• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Documents show media plotting to kill stories about Rev. Jeremiah Wright

Ockham

Noblesse oblige
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
To those few who still believe or insist there is no such thing as a liberal media, liberal bias in the media, or some coherent shared world-view shaping how and what our media presents to people... I submit this. There definitely IS a coherent and motivated group think within the media shaping and manipulating how content is presented - such that a political or world view is favored: IE, the liberal/progressive mindset. We now can see what went on in the 2008 election season behind the scenes.

The reactions may be, "Well, this is why I don't watch Network News" or "this is why I only get my information on the internet" -- well, the internet is exactly where these plans for manipulation were created. If you think that your sources aren't manipulated and the news or information isn't shaped by the SAME people who put them on television or in newspapers, it's time to get a clue. Only now do we get the real story --- 2 years after it occurred when it's too late to really have an impact as the people of this country? This furthers the "manipulate now" and "ignore it later" tactics.

Calls for picking out a "rightwing" person on TV and calling them a racist purely to put them off the story and on the defensive... well... we all know THAT doesn't happen (ie., Tea Party, Palin, <insert conservative here>) right?

Documents show media plotting to kill stories about Rev. Jeremiah Wright | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

The Daily Caller said:
Employees of news organizations including Time, Politico, the Huffington Post, the Baltimore Sun, the Guardian, Salon and the New Republic participated in outpourings of anger over how Obama had been treated in the media, and in some cases plotted to fix the damage.

Michael Tomasky, a writer for the Guardian: “Listen folks–in my opinion, we all have to do what we can to kill ABC and this idiocy in whatever venues we have. This isn’t about defending Obama. This is about how the [mainstream media] kills any chance of discourse that actually serves the people ... We need to throw chairs now, try as hard as we can to get the call next time. Otherwise the questions in October will be exactly like this. This is just a disease.”

Jared Bernstein, who would go on to be Vice President Joe Biden’s top economist when Obama took office, helped, too. The letter should be “Short, punchy and solely focused on vapidity of gotcha,” Bernstein wrote.

Chris Hayes of the Nation posted on April 29, 2008, urging his colleagues to ignore Wright. Hayes directed his message to “particularly those in the ostensible mainstream media” who were members of the list ... “It has everything to do with the attempts of the right to maintain control of the country.”

Pick one of Obama’s conservative critics, Ackerman wrote, “Fred Barnes, Karl Rove, who cares — and call them racists. Ask: why do they have such a deep-seated problem with a black politician who unites the country? What lurks behind those problems? This makes *them* sputter with rage, which in turn leads to overreaction and self-destruction."

Kevin Drum, then of Washington Monthly, also disagreed with Ackerman’s strategy. “I think it’s worth keeping in mind that Obama is trying (or says he’s trying) to run a campaign that avoids precisely the kind of thing Spencer is talking about, and turning this into a gutter brawl would probably hurt the Obama brand pretty strongly. After all, why vote for him if it turns out he’s not going change the way politics works?”

Why indeed? Why indeed....

The Daily Caller said:
But it was Ackerman who had the last word. “Kevin, I’m not saying OBAMA should do this. I’m saying WE should do this.

*note: My emphasis in bolded or underlined area's.

The only part that really surprised me was the part where the guy said to call people racist. That's a jackass statement.

Other than that it seems to be just a few liberal journalists writing a statement and talking to eachother about how por the mainstream media is about covering parts of the election. To try to paint this into some vast left wing conspiracy is nuts.

If I were to get a conversation involving Bill Krystol, David Brooks, Charles Krauthammer, Karl Rove, Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck etc.. about how unfair the media is treating conservatives and what their gameplan was to change it, would you take me serious when I act as if the New York Times and Fox News are part of a major conspiracy?

These were journalists, not entire publications. Just cause you have a liberal from the politico talking like a liberal doesn't mean the whole website is liberal leaning. They are actually a pretty fair website from what I've seen. They go after everyone pretty equally.

Last edited:
Im sorry, do you have any more solid sources than "The Daily Caller"?

Im sorry, do you have any more solid sources than "The Daily Caller"?

Only if you have solid sources that convincingly discredit "The Daily Caller".

The only part that really surprised me was the part where the guy said to call people racist. That's a jackass statement.

Other than that it seems to be just a few liberal journalists writing a statement and talking to eachother about how por the mainstream media is about covering parts of the election. To try to paint this into some vast left wing conspiracy is nuts.

If I were to get a conversation involving Bill Krystol, David Brooks, Charles Krauthammer, Karl Rove, Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck etc.. about how unfair the media is treating conservatives and what their gameplan was to change it, would you take me serious when I act as if the New York Times and Fox News are part of a major conspiracy?

These were journalists, not entire publications. Just cause you have a liberal from the politico talking like a liberal doesn't mean the whole website is liberal leaning. They are actually a pretty fair website from what I've seen. They go after everyone pretty equally.

I think it was clear these "journalists" (of which is arguable) were discussing how to give cover to Obama in the 2008 election by manipulating, covering up, igoring or taking pro-active accusatory actions against "right wing" media members. Just discussion for discussion sake wouldn't be that bad, but as with a few - they were identifying what actions to take and the preferred outcome - ie., call "so-and-so" a racist and get them on the defensive. Jackass statement? Sure --- but when viewed in it's entirety, it's at least a conspiracy to misinform and obfuscate information for political gain by the media.

I'd like to see Kristol, Krauthammer and Hannity or any other information available where similar actions occurred.

Only if you have solid sources that convincingly discredit "The Daily Caller".
It's an online newspaper with no established credibility. You need to provide a reason for me to trust this.

It's an online newspaper with no established credibility. You need to provide a reason for me to trust this.

I don't have to provide you anything. You're the person complaining it has no credibility - so prove it. Otherwise, until it's discredited - it stands.

WOW! The conspiracy to end all conspiracies. Gee, the Rev. Wright story was nowhere to be had. Such gullible people - conservatives. :mrgreen:

Thank's for the laugh.

WOW! The conspiracy to end all conspiracies. Gee, the Rev. Wright story was nowhere to be had. Such gullible people - conservatives. :mrgreen:

Thank's for the laugh.

Ignorance laughing... that's typical. Would you have read the link - we've exited conspiracies and entered fact, sorry to say.

I don't have to provide you anything. You're the person complaining it has no credibility - so prove it. Otherwise, until it's discredited - it stands.
The burden of proof is on you to demonstrate that your source is trustworthy, one doesn't prove a negative for that is an argument from ignorance.

Your basic claim is that this is a legitimate news story from a trustworthy source. I dispute that claim, citing the fact that it's an online newspaper with no apparent credentials. The burden of proof is on you to demonstrate that your source is sound

Ignorance laughing... that's typical. Would you have read the link - we've exited conspiracies and entered fact, sorry to say.
Did this conspiracy work? - still laughing.
gullible is the word for the day. :mrgreen:

Be as childish as you want, it doesnt change the fact that you need to give us a reason to take this source seriously.

I'm not taking your attempt of diversion in this thread seriously.

Did this conspiracy work? - still laughing.
gullible is the word for the day. :mrgreen:

Calling yourself gullible is commendable. At least you know it.

I'm not taking your attempt of diversion in this thread seriously.
It's not a diversion attempt. I want to know that this story is coming from a reputable source.

Calling yourself gullible is commendable. At least you know it.

Don't kid youself, I have my BS Radar ON.

Please tell me if this conspiracy worked. Was there a blackout of Rev. Wright stories?

Well, the source does have an obligation to provide verifiable support. No source should be accepted simply because it says something you want to hear. If it makes a claim, those reading it should ask, what's the support? If people reading it don't do that, they become tools. Also, one good way to check a source is to see if any already established credibile source reports the same thing. The more credible sources that report it, the more likely that there is some truth to it.

So far, we have one liberal refusing to believe the story and one saying its no big deal.

If it were the other way around, they would be leading the charge.

:roll:

So far, we have one liberal refusing to believe the story and one saying its no big deal.

Instead of playing partisan, you could, y'know, do something to make the story more credible. I realize thats sort of par for the course as far as a lot of Conservatives go, but there's no dictum that says you HAVE to follow that path.

Not sure about everyone, but I don't see myself making this weak an argument. Nor would I constantly whine about the media.

Instead of playing partisan, you could, y'know, do something to make the story more credible.
I dont have any reason to think it isn't credible, and as such, I dont have any responsibilty to do anything.

You, however, rather than address the message, are simply attacking the source and offering no support for that attack. This -is- the typical course of the liberal who reads news he doesn't like.

I dont have any reason to think it isn't credible, and as such, I dont have any responsibilty to do anything.

You, however, rather than address the message, are simply attacking the source and offering no support for that attack. This -is- the typical course of the liberal who reads news he doesn't like.

Unless one is a partisan tool, everyone has a responsibility to make sure what they accept is credible.

I dont have any reason to think it isn't credible
Of course not, it agrees with your point of view.

and as such, I dont have any responsibilty to do anything.
No, not strictly. But it'd be a nice change.

Questioning a source is perfectly valid.

Of course not, it agrees with your point of view.
Not any more than your refusing to accept iits credibility is based on the fact that it doesnt agree with yours.

Back
Top Bottom