• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Does anyone know...

Frank Apisa

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
...what happens if some delegates to the national conventions simply do not show up for the first vote.

Donald Trump is counting on reaching the magic number of 1237 before the first vote...and appears able to do that.

Ted Cruz is reported to have lined up all sorts of delegates bound to vote for Trump on the first ballot...to vote for him (Cruz) on subsequent ballots. And obviously, the Republican "establishment" characters are not in love with Trump as the head of their ticket.

Almost everyone is bound (NOT EVERYONE) on the first ballot.

Suppose, however, that a group of the delegates bound to Trump on the first vote...decide to be absent...just don't show up.

Has anyone read anything about that possible scenario?

I cant answer your question but Its getting harder and harder for the GOP to even consider stripping trump of the nomination by a delegate coup at the convention
The republican party would be shredded and I believe many trump supporters wouldnt vote. But it seems to be from the Koch brothers statements they would prefer hillary to trump. That makes it even more interesting and convoluted

I can't speak to the Republican Party's specific rules in this regard, but any political party vote I've ever been involved in, the number of cast ballots determines the final number of votes required to meet a 50% plus one majority to win. I presume that the Republican Party has 2473 eligible ballots for the first vote, thus making the 1237 number the 50% plus one total needed to win on the first ballot. However, if someone doesn't show up to vote or their ballot is spoiled, the 50% plus one number will be adjusted downward accordingly.

Now, the above is not likely accurate because in the primaries, the States' various Republican Party rules determine how each State distributes its allotted votes after their primary/caucus takes place. On the first ballot, I presume it's not a matter of individual delegates voting, but each State voting individually, in bulk, their State's votes - i.e. NY votes x number for Trump, y number for Cruz, z number for Kasich. It's in the second round when the scenario I mentioned in my first paragraph will take place because as per party rules the delegates are only committed for the first ballot.

That would be my take on it, based on past experience, but that's not necessarily what occurs in the US.

Back
Top Bottom