• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does America Need Tariffs on US Corporations?

Should there be Tariffs?

• Total voters
We get more value out of the WTO than we lose to outsourcing. Free trade is an overall net positive, even if it sometimes hurts individual sectors. A lot of out sourcing isn't actually even cost effective, but is simply the result of our idiotic fantasy land MBA driven cost cutting business culture.

It's only positive to the corporate scum who sent jobs overseas. To those who lose thier jobs to outsourced labor ... there is no positive gain. I say we outsource all of the corporate officer positions and see how much the other half likes getting bent over.

Last edited:
I'm on the fence about this.

On the one hand I want American jobs protected.

On the other hand this may hurt the poor as prices will rise to make the difference and then we are stuck with the same problem.

The first thing that needs to happen is abolishing the Federal Reserve System and stop the massive spending on wars, bases overseas, bailouts etc etc.

I don't think we have to necesarrily go back to the gold standard but we do need sound money.

When that happens we won't need minimum wage anymore as the inflation will stop.

Protectionism is making us richer at the cost of making us poorer.

How long of a run till free trade starts payin off ? How long must I wait for free trade to be good for me? Why Do you have to say ," In the long run".? Why cant you say now? If its good Bro why aint it F$%^ing good now? Stop saying what someone else did because its what everybody does .
Free trade is not good in any run long or short. How do you deal with the a communist country that has a closed economic system and totalitarian millatary regime to keep the profits in the system. While advancing the causes of the Communist political sysytem? So you trade into a closed system and to benefit you goobers they buy your treasurys ( Putting Pressure on your national credit rating )by dealing your economy a blow you have less revenue now. Ok I call that Economic warfare and your loosing ; but your a free trader. Say it with me. Let it roll off your lips and push it out into the air with your tounge- Free Trader, FREE TRADER, Freeeee Traaader,; Ummm God-thats soooooooo ohhhhh yehhh. The romanticism of Capitalism- it is that simple.

Last edited:
How long of a run till free trade starts payin off ? How long must i wait for free trade to be good for me? and why Do you have to say ," In the long run".? Why cant you say now? If its good Bro why aint it F$%^ing good now? Stop saying what someone else did because its what everybody does.
Free trade is not good in any run long or short. 1. how do you deal with the a communist country that has a closed economic system and totalitarian millatary regime to keep the profits in the system for advancing the causes of the Communist political sysytem? so you trade into a closed system and to benefit you goobers they buy your treasurys. Ok I call that Economic warfare and your loosing ; but your a free trader. Say it with me. Let it roll off your lips and push it out into the air with your tounge- Free Trader, FREE TRADER, Freeeee Traaader,; Ummm God-thats soooooooo ohhhhh yehhh.

It benefits you now.
You still have cheap toothbrushes and many other things that haven't crazily go up in price.
If they were made here, you can guarantee that they would have.

China has a somewhat joint venture economic system, money leaves them in the form of buying advanced technology and other things to make our stuff.
It may not be completely equal but it does help everyone involved.

How long of a run till free trade starts payin off ? How long must I wait for free trade to be good for me? Why Do you have to say ," In the long run".? Why cant you say now? If its good Bro why aint it F$%^ing good now? Stop saying what someone else did because its what everybody does .
Free trade is not good in any run long or short. How do you deal with the a communist country that has a closed economic system and totalitarian millatary regime to keep the profits in the system. While advancing the causes of the Communist political sysytem? So you trade into a closed system and to benefit you goobers they buy your treasurys ( Putting Pressure on your national credit rating )by dealing your economy a blow you have less revenue now. Ok I call that Economic warfare and your loosing ; but your a free trader. Say it with me. Let it roll off your lips and push it out into the air with your tounge- Free Trader, FREE TRADER, Freeeee Traaader,; Ummm God-thats soooooooo ohhhhh yehhh. The romanticism of Capitalism- it is that simple.

Do you gain from cheaper products? Does a country giving subsidies to one industry mean other industries have to make their goods more expensive?

Where is the manufacturing? Not here in the US. Why do you buy the less expensive products made overseas? Probably because they are less expensive.
What about outsourcing jobs to India? To other countries?
Why do companies do that? Labor is less expensive!
Companies go where labor is cheap! We go to where products are cheap!
------
Now, will US made products ever be as cheap as other countries? Nope.
Will US labor ever be as cheap as other countries? Nope.
------
Will the US survive with companies outsourcing jobs?
Will the US survive with imports that are half the price as ours?
------
Bottom Line..... should the US government provide heavy tariffs to US companies when they do outsource their jobs to another country?
Should there be heavy tariffs on MOST imported products?

Yes, they should. Corporate ********ers need to pay out their greedy corporate assholes when the send American jobs to some 3rd world **** hole.

Yes, they should. Corporate ********ers need to pay out their greedy corporate assholes when the send American jobs to some 3rd world **** hole.

Arrrgh, cheap goods are BAD!

Arrrgh, cheap goods are BAD!

Yeah I bet everything must have been pretty damn expensive before companies started outsroucing left and right to China and India.

I'm on the fence about this.

On the one hand I want American jobs protected.

On the other hand this may hurt the poor as prices will rise to make the difference and then we are stuck with the same problem. .

The poor will always do what they have done if something is too expensive to purchase upfront. Which is use lay away,fingerhut, buy used, rent to own, buy things on sale, shop at a second hand store, shop at a discount store, shop at a thrift store or wait until they get their tax refunds.

Yeah I bet everything must have been pretty damn expensive before companies started outsroucing left and right to China and India.

More expensive than it is now. Don't forget that when those jobs leave us that we still have high paying jobs to go to. Are you going to tell me that average salary has fallen because of free trade? Because that just makes absolutely no economic sense.

More expensive than it is now. Don't forget that when those jobs leave us that we still have high paying jobs to go to.

What kind of jobs replaced the ones that outsourced?

Are you going to tell me that average salary has fallen because of free trade?

Depends what that job was replaced with.

Because that just makes absolutely no economic sense.

It makes perfect sense if the factory worker is now working for wal-mart or some other low wage job because the factory he was working at was outsourced or if the factories that didn't leave can just threaten to outsource.

What kind of jobs replaced the ones that outsourced?

Finance, service, etc.

Depends what that job was replaced with.

Something that we all would be better off with them doing, inherently. Otherwise the jobs wouldn't have left even with free trade.

It makes perfect sense if the factory worker is now working for wal-mart or some other low wage job because the factory he was working at was outsourced or if the factories that didn't leave can just threaten to outsource.

But we're not replacing all of the jobs that left with jobs at Wal-Mart.

I realize that I've been quoting Thomas Sowell a lot lately, but his writing is easy to read and he conveys his points well, so his works are worth mentioning.

Thomas Sowell said:
Those who complain loudly about how many jobs have been “exported” to other countries because of international free trade totally ignore all the jobs that have been imported to the American economy because of that same free trade. Siemens alone employs tens of thousands of American workers, and Toyota has already produced its ten millionth car in the United States. Management guru Peter Drucker has said that this country imports far more jobs than it exports, and no one has contradicted him. Indeed, those who are loudest in denouncing the exporting of jobs totally ignore the importing of jobs.

Free international trade produces both the benefits of increased productivity and the adjustment problems that all other forms of increased productivity produce—namely, job losses in the less competitive firms and industries. The typewriter industry was devastated by the rise of the computer, as the horse and buggy industry was devastated by the rise of the automobile. Histories of the industrial revolution lament the plight of the hand-loom weavers when power looms were introduced.

Low Taxes Do What? | Hoover Institution

It seems that, so FAR, the majority doesnt want, or understand how important Tariffs are to American jobs.

You want to put American workers OUT of work? Tear down tariffs and support over-seas production. You want to support the American Economy??? Provide tariffs!
Companies are getting away with killing our industry! I HAAATE Unions greed too. But there MUST be a middle ground! :soap

It seems that, so FAR, the majority doesnt want, or understand how important Tariffs are to American jobs.

You want to put American workers OUT of work? Tear down tariffs and support over-seas production. You want to support the American Economy??? Provide tariffs!
Companies are getting away with killing our industry! I HAAATE Unions greed too. But there MUST be a middle ground! :soap

Economics in One Lesson: The ... - Google Books

Read starting on page 74.

The whole idea with moving manufacturing outside of the US to china .. and other third world economies was to exploit the cheap labour. The idea was that American and other western economies would "mature" and move away from agriculture/manufacturing etc into new economies. This was the idea that made globalism something worth trying for. Like IT and biological engineering. But the plan kinda backfired. IT .COM bubble burst back in 2001 or so and Biotech was supposed to be right around the corner. Information technological workers are already being reduced by more and more advanced operating systems.. What did boom was the service sector but for the most part it created low paying low quality jobs. So economists who have been trying to engineer this global economy have really failed society. The creation of new advanced economic activity that is more profitable then manufacturing has outright failed. Our inability to compete with third world nations has become obvious and we don’t have alternative markets to compete in because they can manage just as well it appears.

The housing bubble which is just a financial scam to create wealth at the top was clearly a desperate hope and the last trick we had up our sleeves. It did fail considerably more quickly then they had originally suspected as a result of deregulated financial practices like derivatives.(hurray for unregulated business!) The third world labour market is way behind and we still cannot compete with them directly on much anything.

So now your the bag holder of the global economy.. grats. If the US economy collapses.. which it will because of your expanding trade deficit where you export all your wealth you borrowed from the people you buy things from.. the global economy fails. Your debt is fuelling their economies. Your multinational corporations are directly profiting from your debt.. all the while moving their ships and wealth to a whole other countries beyond your political reach. In the end they will make off like bandits. Your endless consumption of stuff made in what would be considered slavery here has done nothing but put your economy in ruins.

The only way out for America is to manufacture and export but now business will want you to compete with un-unionised slave labour from China. Welcome to unrestrained markets, capitalism at its finest and building castles in the sky.

The only way out for America is to manufacture and export but now business will want you to compete with un-unionised slave labour from China. Welcome to unrestrained markets, capitalism at its finest and building castles in the sky.

Yet we've all been growing richer. Explain.

Your fooling yourself on that.

I think you are failing to realise the mess your country is in, it isn't because of protectionism or welfare bums. Ironically the mess you are in is directly attributable to libertarian economic policies.

I think you are failing to realise the mess your country is in, it isn't because of protectionism or welfare bums. Ironically the mess you are in is directly attributable to libertarian economic policies.

Right, inflation and high taxation have no economic ills associated with them.

Back
Top Bottom