhere. With any luck, you'll return home one night and find a cute redhead sitting on your front porch holding a bottle of Angel Envy Rye.

What else did you get? Maybe we can psychoanalyze what kind of person ordered it?

I actually kind of tried that! There was no "kid" stuff such as cereal or snacks. Just onions, potatoes, lettuce, ground beef, hamburger buns, tomato and lots of frozen fruit. It was all just too "normal" to psychoanalyze.

I guess you'll just have to chalk it up to a "random act of kindness," and I'm happy if the milk won't go to waste. Really hate the idea, though, that the delivery was misdirected and that someone in need is missing out. :(

The charitable organization in which I participate runs a food pantry, and community need has increased so much because of COVID that the only reason we haven't reached a breaking point is so many churches and organizations now running food drives and pop-up pantries.

That is odd. I would donate it. I would explain how I got it first. I personally wouldn't consume any of it. People are crazy now days.

I contacted the HOA and they sent out an email. Maybe I'll hear something later today.

I'm so curious about this!

It is definitely an odd occurrence. If my next door neeighbor were aroundd it would have been a no brainer. His wife (relatively recently deceased) had a lot of oddball friends and I can totally see one of them getting a drop off at the wrong door. Other than that, though, I don't see too many people taking deliveries in the area. The neighborhood is generally middle aged with a smattering of younger couples but not too many I could see getting a delivery like this. The only clue is that it's from one of the "health food" type stores but it's also a place everyone shops at for one thing or another.

The mystery is kind of solved.

Just got an email from the HOA and whoever ordered the stuff already has their order replaced. So no real answer as to what happened but at least I don't have to worry about someone starving.

It is definitely an odd occurrence. If my next door neeighbor were aroundd it would have been a no brainer. His wife (relatively recently deceased) had a lot of oddball friends and I can totally see one of them getting a drop off at the wrong door. Other than that, though, I don't see too many people taking deliveries in the area. The neighborhood is generally middle aged with a smattering of younger couples but not too many I could see getting a delivery like this. The only clue is that it's from one of the "health food" type stores but it's also a place everyone shops at for one thing or another.

You know what, maybe that's it. An acquaintance who isn't aware he isn't around at the moment and who is trying to be kind?

The mystery is kind of solved.

Just got an email from the HOA and whoever ordered the stuff already has their order replaced. So no real answer as to what happened but at least I don't have to worry about someone starving.

Well, free groceries is always a good thing. I'd make sloppy joes.

I actually kind of tried that! There was no "kid" stuff such as cereal or snacks. Just onions, potatoes, lettuce, ground beef, hamburger buns, tomato and lots of frozen fruit. It was all just too "normal" to psychoanalyze.

The items may be normal but the way it was delivered kind of says that it wasn't a professional delivery. I would think that a professional delivery person would not leave frozen fruit and milk outside. I think it was a mistaken delivery from a 'rookie'.

During the pandemic, based on the buying patterns of the average American, we've learned which grocery items are important to basic survival, and which aren't. We now know that the most important survival staple is lots and LOTS of toilet paper. I'm guessing that your mysterious, phantom grocery-giver was feeling guilty about hogging 450 - 900 rolls of T.P., which is obviously unfair to the people who've only managed to scrape together between 170 - 260 rolls. So, he/she/zim or zir decided to just give away some un-important, non-essential stuff, like actual food... That stuff may not be as crucial to your family's survival as toilet paper, but it's the thought that counts! (Lol)

Last edited:
The items may be normal but the way it was delivered kind of says that it wasn't a professional delivery. I would think that a professional delivery person would not leave frozen fruit and milk outside. I think it was a mistaken delivery from a 'rookie'.

A family member has been doing her grocery shopping online from Walmart since before COVID, and their delivery people have done this too.

Back
Top Bottom