• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Does anyone believe that they cannot safely go vote in person?

longview

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I was thinking of all those claims about people who want to vote by mail for safety.
Almost all of us, put on out protective gear, and go shopping, to doctors visits, ect.
Why can we not go vote?
Double masks, gloves and a face shield, and change your clothes when you get home.
I am 60+ and fully intend to go vote in early voting, social distance, and generally be careful.
My risks for doing so will be minimal, and likely about equal to going to the grocery store.

My State isn't ass backwards, we have a very good Mail-In system. So I don't have to worry about going to a polling location, I can easily vote by mail.

My State isn't ass backwards, we have a very good Mail-In system. So I don't have to worry about going to a polling location, I can easily vote by mail.
But do you, and will you vote by mail?
Are you actually concerned for your safety if you choose to vote in person?

But do you, and will you vote by mail?
Are you actually concerned for your safety if you choose to vote in person?

I always vote by mail, why wouldn't I?

I was thinking of all those claims about people who want to vote by mail for safety.
Almost all of us, put on out protective gear, and go shopping, to doctors visits, ect.
Why can we not go vote?
Double masks, gloves and a face shield, and change your clothes when you get home.
I am 60+ and fully intend to go vote in early voting, social distance, and generally be careful.
My risks for doing so will be minimal, and likely about equal to going to the grocery store.

Why should one need to take a risk if avoidable?

I have cancer, kidney failure and seizures, over 65. Why should I take a small chance when it would cost me my life?

I always vote by mail, why wouldn't I?
The question is about if people feel safe voting in person?
I think I can do so, and normally vote in person.

Why should one need to take a risk if avoidable?

I have cancer, kidney failure and seizures, over 65. Why should I take a small chance when it would cost me my life?
And for you a good choice would be to vote by mail, but for many of us, I for one do not see it increasing my risk,
assuming I take the same precautions I take whenever I go out.

Why can we not go vote?

Republicans close polling sites in Democratic areas, causing major crowding. Being in a large group for an extended period of time increases risk of exposure. Those at risk will be most vulnerable when going to these crowded areas to vote. Many older / immunocompromised people have been self-isolating this entire time.

Going out in public, for whatever reason, involves risks. People have to decide how to mitigate those risks for themselves, taking into account their own vulnerabilities. To claim there are no risks associated with in-person voting or minimal risks is very narrow-minded.

Yes but do you request the ballot os is your state just mass sending them to everyone including pets?

Republicans close polling sites in Democratic areas, causing major crowding. Being in a large group for an extended period of time increases risk of exposure. Those at risk will be most vulnerable when going to these crowded areas to vote. Many older / immunocompromised people have been self-isolating this entire time.
I am sure there are some people who would see voting in person as a risk, but for most of us, who do go and shop and visit the doctors office,
we know how to mitigate those risks to near zero.
In many areas early voting is not geographically specific, so you can choose where to early vote (At least in Texas).

Why can we not go vote?

But there's no need to do that - just vote by mail, and the risk is ZERO.

I might have to vote in person, and if required will do so - there's a 100% chance I'll vote. But I'd rather do it from home.

And it depends on whether the risk is about like the grocery store. If I see some idiot in a store without a mask or it hanging around his neck or below his nose, I can avoid him (it's usually a him in my area). I just go down a different aisle, or let him go ahead. If there's a long line because the voting machines have to be disinfected after each vote, then I can't leave the line, or choose who is behind me for the half hour it takes to vote in my area for big elections, versus the few seconds I'm briefly passing the average shopper inside the 6 foot distance in the grocery.

It's also the case that there's a huge variability in the lines, and since the poll workers are often old, there are lots of accounts of places having a hard time finding enough workers. Sometimes the lines are HOURS long, and that increases risk dramatically, and they will be worse if there is a worker shortage. So mail in voting does two things - reduces the risk to zero for those voting from home, and it shortens lines in your area which will make it safer for you to vote in person, as you want to do.

And vote by mail is good enough for Trump and his family, and lots of his cabinet and others in the WH, for seniors, the military and more, and is good enough for you and me. You vote as you want - we'll do the same. That is a GOOD thing. We don't need to justify it to you or anyone else.

Literally no state does this. You lie because you have an agenda.

Anyone who registers his pet to vote has committed a crime anyway.

Alpha lied and said that Massachusetts has sent thousands of ballots to pets. Then ran away when confronted. He's a prolific liar.

Anyone who registers his pet to vote has committed a crime anyway.

Alpha lied and said that Massachusetts has sent thousands of ballots to pets. Then ran away when confronted. He's a prolific liar.

Heya Tres! :2wave:

How are you feeling girlfriend??

Good! Ate breakfast not too long ago (eggs and bacon). I've been dealing with organizing my room in my new apartment, so I've been busy. I've got most of it situated now, and I'm finally done with sorting through all of my boxes. I just need to buy more things, and I'll be good.

Unfortunately, I have to get my laptop and my tablet fixed because I dropped my backpack, and I had a glass coke bottle in it, and it burst. Not my finest moment, so I'm gonna get that dealt with today.

Yes but do you request the ballot os is your state just mass sending them to everyone including pets?

I haven't seen a pet get a driver's license, so I don't think they would be able to get a ballot.

Colorado sends out ballots to all registered voters.

But there's no need to do that - just vote by mail, and the risk is ZERO.

I might have to vote in person, and if required will do so - there's a 100% chance I'll vote. But I'd rather do it from home.

And it depends on whether the risk is about like the grocery store. If I see some idiot in a store without a mask or it hanging around his neck or below his nose, I can avoid him (it's usually a him in my area). I just go down a different aisle, or let him go ahead. If there's a long line because the voting machines have to be disinfected after each vote, then I can't leave the line, or choose who is behind me for the half hour it takes to vote in my area for big elections, versus the few seconds I'm briefly passing the average shopper inside the 6 foot distance in the grocery.

It's also the case that there's a huge variability in the lines, and since the poll workers are often old, there are lots of accounts of places having a hard time finding enough workers. Sometimes the lines are HOURS long, and that increases risk dramatically, and they will be worse if there is a worker shortage. So mail in voting does two things - reduces the risk to zero for those voting from home, and it shortens lines in your area which will make it safer for you to vote in person, as you want to do.

And vote by mail is good enough for Trump and his family, and lots of his cabinet and others in the WH, for seniors, the military and more, and is good enough for you and me. You vote as you want - we'll do the same. That is a GOOD thing. We don't need to justify it to you or anyone else.
It is all about proper protective gear, I will vote in person, but will be wearing disposable gloves

I am voting by mail because I want to vote by mail, it's legal in this state, and I have been doing so since 2006.

I don't need any excuses.

The question is about if people feel safe voting in person?
I think I can do so, and normally vote in person.

I suppose that it would depend on how many polling places are available in an area, how long they're open for, how long one would have to wait in line with a crowd, etc.

All that is circumvented by mail-in voting.

I am voting by mail because I want to vote by mail, it's legal in this state, and I have been doing so since 2006.

I don't need any excuses.
I am sure I could vote by mail, but like the idea of my vote being cast in an actual ballot machine!

I am sure I could vote by mail, but like the idea of my vote being cast in an actual ballot machine!

That's fantastic. You do you.

I vote by mail, and my ballot is run through an actual ballot machine.

Back
Top Bottom