• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does anyone know what "Mondegreens" are ???

Empirica

~Transcend~
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
"Have you ever sung a song over and over only to find out later that you were singing the wrong lyrics?
(If you said 'NO', you are probably lying.)
You are not alone. Top Mondegreens catalogs all the misheard lyrics from your or someone else's favorite songs."

"Songs and Lyrics like

Excuse me While I Kiss this Guy by Jimi Hendrix
She's electric boobs, her mom has two
It's a Hard Egg by Bonnie Tyler
I ain't no Harlem Black Girl by Gwen Stefani
Come on Body Lets Go Potty by Aqua

As of July 2008, Mondegreen is officially a word according to Merriam-Webster."

IMEO, most people are aware they have the lyrics wrong to that song they're singing in the shower or car_

But who cares when you're performing for your most loyal audience and biggest fan___Yourself!

"Have you ever sung a song over and over only to find out later that you were singing the wrong lyrics?
(If you said 'NO', you are probably lying.)
You are not alone. Top Mondegreens catalogs all the misheard lyrics from your or someone else's favorite songs."

"Songs and Lyrics like

Excuse me While I Kiss this Guy by Jimi Hendrix
She's electric boobs, her mom has two
It's a Hard Egg by Bonnie Tyler
I ain't no Harlem Black Girl by Gwen Stefani
Come on Body Lets Go Potty by Aqua

As of July 2008, Mondegreen is officially a word according to Merriam-Webster."

IMEO, most people are aware they have the lyrics wrong to that song they're singing in the shower or car_

But who cares when you're performing for your most loyal audience and biggest fan___Yourself!

Back in the 1980s, for a while, there was a song that I was hearing everywhere. A particular sentence that was repeated in this song, was clear enough that I could clearly understand what the words were supposed to be, and yet my mind insisted—even though I knew better—on parsing them as “Bring me an iron lung.”. (The correct words were, “Bring me a higher love.”)

Old Journey song, Send Her My Love - my best friend thought it was Lucinda, My Love. :lol:

Thanks, Empirica. Had no idea that this phenomena had an actual name.

Now I have someone to blame for never having been able to figure out the words to "Blinded By The Light."

I just got busted for this the other day but as you said, who cares? :)
Hi Amwo!__were you busted in your car or the shower?!

I'm trying to determine the level of embarrassment you suffered_ :nails

Back in the 1980s, for a while, there was a song that I was hearing everywhere. A particular sentence that was repeated in this song, was clear enough that I could clearly understand what the words were supposed to be, and yet my mind insisted—even though I knew better—on parsing them as “Bring me an iron lung.”. (The correct words were, “Bring me a higher love.”)
Maybe somebody was trying to tell you something Bobby?! :bolt

Old Journey song, Send Her My Love - my best friend thought it was Lucinda, My Love. :lol:

Thanks, Empirica. Had no idea that this phenomena had an actual name.

Now I have someone to blame for never having been able to figure out the words to "Blinded By The Light."
I know exactly what you're talkin bout here Superfly!

That dad-gum Mondegreen is always muckin up my favorite tunes too!

What we need is some regulation___a Mondegreen Czar! :stop:

Uhmadummy; I can't get the dang thang ta play!

Think maybe you can hum a few bars for me PoRob?! :popcorn2:

I was on my tablet. I can't do quite as much as when I'm on my laptop... here:

I had not heard the term before. I thought maybe "monde" (french for "world") + greens must be some environmental organization. Not so, it appears.

I can remember hearing the silly song "I'm too sexy for my shirt" and hearing "I paid two sixty for my shirt."

Here are some more. I kind of liked this one:
you hardly talk to me anymore, when I come through the door at the end of the day

heard as:

you hardly talk to me anymore, when I Kung Fu the door at the end of the day

This is the one that makes me laugh. "Wrapped up like a douche, in the middle of the night"

I still think and have always thought that that is what it says in that song. I have no idea what he's supposed to be saying but that is exactly what it sounds like and therefore it is, in fact, what he is saying.

I always thought he said "Revved up like a douche, for a runner in the night."

Creedence Clearwater Revival...

"Don't go round tonight...
...cuz its bound to take your life...
.... there's a bathroom, on the right..."

hehe - some things I've read about this go on as if it's the listener's fault that the lyric's aren't audible.

It's not.

Back
Top Bottom