• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Documents released under FOIA show that we were lied into the Iraq War

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
And here is the kicker. George Bush honestly believed the bad intel. He was played by others who wanted the war. For instance....

The CIA intercepted a shipment of aluminum tubes bound for Iraq. Oak Ridge determined that these tubes were not compatible for a nuclear program, but the CIA showed a sample of the tubes to Bush BEFORE the Oak Ridge report came out. The outcome of that was Condoleeza Rice making her infamous "Mushroom Cloud" prediction.

The above is just a sample. There is much more, such as the document used by the Bush administration claiming that Saddam was attempting to obtain yellow cake uranium - That document had been forged. This led to the outing of Valerie Plame, when Joe Wilson disputed the claim. Chalabi provided some of the intel we used to go to war - Chalabi lied his ass off because he wanted power in Iraq. He got what he wanted, and our troops needlessly bled for it.

There is so much in these documents that show the Bush administration as being a pawn in a bigger game, one in which Bush, and many of those in his administration, were used as pawns in a larger game of checkmating a king, Saddam, at any and all cost. The cost to the American people was more than a trillion dollars, and the blood of many of our troops, which stained the battlefield.

No, Bush did not lie us into Iraq, but we were lied into that war nonetheless. The documents are now available which show what actually happened, and it is not pretty.

Read the documents, and you will find out that many Liberals were wrong in their accusations, and many Conservatives were wrong in defending Bush. The real loser here was the American people, and the trust they misplaced in government.

Article, as well as documents linked to by the article, are here. A complete time line is also available.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. Downloading the documents now.

I will give Bush some credit for at least remaining focused on Afghanistan after 9/11, despite pressure from Wolfowitz and Rumsfeld to go after Iraq then and there. Still, it utterly unacceptable that it is possible to start a war just because some assholes feel like it. All it takes is a couple of warmongers within the government along with a expatriate con-artist to convince an incompetent president, and the most powerful nation in the world invades another country for no reason at all. To be fair, congress let us down being craven and supporting the war for public appeal, the media let us down by choosing sensationalism over facts, and the even the public failed by being so easily manipulated.

And here is the kicker. George Bush honestly believed the bad intel. He was played by others who wanted the war. For instance....

The CIA intercepted a shipment of aluminum tubes bound for Iraq. Oak Ridge determined that these tubes were not compatible for a nuclear program, but the CIA showed a sample of the tubes to Bush BEFORE the Oak Ridge report came out. The outcome of that was Condoleeza Rice making her infamous "Mushroom Cloud" prediction.

The above is just a sample. There is much more, such as the document used by the Bush administration claiming that Saddam was attempting to obtain yellow cake uranium - That document had been forged. This led to the outing of Valerie Plame, when Joe Wilson disputed the claim. Chalabi provided some of the intel we used to go to war - Chalabi lied his ass off because he wanted power in Iraq. He got what he wanted, and our troops needlessly bled for it.

There is so much in these documents that show the Bush administration as being a pawn in a bigger game, one in which Bush, and many of those in his administration, were used as pawns in a larger game of checkmating a king, Saddam, at any and all cost. The cost to the American people was more than a trillion dollars, and the blood of many of our troops, which stained the battlefield.

No, Bush did not lie us into Iraq, but we were lied into that war nonetheless. The documents are now available which show what actually happened, and it is not pretty.

Read the documents, and you will find out that many Liberals were wrong in their accusations, and many Conservatives were wrong in defending Bush. The real loser here was the American people, and the trust they misplaced in government.

Article, as well as documents linked to by the article, are here. A complete time line is also available.

Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Feith, Chalabi, 'Curve Ball,' 'Alternative Intelligence'...

The terms and names above should always be associated with lying and subversion.

Of course, most of the White House personnel wanted to go into Iraq from January, 2001. There's plenty of guilt to go around, lots of folks to pin it on.

And Congress allowed it. A government of cowards and fools from the top down, and we're still paying for their mistakes today.

I find it odd that folks need released documents to determine what I knew back in Feb. 2003.

What you knew was not what you knew. It was what you felt. There are those of us who like research rather than gut feelings.

So it would seem that what I felt is what you are studying today.

So it would seem that what I felt is what you are studying today.

Except you weren't alone. The only thing most people had was what little insight the media was giving them, liberals and all. You weren't the wiser for it, you were merely playing the game millions of Americans were doing-indulging in the temporary with little concern for the long haul.

The character of an administration takes decades to fully flush out.

Except you weren't alone. The only thing most people had was what little insight the media was giving them, liberals and all. You weren't the wiser for it, you were merely playing the game millions of Americans were doing-indulging in the temporary with little concern for the long haul.

The character of an administration takes decades to fully flush out.
If there was ever an administration that needed to be "flushed out", I'd say the previous one is as good of a pick as any.

What you knew was not what you knew. It was what you felt. There are those of us who like research rather than gut feelings.

It's not only good, but important to have the proper support. Glad to see more of this come out.

I find it odd that folks need released documents to determine what I knew back in Feb. 2003.

I'm with you here. I knew immediately after listening to then SoS Powell address the U.N. So many things just didn't add up, i.e., the alledged meeting btwn Atta and a member of the Iraq gov't, the mobile chemical weapons labs, the fact that despite reports of the contrary no one - not even the UN weapons inspectors - could show solid proof of Saddam's weapons cache or that he had anything other than conventional weapons. Of course, many people have argued, "That's why they couldn't find them! He hide them!" Well, where? Seven years later and all we've found were depleted this, non-weapons grade this, a few thousand semi-automatic riffles and that's about it. Nothing truly concrete.

Such a waste of man, weaponry, money and time. But...

Hopefully, history will show that we did the right then even for the wrong reason.

Last edited:
Now that this information concerning the buildup to the Iraq War has been released, I do wonder (again) if the 2000 and 2004 Presidential elections really were scams on the American people. Since learning long ago (and confirmed in the linked documents from the OP) that the Bush-43 Administration were making plans for war w/Iraq in early 2001, I've asked myself this same question countless times:

"How is it that GW Bush was able to solitified his Administration so quickly AND have plans for going to war effectively "laying on the Oval Office desk" so soon after he took office?

Am I the only person who has ever wondered about this?

No. A lot of us knew going back into Iraq was a stupid mistake. The way you know is by researching a little historical data. Gulf of Tonkin, for instance. It shows that people will lie to get what they want, even people at the top.

Also, common sense helps. Why re-invade a country that you have so much control over that they can't fly a plane without your approval? How dangerous can an impotent, blustering dictator be? Is this pissant worth thousands of American lives and a trillion dollars? He wasn't to me.

Last edited:
No. A lot of us knew going back into Iraq was a stupid mistake. The way you know is by researching a little historical data. Gulf of Tonkin, for instance. It shows that people will lie to get what they want, even people at the top.

Also, common sense helps. Why re-invade a country that you have so much control over that they can't fly a plane without your approval? How dangerous can an impotent, blustering dictator be? Is this pissant worth thousands of American lives and a trillion dollars? He wasn't to me.

This is why I had a lot of respect for Bush Sr. This is one of the reasons I felt good about voting for him again in 1992.

There is a reason he pulled the troops out of Iraq when he did. Too bad that the son was not a chip off the old block.

This is why I had a lot of respect for Bush Sr. This is one of the reasons I felt good about voting for him again in 1992.

There is a reason he pulled the troops out of Iraq when he did. Too bad that the son was not a chip off the old block.

Yeah, G.H.W. had an acheivable goal, to push Iraq out of Kuwait and make sure they couldn't go back in. Why go further when that was accomplished? The dictator was then penned in, and no threat to us at all.

If I remember right, about 120 or 130 Americans died in the first war. Of course, that's 120 or 130 too many, but it was the best that could be done considering the task and the number of sorties, etc. Why keep advancing when the casualty rate might have been 10 or 100 times more? And a wise man doesn't want ownership of that country.

Now that this information concerning the buildup to the Iraq War has been released, I do wonder (again) if the 2000 and 2004 Presidential elections really were scams on the American people. Since learning long ago (and confirmed in the linked documents from the OP) that the Bush-43 Administration were making plans for war w/Iraq in early 2001, I've asked myself this same question countless times:

Am I the only person who has ever wondered about this?

I was one of the few people that happened to be tuned into the nightly news at just the right time: President Bush, after talking about the mushroom cloud smoking gun said: "Saddam tried to kill my Daddy".

But he tried to kill my daddy!

That clip was found and destroyed by the neo-con clan within minutes. It will never air again. Yet it plainly showed the interest that the administration had in 'finishing the job' in Iraq.

That clip was found and destroyed by the neo-con clan within minutes. It will never air again. Yet it plainly showed the interest that the administration had in 'finishing the job' in Iraq

It certainly hasn't stopped liberals from using that line of rhetoric has it?

aras karim habib

should be on the list as well

googler:

aras karim habib - Google Search

also some notes:

Blog Archives

“The Defense Intelligence Agency has concluded that a U.S.-funded arm of Ahmed Chalabi’s Iraqi National Congress has been used for years by Iranian intelligence to pass disinformation to the United States and to collect highly sensitive American secrets, according to intelligence sources.”​

Last edited:
I was one of the few people that happened to be tuned into the nightly news at just the right time: President Bush, after talking about the mushroom cloud smoking gun said: "Saddam tried to kill my Daddy".

But he tried to kill my daddy!

That clip was found and destroyed by the neo-con clan within minutes. It will never air again. Yet it plainly showed the interest that the administration had in 'finishing the job' in Iraq.

I remember Bush saying that like it was yesterday. That emotion is partly what pushed us into that war, along with the President being easily manipulable.

I remember Bush saying that like it was yesterday. That emotion is partly what pushed us into that war, along with the President being easily manipulable.

I agree. Bush was just a figurehead. The real president during the Bush years was the guy who wrote "Rebuilding America's Defenses" for PNAC. That, of course, was Dick Cheney.

I agree. Bush was just a figurehead. The real president during the Bush years was the guy who wrote "Rebuilding America's Defenses" for PNAC. That, of course, was Dick Cheney.

No news there, friend. This thread is depressing :\

Dick Cheney didn't write that report. It was Donald Kagan and Gary Schmitt being project co-chairs, and Thomas Donnelly the principal author.

Back
Top Bottom