• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

does anyone here eat roadkill?

wolfie

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Just watching a prog on PBS America about people eating dead stuff they have found on the side of the road..

Please tell me this isn't true..

No. But then again, I never roadkilled anything... my mom hit a dog once with the car and killed it.

As long as it is fresh, why not. No sense in letting good meat go bad and feed scavengers.

I have never ate roadkill, but see little difference between a car bumper and a bullet - other than that car bumper might have the added benefit of tenderizing some of the meat :2razz: As far as coming across a random corpse on the road and deciding it is dinner, no I would not do that, but if I hit the animal or saw someone else hit it I would consider doing so - especially if it is venison.

Yeah, I would only consider it if it was something that I, myself, ran into, and that would most likely be white-tailed deer, based on what I see locally that gets hit by drivers. The problem is it's illegal to do that here. :lol:

This reminds me of that one Scene's from a Hat from Whose Line:

"Bad songs to sing at a wedding."

"What's the matter with roadkill?"

As long as it is fresh, why not. No sense in letting good meat go bad and feed scavengers.

I have never ate roadkill, but see little difference between a car bumper and a bullet - other than that car bumper might have the added benefit of tenderizing some of the meat :2razz: As far as coming across a random corpse on the road and deciding it is dinner, no I would not do that, but if I hit the animal or saw someone else hit it I would consider doing so - especially if it is venison.

If you do that in this state (assuming, of course, that you get caught), you'll face legal consequences by our parks and wildlife department, who happens to have a very broad range of powers in the legal system here.

I don't know about now but Georgia, Florida and North Carolina used to supply prisons with road kill deer.

If you do that in this state (assuming, of course, that you get caught), you'll face legal consequences by our parks and wildlife department, who happens to have a very broad range of powers in the legal system here.

I have no clue as to the legality of it here, but it is inconsequential since I do not recall having seen a deer in this state in almost 20 years of living here. I know they exist in some parts, and there are a few signs for deer crossings.. right smack dab in the midst of the urban sprawl, I think they are relics from when there actually was enough undeveloped land to harbor deer.

Last edited:
Just watching a prog on PBS America about people eating dead stuff they have found on the side of the road..

The dog probably would.

The only thing I can find for Florida law with a not-all-that-thorough googling is that it is illegal to take bear parts from roadkill. No mention for anything else as far as I saw.

edit: I did find this: "...Montana will join five other states (Florida, Colorado, Georgia, Illinois and West Virginia) which permit the salvaging of roadkill under relevant health and safety regulations"

The dog probably would.

I wouldn't give it my dog...But then again I would be interested in hearing from people who actually do...and why??????

I wouldn't give it my dog...But then again I would be interested in hearing from people who actually do...and why??????

Naw, we wouldn't feed Dog or Cat roadkill. I am afraid they might eat it though, when they are out on their own.

I dunno. I'm still trying to get the blasted deer out of my flower beds and into the street. They can't really become road kill otherwise.

If you want to start a discussion about garden kill, though, I would be happy to offer my opinion.

Naw, we wouldn't feed Dog or Cat roadkill. I am afraid they might eat it though, when they are out on their own.
Ok...we must accept that some people do..and relish it....

I would rather starve..

I dunno. I'm still trying to get the blasted deer out of my flower beds and into the street. They can't really become road kill otherwise.

If you want to start a discussion about garden kill, though, I would be happy to offer my opinion.

I would be delighted if a deer came into my garden..

My garden kill would be cats...anyone have a good recipe??

I have eaten road kill deer that I saw hit and was still alive when I field dressed it. It got hit in the head by a car and it wasn't going to get back up. I ended it's suffering and ran over to the nearest station to grab bags of ice. I figured they would take the deer to the shelter to donate, but the officer who showed up said they no longer did that. As long as the person who hit it didn't want it I was free to take it and send in a salvage tag online. Really a shame because it was a nice size buck. Couldn't tell how many tines he had due to the head injury knocking them off.

That said unless I witnessed the accident myself, I would never eat roadkill deer and even then it would depend on wear it was hit. If it got hit in the midsection I would likely not take it due to stomach injury ruining the meat. It could be cleaned but I doubt I would chance it.

Nothin' says "Yummy" quite like dead skunk stew!

I honest-to-God have this book sitting on my bookshelf. You just never know when a recipe for fieldmouse stew may come in handy. ;)

Naughty boy..winding me up!!...I cannot believe that some people are so poor in America...policemen of the world..zillions of dollars spent on defense...hit some sort of ratty thing..scoop it up..and then feed their kids with it..

I honest-to-God have this book sitting on my bookshelf. You just never know when a recipe for fieldmouse stew may come in handy. ;)

You are joking!!

Ummm, no, I'm not joking. Essentially any animal is edible if you understand the anatomy and physiology of it.

Do you like eating it...???

Do you like eating it...???

I haven't tried it. It's just a practical manual and guide addressing the edibility of the things we find in nature. If push came to shove, I could take care of my own needs. To me, that is an essential skill for a human being.

Ummm, no, I'm not joking. Essentially any animal is edible if you understand the anatomy and physiology of it.

While that's true a lot of stuff isn't worth the effort unless you're in VERY dire straits. For example, it may well take more energy to find, kill and cook a squirrel than you would get from eating it. Then again, if one just happens to be laying there kind of flattened at the end of your driveway....

Naughty boy..winding me up!!...I cannot believe that some people are so poor in America...policemen of the world..zillions of dollars spent on defense...hit some sort of ratty thing..scoop it up..and then feed their kids with it..

Believe it or not, there are people out there who WANT to eat that stuff.

Back
Top Bottom