• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does a father have rights to stop an abortion?

Does a father have rights to stop an abortion?

• Yes, it's here body, she decides.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No, he father has rights too.

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mac

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I hear many pro-choice arguments, mostly from the point of view that it is a woman's right to decide if she wants to have a child. My question is: If a woman decides to have an abortion, but the father wants the baby and is willing to take full custody of it, does the mother have the right to terminate anyway?

p.s. Sorry about the mispellings in the answers....and the yes and no are in the wrong place. Oh, jeez.

Last edited:
I think you wrote the poll answers wrong....

I think neither have the rights to abortion...

You could try to edit the poll. Not sure if you can do that....

If you can't, just make another thread with the poll and ask a mod to delete this one.

I hear many pro-choice arguments, mostly from the point of view that it is a woman's right to decide if she wants to have a child. My question is: If a woman decides to have an abortion, but the father wants the baby and is willing to take full custody of it, does the mother have the right to terminate anyway?

p.s. Sorry about the mispellings in the answers....and the yes and no are in the wrong place. Oh, jeez.

I'd like to vote 'yes' but I don't agree with the rational you coupled a yes vote to, so I can't answer the poll.

IMO yes a father does have such a right, and it should become a legal right, but no part of my thought process has to do with anyone controlling anyone else.

Last edited:

I feel he should have the right to take her to court and fight for his rights as a parent, absolutely. (I don't know if that can be done, though - I've heard of women being taken to court for their failure to see to a safe and sound pregnancy, though; like smoking and drinking while pregnant being a concern).

But if a woman is willing to abort and has no desire or intention on seeing a pregnancy through - one would need to be extremely concerned for the unborn's wellbeing if, somehow, a judge managed to order that she not abort.

Of course, one would also hope that a judge/potential father wouldn't demand a woman consider carrying a baby when it's unsafe for the mother.

I feel he should have the right to take her to court and fight for his rights as a parent, absolutely. (I don't know if that can be done, though - I've heard of women being taken to court for their failure to see to a safe and sound pregnancy, though; like smoking and drinking while pregnant being a concern).

But if a woman is willing to abort and has no desire or intention on seeing a pregnancy through - one would need to be extremely concerned for the unborn's wellbeing if, somehow, a judge managed to order that she not abort.

Of course, one would also hope that a judge/potential father wouldn't demand a woman consider carrying a baby when it's unsafe for the mother.

She's 8 months along, has a panic attack (which are total bull**** anyway), doctor shops a shrink who will sign off on a late term abortion for her.

The father sees through all the BS and fights to keep his kid. I say he has that right.

Maybe she can take a medication which will make her stable through the rest of the pregnancy, and simply doesn't desire to take the med because, oh, it'll make her tired all the time. I say the father has the right. Killing a child simply because you don't want to be sleepy is retarded.

As for anything pre-viability, sure he has that right, he needs to join pro-life and support various legislation and a SCOTUS revisit to Roe v. Wade. I don't think there's anything he could do for his individual case in the moment, however. These things take time. If you ever want children you need to begin protecting them from their mother now.

Last edited:
Mac, if you tell me how you want the poll worded, I can fix it for you.

She's 8 months along, has a panic attack (which are total bull**** anyway), doctor shops a shrink who will sign off on a late term abortion for her --

Isn't that a bit of a strawman?

Do any states in the US allow such late term abortions unless on health reasons?

In answer to the poll - having read whether the questions are right or wrong - I won't tick any boxes. However I vote "no" the father has no rights to stop the abortion. He had that right when he didn't wear a condom however I do think if a father is absolutely certain that he doesn't wish to have a child he should be able to sign away (only during pregnancy) his parental responsibility AND his duty to pay child support. Such a decision should be unrepealable and the mother should have no right to prevent it.

If the mother makes the decision to continue with a gestation against a father's wishes, she shouldn't be allowed to make him pay for the next 18 years. Once the 9 months is up or the birth had occurred I feel it's too late for the father to change his mind and decide he didn't want a child as he's had a lengthy time period to consider his position.

Mac, if you tell me how you want the poll worded, I can fix it for you.

I re-did a new one before I saw this. Please just lock this one. Thanks!

I can't answer the poll as the answers are blatantly skewed regardless of what you pick.

But no, the father should have no right to stop an abortion. It's not his body.

I re-did a new one before I saw this. Please just lock this one. Thanks!

Moderator's Warning:
thread closed at request, please reply in the open thread of same name

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom