• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Doctors without Borders forced to leave Somalia

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
[h=1]Doctors Without Borders Is Forced to Abandon Somalia[/h]
Despite more than two decades of bringing medical care to one of the most dangerous countries in the world, the humanitarian group Doctors Without Borders is withdrawing from Somalia due to "unparalleled levels of risk." In an announcement today, the group says that "extreme abuses" perpetrated against the staff and it supporters, combined with a total lack of support from civilian leaders have forced them to close all their medical and health programs, cutting off the only source of vital health services for the country's most endangered citizens.

What a horrible place.
and what a terrible story.

Thanks for posting that, I guess. Bad news that. Somalia a huge hole the world is going to be filling in for generations. I had hoped things would have turned around some now that they have an established central government and constitution.

Thanks for posting that, I guess. Bad news that. Somalia a huge hole the world is going to be filling in for generations. I had hoped things would have turned around some now that they have an established central government and constitution.

Somalia will never turn around in our lifetime. Until they decide they are too exhausted to continue to do it all on their own, you are not going to curb the tribal warfare mentality by any means. The right to vote means nothing in a blood feud.

I spent 6 months in the Central African Republic with Medicines Sans Frontiers, you would be amazed at some of the things you see and witness. Somalia may as well be a feudal fiefdom at this point but unfortunately its the nature of the societal situation there. I am surprised that you don't hear more about the CAR when people talk about this area of Africa, from the CAR in a band across Africa to Somalia. South Sudan had a lot of the press recently but you never hear about the CAR.

Somalia will never turn around in our lifetime. Until they decide they are too exhausted to continue to do it all on their own, you are not going to curb the tribal warfare mentality by any means. The right to vote means nothing in a blood feud.

Unless you are 80 that seems to be an extraordinarily bold prediction. Less than thirty years ago the idea that the Soviet Union was facing imminent collapse was laughable, five years later the process was well under way. Likewise five years ago the prospect of massive wave revolutions in the Arab world seemed extraordinarily unlikely, just two years later it was reality. Somalia already has several functioning territories in Somaliland, Puntland, and arguably Galmadug. To the surprise of many and for all its flaws the AU seems to have actually deployed a real combat mission to the country and has reclaimed the capital. Even from five or six years ago the situation in Somalia has changed.

Is it possible it will all fail? Yes it is. The civil war, infighting, and internecine communal combat could continue for another decade or more. Or it could not. All I know is that definitive predictions in the long term about issues like this are fairly difficult.

Have a little hope.

I spent 6 months in the Central African Republic with Medicines Sans Frontiers, you would be amazed at some of the things you see and witness. Somalia may as well be a feudal fiefdom at this point but unfortunately its the nature of the societal situation there. I am surprised that you don't hear more about the CAR when people talk about this area of Africa, from the CAR in a band across Africa to Somalia. South Sudan had a lot of the press recently but you never hear about the CAR.

Wow, the CAR is horrifying I'm intrigued you were there. At least it has lower levels of consistent violence than other countries. Hot damn though does it seem ripe as an example of a country that probably could use the temporary amelioration of its sovereignty if only someone like France was willing to jump in and take control.

Unless you are 80 that seems to be an extraordinarily bold prediction. Less than thirty years ago the idea that the Soviet Union was facing imminent collapse was laughable, five years later the process was well under way. Likewise five years ago the prospect of massive wave revolutions in the Arab world seemed extraordinarily unlikely, just two years later it was reality. Somalia already has several functioning territories in Somaliland, Puntland, and arguably Galmadug. To the surprise of many and for all its flaws the AU seems to have actually deployed a real combat mission to the country and has reclaimed the capital. Even from five or six years ago the situation in Somalia has changed.

Is it possible it will all fail? Yes it is. The civil war, infighting, and internecine communal combat could continue for another decade or more. Or it could not. All I know is that definitive predictions in the long term about issues like this are fairly difficult.

Have a little hope.

No I am far from 80 and it is not a bold prediction. The place is never getting better.

Its the lack of any security that was the biggest thing playing on your mind. In many area's of the country (And i use the word country very loosely here) there is no police, military or any government presence. It is almost like taking a trip back to hunter gather society with no law or societal order. It definitely gets rid of some of the naivety. Unfortunately for the CAR though they do have some natural resource's, they are not top of the exploitation list, so unfortunately i doubt any foreign nation would be willing to put to much effort into it. Perhaps China's increasing involvement in the Continent will bring it around the CAR, but i wouldn't hold my breath.

Back
Top Bottom