• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does anybody else find it crazy that some kid from Scandinavia is more well known than scientists?

I cannot accept that a public figure deserves to be MOCKED for a disability which has nothing to do with their public position.

[FONT=&quot]"Anyone who doubts that the green movement is morphing into a millenarian cult should take a close look at Greta Thunberg. This poor young woman increasingly looks and sounds like a cult member. The monotone voice. The look of apocalyptic dread in her eyes. The explicit talk of the coming great ‘fire’ that will punish us for our eco-sins. There is something chilling and positively pre-modern about Ms Thunberg. One can imagine her in a sparse wooden church in the Plymouth Colony in the 1600s warning parishioners of the hellfire that will rain upon them if they fail to give up their witches. . . . "

It's a fair point.[/FONT]

I cannot accept that a public figure deserves to be MOCKED for a disability which has nothing to do with their public position.

Live by the sword, die by it. She mocks other people with her how DARE you's.

Another two years lost to climate inaction, says Greta Thunberg | Environment | The Guardian

Randomly found another article about this girl. She's meeting world leaders and doing this and that; EVERYBODY has heard of her at this point. What the ****? What has she really done? Why is she in the spotlight? What about the incredible professionals leading the way in this struggle?

I have no problem with this because it shows the absolute truth - that man-made climate change over 150 years of the industrial revolution compared to the prior 4.3 billion years when who knows what the hell the temperatures were is a crock of s***.

This kid and the rest of us normal folks know just as much about climate change as these so-called scientists do - not very much at all.

We have ~150 years of recorded temperatures. Now if we had 4.2 billion years of recorded and you were able to show me an uphill graph telling us that the temperature has been rising for 4.2b years, I just then may believe that the climate is warming.

AOC et.al., crying out that the world will end in 2030 if we don't quickly change our ways and cut emissions is nuts.

What if the US and its ~330 million people were to spend $90+ Trillion on her asinine proposal. What about the "super-pollutant" countries like India and its ~1.4 billion inhabitants and China with its 1.4 billion people who pollute as much as humanly possible?

Are you going to impose sanctions on them if they don't join the green new deal?

The US has definitely cleaned up its act since Clean Air and water laws were passed in the 1970s.

I think that the US has done enough for now. Let the other countries catch up, then we can revisit this BS in 10 or 20 years.

Another two years lost to climate inaction, says Greta Thunberg | Environment | The Guardian

Randomly found another article about this girl. She's meeting world leaders and doing this and that; EVERYBODY has heard of her at this point. What the ****? What has she really done? Why is she in the spotlight? What about the incredible professionals leading the way in this struggle?

Greta Thunberg and many other people find it crazy that a kid from Scandinavia is more well known than climate scientists. That the world's leaders should have listen to world's leading scientists and taken action on climate change decades ago and that should have been no need for a youth movement for action on climate change.

While we are now running out of time because powerful economical and political interests have been able to delay action on climate change for many decades.

Climate change impacts | National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

Latest climate study predicts disaster for oceans, coastlines and life as we know it | TheHill

Thirty-one top scientific societies speak with one voice on global climate change – The Ecological Society of America

So it very inspiring and important that there are now a global youth movement with millions of participants all across the world. There Greta Thunberg and many others are able to voice their demand for that the world's leading scientists should be listen to.

Fridays For Future is an international climate movement active in most countries and our website offers information on who we are and what you can do.

There people of all ages are joining the movement.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...e-world-mobilise-behind-youth-climate-strikes

Last edited:
Live by the sword, die by it. She mocks other people with her how DARE you's.

No, she's not "mocking" anyone, and certainly not mocking anyone's disability!

She's pointing out that our generation has been fully aware for a long time that we need to act to fix a problem we've been in no small way responsible for and we have FAILED to do so. We'll be dead long before the worst of it happens but that won't alter our complicity in it.

HER GENERATION is going to have to fix the problems we made and the problems we FAILED TO ADDRESS.

If you are offended by Greta then...TOUGH. She isn't mocking you. She's saying what future generations are going to say about us after we're dead. Only she's saying it to us while we are still alive and that is uncomfortable.

I'd suggest those who are offended by Great "grow up", but if they feel it is acceptable to mock the disabled I fear that that train has already left the station. Greta is, then, more of an adult than the older generation she is leveling her jeremiads at.

[FONT="]"Anyone who doubts that the green movement is morphing into a millenarian cult should take a close look at Greta Thunberg. This poor young woman increasingly looks and sounds like a cult member. The monotone voice. The look of apocalyptic dread in her eyes. The explicit talk of the coming great ‘fire’ that will punish us for our eco-sins. There is something chilling and positively pre-modern about Ms Thunberg. One can imagine her in a sparse wooden church in the Plymouth Colony in the 1600s warning parishioners of the hellfire that will rain upon them if they fail to give up their witches. . . . "

It's a fair point.[/FONT]

the fact that they linked the "monotone voice" (which as I showed earlier is not an uncommon affect for those on the Spectrum) as indication of "cult-like status" is the same as if they decided to make fun of FDR's strange "walking style" when disagreeing with his policies for economic stimulus.

Disagree with her policies all you want. Just don't be a jerk about disabilities.

the fact that they linked the "monotone voice" (which as I showed earlier is not an uncommon affect for those on the Spectrum) as indication of "cult-like status" is the same as if they decided to make fun of FDR's strange "walking style" when disagreeing with his policies for economic stimulus.

Disagree with her policies all you want. Just don't be a jerk about disabilities.

I don't think her monotone has anything to do with physical disability. Moreover, she's quite capable of animated voice modulation when chastising others. Nope, no free pass.

I don't think her monotone has anything to do with physical disability.

And it might not. But given that monotone is a not uncommon affect for those on the Spectrum it is not for you to decide that it is OK to mock her for it.

I'm going to come out fully against your position here: IT IS NEVER OK TO MOCK SOMEONE'S DISABILITY.

She's being used because of her condition, not despite it.
If she had been singularly focused on the dangers of climate alarmism you never would have heard of her.
She's been made a hero because of the side she's on.

And it might not. But given that monotone is a not uncommon affect for those on the Spectrum it is not for you to decide that it is OK to mock her for it.

I'm going to come out fully against your position here: IT IS NEVER OK TO MOCK SOMEONE'S DISABILITY.

Observing is not mocking. She does not have immunity.

Observing is not mocking. She does not have immunity.

And, again, I will NOT support the folks at WattsUp who mock the disabled for their disability. It is not in my nature to get behind that. No matter how one tries to cover it up equating a possible feature of ASD with "cult like behavior" is mocking. It is denigrating.

Sorry, Jack. I can't get onboard with mocking the disabled.

And, again, I will NOT support the folks at WattsUp who mock the disabled for their disability. It is not in my nature to get behind that. No matter how one tries to cover it up equating a possible feature of ASD with "cult like behavior" is mocking. It is denigrating.

Sorry, Jack. I can't get onboard with mocking the disabled.

Reminds me of the Iraqis using civilians as human shields. Didn't work for them; won't work for you.

Reminds me of the Iraqis using civilians as human shields. Didn't work for them; won't work for you.

Please Jack, I CANNOT support mocking the disabled. I won't be changing my mind anytime soon, either.

I don't care.

But you defended it. You must be OK with it.

But that's the kind of stuff you like to read. That's where you get your information on the climate: from people who mock the disabilities of people.

I wish you didn't have to hang around there to get your stuff but it seems like it's OK with you, so it's all good.

Just don't defend it around me. Please.

But you defended it. You must be OK with it.

But that's the kind of stuff you like to read. That's where you get your information on the climate: from people who mock the disabilities of people.

I wish you didn't have to hang around there to get your stuff but it seems like it's OK with you, so it's all good.

Just don't defend it around me. Please.

I'm absolutely OK with it. Your characterization is false, and I don't respect falsehoods.

I'm absolutely OK with it. Your characterization is false, and I don't respect falsehoods.

You know what I don't respect? Mocking disabilities. You defend it. I don't respect. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this point!

You know what I don't respect? Mocking disabilities. You defend it. I don't respect. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this point!

Actually, we're talking past each other. I don't think there's a disability involved.

I don't think there's a disability involved.

It has been shown now how the very thing your favorite denialists published as a hit against Greta is a not uncommon aspect of ASD and you simply choose to "disbelieve" it is related.

Now let's for a moment assume you are all innocents who know NOTHING about ASD and your favorite denialists simply "accidentally" mistook a known possible effect of ASD as something that was OK to mock.

Once one KNOWS that "monotone speech" is a not uncommon aspect to ASD (even if you haven't had personal experience of it), it then means you don't get to continue to defending it unless you want to accept that it IS mockery of a disability.

People with integrity understand this.

[h=2]Greta’s Own Sweden Has Been Cooling In July Since 1997! Same Results In Finland And Ireland[/h]By P Gosselin on 22. August 2020
Share this...

By Kirye
and Pierre Gosselin
The media like saying summers have been getting hotter, especially Europe. So Today we look at the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) July data that go back at least 20 years in Ireland, Sweden and Finland. . . .

Why does a LOCALIZED event matter so much to you?

Here's a real challenge for you: let's assume that global warming is able to melt enough of the Greenland Ice sheet to dump enough fresh water into the upper reaches of the thermohaline circulation and, as some suggest might be possible: shutting down the thermohaline circulation.. This could lead to significant COOLING IN WESTERN EUROPE (did you take any geography classes? Do you know that western Europe is warmer than it would normally expected to be due to it's higher latitude, but the thermohaline circulation in the North Altantic pumps a LOT of heat up to high latitudes).

So in reality it would be possible to cool western Europe while simultaneously increasing the average global temperature!

BTW: I doubt this current cooling you are talking about here, if it is real, has anything to do with the THC but just showing how localized effects don't change the overall effect. This is just one example.

Science is really neat but it can be complex.

Why does a LOCALIZED event matter so much to you?

Here's a real challenge for you: let's assume that global warming is able to melt enough of the Greenland Ice sheet to dump enough fresh water into the upper reaches of the thermohaline circulation and, as some suggest might be possible: shutting down the thermohaline circulation.. This could lead to significant COOLING IN WESTERN EUROPE (did you take any geography classes? Do you know that western Europe is warmer than it would normally expected to be due to it's higher latitude, but the thermohaline circulation in the North Altantic pumps a LOT of heat up to high latitudes).

So in reality it would be possible to cool western Europe while simultaneously increasing the average global temperature!

BTW: I doubt this current cooling you are talking about here, if it is real, has anything to do with the THC but just showing how localized effects don't change the overall effect. This is just one example.

Science is really neat but it can be complex.

I just enjoyed the irony of cooling in Greta-land.

It has been shown now how the very thing your favorite denialists published as a hit against Greta is a not uncommon aspect of ASD and you simply choose to "disbelieve" it is related.

Now let's for a moment assume you are all innocents who know NOTHING about ASD and your favorite denialists simply "accidentally" mistook a known possible effect of ASD as something that was OK to mock.

Once one KNOWS that "monotone speech" is a not uncommon aspect to ASD (even if you haven't had personal experience of it), it then means you don't get to continue to defending it unless you want to accept that it IS mockery of a disability.

People with integrity understand this.

There was no mocking. The claim of such is merely a propaganda gambit.

I just enjoyed the irony of cooling in Greta-land.

That it's intellectual dishonest to only look at one month and only a few weather stations. That if you look at this year July have been a bit cooler than average while June was a lot warmer than average and August is also on track being warmer than average in Sweden.

Juni 2020 - Rekordvarmt framst i mellersta Sverige | SMHI

Juli 2020 - Kyligt i vaster och mycket regn i nordost | SMHI.

Klimatdata - kartor | SMHI

There also July 2019 was warmer than average and July 2018 a lot warmer than average in Sweden.

Juli 2019 - Rekordvarmt norr om polcirkeln | SMHI

Juli 2018 - Langvarig hetta och svara skogsbrander | SMHI

While globally the last years have been the warmest on record.

Top 10 Warmest Years on Record | Climate Central

Last edited:
That it's intellectual dishonest to only look at one month and only a few weather stations. That if you look at this year July have been a bit cooler than average while June was a lot warmer than average and August is also on track being warmer than average in Sweden.

Juni 2020 - Rekordvarmt framst i mellersta Sverige | SMHI

Juli 2020 - Kyligt i vaster och mycket regn i nordost | SMHI.

Klimatdata - kartor | SMHI

There also July 2019 was warmer than average and July 2018 a lot warmer than average in Sweden.

Juli 2019 - Rekordvarmt norr om polcirkeln | SMHI

Juli 2018 - Langvarig hetta och svara skogsbrander | SMHI

While globally the last years have been the warmest on record.

Top 10 Warmest Years on Record | Climate Central

Greta’s Own Sweden Has Been Cooling In July Since 1997! Same Results In Finland And Ireland

By P Gosselin on 22. August 2020

Source: JMA here.
In Greta’s Sweden, the month of July has been seeing cooling since 1997. Strange warming climate crisis this is.

Back
Top Bottom