• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does anyone doubt that American political and cultural world preeminence is because of diversity and cultural hybridization?

craig

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I think it is obvious.

I don't know that it is because of that, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

I don't think it's because of that, but I think the US is pretty unique in its amount of it, and it largely does make the US stronger. The US has more problems, but that seems because the US has a lot more of it. It's a lot better than China's approach which is basically the Borg, destroying any culture they get their hands on it, forcibly making it become like the Han Chinese. Whether Tibet, Muslims, or others.

Even when our country was founded we were much more culturally diverse than any existing European country at the time

Capitalism, abundant natural and human resources, and driven business leaders built America.
Not to discount diversity. The country works better when everyone has a chance to succeed.

I think it is obvious.
Honestly, I think it is in spite of that. But Capitalism is the overriding factor.
Diversity, in certain areas certainly has helped, especially the diversity that comes from abroad. It seems immigrants of old, and of new, have/had the drive to better themselves and find the opportunity to do so here.
Our diverse population that has adapted to the US social safety net, not so much.

Even when our country was founded we were much more culturally diverse than any existing European country at the time
I wouldn't hold up Native Americans and African descendants to brag about our support for diversity.

Capitalism, abundant natural and human resources, and driven business leaders built America.
Not to discount diversity. The country works better when everyone has a chance to succeed.
My argument is that those aspects of America could have only grown and thrived here because we were not bound by the stolid, monolithic cultures of the rest of the world at the time.

"Look, we found land occupied by peoples that don't believe in owning land and their weaponry is not as advanced as ours is. We'll convert them to Christianity via Old Testament domination."

"Look, we found land occupied by peoples that don't believe in owning land and their weaponry is not as advanced as ours is. We'll convert them to Christianity via Old Testament domination."
Yes. At the time that was common to all the cultures that made us up. But over the last 300 years our hybrid culture has assimilated new cultures that now make use the most inclusive, tolerant and dominant in the world.

Yes. At the time that was common to all the cultures that made us up. But over the last 300 years our hybrid culture has assimilated new cultures that now make use the most inclusive, tolerant and dominant in the world.
Good point. It was your 'even when our country was founded' that's a problem.

That hybridization has been so successful because of the proportionate diversity of America. That is being threatened by the lessening of the white pop proportion by the minorities (Ex post facto SNARK warning).

I'd say it helps in many ways, though it can also be a problem in some specific circumstances.

Chiefly, I think personal and economic freedom played the biggest role, along with the usual factors of massive resources, the protection of two oceans from invasion, etc.

I think it is obvious.
Cultural preeminence? Considering that the US is a scant couple of centuries old, I would suggest that most American culture was imported from Europe and elsewhere. Is there a single, homogenous American culture, or is it an amalgam of a myriad of diverse cultures?

Cultural preeminence? Considering that the US is a scant couple of centuries old, I would suggest that most American culture was imported from Europe and elsewhere. Is there a single, homogenous American culture, or is it an amalgam of a myriad of diverse cultures?
That is the OP. It is a multi-cultural hybrid becoming homogenous.

As I understand it, America was founded on the principles of racism and exploiting the labor of the working class. From what I've been told, we are not a great nation, never have been a great nation and are on a path to become one o the most loathed nations on earth unless we adopt the policies of Biden and the Democrats. Democracy, the "right kind" of democracy, is our only path to salvation.

Does anyone doubt that American political and cultural world preeminence is because of diversity and cultural hybridization?​

Yes. They're known as Republicans.

Does anyone doubt that American political and cultural world preeminence is because of diversity and cultural hybridization?​

American culture itself is synonymous with 'the melting pot.' Without hybridization (which, as mentioned, has been here long before 1776), we would be a bunch of ex-pat Brits. We of course aren't, so I believe the question, while perfectly crafted, meaningful, and cannily powerful, is simply a self-defining truism. ;) (y)

It’s a double edged sword. It can be a tremendous source of strength in a tolerant society which celebrates its diversity. But it can be a huge liability in a racist society, and can cause that society to eat itself alive from within.

So the question now is: which one do we want to be?

Seems more like a country with lush natural resources, which boomed after WWII after Europe was destroyed, and then they turned that wealth into a world military to make sure they are the top of the food chain and continued to secure, partly through military action, needed resources

If you ask many phony patriots, they think its a bad thing and have spent the history of this country trying to keep down the diversity.

But the rest of us realize that has been what has made us great, and we had a lot of advancement thanks to having geniuses come to our country. And a decline thanks to republicans racist assholes anti immigration, as well as anti education nonsense

Yes this!!!!

Not that diversity is not a good thing too.... but resources , capitalism, personal freedoms, our constitution and American drive to succeed is what made this country great!

I think it is obvious.
Diversity is irrelevant except when it divides and can cause nations to crumble.

We look like we could easily collapse as a nation now because of multificultalism. 40% of the country are bitter enemies some even wanting the other side gone.

I think it more a case of americans actually being dumb enough to buy into their own propaganda that they are the world leaders in culture.

Back
Top Bottom