• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do your responses change based on the sex/gender of the poster?

Do you respond differently to posters based on their sex/gender?

• Total voters
I don't have anyone on my ignore list. I am not so delicate that I can't handle seeing the posts of people on the internet I may not have much respect for.

The fact that you have ANY respect for people you disagree with shows me that you have no common sense to begin with. I most certainly don't make that mistake.

Then I would suggest that you've added me to your ignore list, right?.... Because that's who I am and who I will always be.

May the Gods have no mercy at all. on your Soul.

While I admittedly can get more pissed off than I should sometimes, you take the concepts of "thin skin" and "small mindedness" to entirely new levels.

This is something I've been wondering about for a long time and I want honest answers from you DP'ers so don't lie to me.
When I first joined DP I didn't make my sex/gender clear immediately because I didn't want to be judged based on whether I was a male or female. It didn't last long because as I've mentioned in the past I'm a little bit sexist, I love being female (sex/gender) and I think it would suck to be a guy so not declaring that I'm female was too much for me.

The poll question I have for you is:

Do you respond differently if you know whether the person you're responding to is a guy or a girl?

For an extended discussion list the reasons why?
I think it's natural to be biased. In my case, I'd be more polite to the women. I also know that my responses are influenced by any perception I may have that I am speaking to a pretty woman. It's the main reason I shut off my avatar display.

The fact that you have ANY respect for people you disagree with shows me that you have no common sense to begin with. I most certainly don't make that mistake.

There is a wide swath of land between disagreement and despicable.

There are people here I disagree with that I do respect. You aren't one of them.

I also always find it really hilarious when people sputter supernatural condemnation at atheists. Is that supposed to frighten me? I'm more curious about your genuine desire to see people suffer, actually.

A weird thing I've noticed is that if someone sends me a "like" or two, I tend to cut them some slack when I disagree with them later on a topic.

Just a wee touch narrow minded there, Tigger.

Just because someone's POV differs from your own, doesn't mean it's any less correct from that point of view. Disagreeing with someone doesn't mean you can't still respect them as a person.

Depends on the subject:

Things like birth just aren't a conversation guys KNOW about from the same perspective. But it's impossible to discuss my life without talking about things from my perspective - which is female. My view regarding abortion is going to be painted with my direct experience of pregnancy, etc.

When it comes to to things in which gender doesn't matter - no, it doesn't affect how I respond.

I don't pretend to be closer to the girls than the guys (or anything like that) - In fact, sometimes I don't even know who I'm talking to or what gender they are, or what political affiliation they are - I'm responding to words on a screen that someone has typed. I say what I want - and if they care to read it good for them :D

...and if someone alters their responses to me because I'm female - rest assured it won't be that much to me - I'll still chew someone a new asshole if I feel like it. LOL - which I try to avoid IN GENERAL out of respect for this forum and the moderators.

<<<<< "Whew", wipes swet from brow, looks down behind him.....yep, were still all good Auntie Mmmmm.
V4yc9.jpg

Do you respond differently if you know whether the person you're responding to is a guy or a girl?

I guess the answer is yes. Other things given equal, I am more polite to a lady, in the middle of some heated disagreement, than I would be to a dude. It's like holding the door or offering your seat on a bus - just good manners.

Another thing: in my native languages ( I am a Pole who grew up in Russia), all nouns have gender. You don't say some things to a woman not because you are such a gentleman, but because it is linguistically impossible.

Like in Spanish: carbon is a strong swearing word (or an exclusive buddy-word, not unlike our n----r), but cabra is a nanny goat, and nothing else. Likewise, in Russian kozyol (male goat) is offensive: Billy goats were used to lead herds of sheep to slaughterhouses. Natural "charismatic politicians" (Judas goat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Considering how "interesting" the Russian history was in the last century......

A koza (female goat), on the other hand, is just a cute domesticated mammal that makes the Greek Salad possible. The word is even used, sometimes, as a term of endearment, in an amorous-couple situation.

And then...

Perhaps the (natural, if you think about it) coalition of unrepentant misogynists and far-left feminists will find it hard to accept, but treating people of the other gender (race, ethnicity, religion, preference in soft dinks...) better is not a problem.

How about we focus on the cases when people are treated worse? It's not like we have to go to the end of the world, to encounter such anomalies.

Last edited:
This is something I've been wondering about for a long time and I want honest answers from you DP'ers so don't lie to me.
When I first joined DP I didn't make my sex/gender clear immediately because I didn't want to be judged based on whether I was a male or female. It didn't last long because as I've mentioned in the past I'm a little bit sexist, I love being female (sex/gender) and I think it would suck to be a guy so not declaring that I'm female was too much for me.

I don't think I do, although much behavior is innate, subconscious, etc.

I try to be extra nice to everyone regardless of gender, debating the issues rather than people. Most of the time I try not to even look at other posters' names or avatars but there are cases where people stand out so much for a variety of reasons its impossible to do. I tend to get a little defensive when I'm personally accused of holding a position that I've never disclosed, which is often not exactly accurate and in some cases complete untruths. In those cases, I'm usually less polite; still courteous but making the point that the person who falsely characterized me is either not very smart, dishonest or both. I MIGHT be more tactful if I know the person making the false claim is female but generally my response to those rare instances match the tone of the false accusation that are almost always insulting in some way. If its an honest misunderstanding for example, my clarification would not be defensive.

I'm of the view ladies are nicer than guys so I try to be especially polite to females. Interesting the last board I left was because a female poster made some accusations with respect to my positions that were less than accurate. The best lies are the ones where there's some truth and some dishonesty. Then I started getting piled upon by several other posters in ways that sort of insulted both my character and intelligence. I honestly don't think any of them truly believed me to be the type of person they were trying to characterize me to be but they absolutely hated my positions on certain social issues and were engaging in a tactic of vilifying the messenger. It was a way smaller community than this and the people involved were prominent and in some cases in leadership positions so I figured they'd be happier if I were gone. I'm not into being anybody's kill-joy. In fact, one of two guys who I suspected left the board because they didn't like my views being expressed returned after I left and another who never left but indirectly insulted me on an outside online obituary site where one of past members was being eulogized, is more active than ever. The lady who mischaracterized me left shortly after I did, which was a total surprise and hope she returns at some point. I lurk in occasionally just to see what they're up to and want them to enjoy themselves more than anything else.

I do think discussion boards are more interesting when there is female participation often adding perspectives on the issues guys don't have, usually things related to the human factor. How people are affected by the issues as opposed to mostly theories and formulas. Plus, most of the time debates with females tend to be more friendly and less hostile has been my experience.

I haven't seen too many female posters on here anyway. Besides, I'm not a feminist but I don't think a man's or a woman's opinion should be considered more valid based solely on gender. Especially on an internet venue.

However, we are obviously made different from each other so there must be SOME things one group can do better than the other. For example, men tend to be more objective in their thinking therefore can be more logical in certain situation. Women on the other hand can be more subjective and more driven by emotion (which isn't always a bad thing.) Therefore, based on these differences, I come to the conclusion that there are important aspects both sides can bring to a discussion and both sides are equally necessary to come to a valid conclusion.

I apologize if I offended anyone by my over-generalization. That was the opposite of my intention. :)

Last edited:
I haven't too many female posters on here anyway. Besides, I'm not a feminist but I don't think a man's or a woman's opinion should be considered more valid based solely on gender. Especially on an internet venue.

However, we are obviously made different from each other so there must be SOME things one group can do better than the other. For example, men tend to be more objective in their thinking therefore can be more logical in certain situation. Women on the other hand can be more subjective and more driven by emotion (which isn't always a bad thing.) Therefore, based on these differences, I come to the conclusion that there are important aspects both sides can bring to a discussion and both sides are equally necessary to come to a valid conclusion.

I apologize if I offended anyone by my over-generalization. That was the opposite of my intention. :)
:popcorn2:

I guess the answer is yes. Other things given equal, I am more polite to a lady, in the middle of some heated disagreement, than I would be to a dude. It's like holding the door or offering your seat on a bus - just good manners.

Another thing: in my native languages ( I am a Pole who grew up in Russia), all nouns have gender. You don't say some things to a woman not because you are such a gentleman, but because it is linguistically impossible.

Like in Spanish: carbon is a strong swearing word (or an exclusive buddy-word, not unlike our n----r), but cabra is a nanny goat, and nothing else. Likewise, in Russian kozyol (male goat) is offensive: Billy goats were used to lead herds of sheep to slaughterhouses. Natural "charismatic politicians" (Judas goat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Considering how "interesting" the Russian history was in the last century......

A koza (female goat), on the other hand, is just a cute domesticated mammal that makes the Greek Salad possible. The word is even used, sometimes, as a term of endearment, in an amorous-couple situation.

Definitely yes. I don't like women being abused even verbally, I see nothing good coming from trashing talking at or about (or even around) a woman, and in general just don't feel comfortable with it. I also tend to see men who do as basically losers who rage at and about women because the are unsuccessful and rejected by women, and/or are all self pity/angry over some woman who dumped him.e

However, I don't go very far with the *&(^#&(! messages towards males either in part because it just seems juvenile and cowardly (hiding behind a fake ID and computer then talking tough) and because it is my nature to believe there are such things as fighting words as confrontational as insulting words often prefaced fights and other physical conflicts and issues in the past.

I haven't too many female posters on here anyway. Besides, I'm not a feminist but I don't think a man's or a woman's opinion should be considered more valid based solely on gender. Especially on an internet venue.

You mean: society encouraged men to think of themselves as being more logical, and society encourages women to think of themselves as more emotional.

It's actually limited to a few societies, it's not an innate truth.

You mean: society encouraged men to think of themselves as being more logical, and society encourages women to think of themselves as more emotional.

It's actually limited to a few societies, it's not an innate truth.

Of course, with practically everything, there are exceptions. :) From my experience, I tend to know more males who are on the logical side then the emotional (It would be nice to find a guy who was though!). I also seem to know more emotional woman than purely logical ones. Therefore, my (very stereotypical) conclusion.

No. It just doesn't occur to me to do so.

When I respond to a poster, I'm addressing their mind, not their genitals.

I'm offended, and disappointed. :lol:

Of course, with practically everything, there are exceptions. :) From my experience, I tend to know more males who are on the logical side then the emotional (It would be nice to find a guy who was though!). I also seem to know more emotional woman than purely logical ones. Therefore, my (very stereotypical) conclusion.

If we're calling on life experiences then from my experience men pretend they don't feel, but they really do, and bottle it all up, shake it for years, until it explodes - usually bringing everyone around them down. Men are more prone to channel their emotions into physical activity and violence because that is the social outlet they're given and encouraged to follow.

Logic? No - that is something you acquire over time with great effort. It's a form of reasoning. Men and women are equally capable and able to reason logically - only men are seen to be emotionless and logical, and women are seen to be emotional and logical (people also call it wise or insightful).

Now, WHAT they are being logical about is strongly affected by their lifestyle (employed vs stay at home mother - for example)

Last edited:
No. It just doesn't occur to me to do so.

When I respond to a poster, I'm addressing their mind, not their genitals.

So am I, but there are points that do not need to be made when one woman addresses another. There is a short hand that takes place in the exchange.

Also, some things men say, just don't need to receive a response, whereas when a woman says something contextually similar, I will reply.

To the OP: I voted yes, but, it's more correct to say that sometimes it depends on the topic.

If we're calling on life experiences then from my experience men pretend they don't feel, but they really do, and bottle it all up, shake it for years, until it explodes - usually bringing everyone around them down. Men are more prone to channel their emotions into physical activity and violence because that is the social outlet they're given and encouraged to follow.

Logic? No - that is something you acquire over time with great effort. It's a form of reasoning. Men and women are equally capable and able to reason logically - only men are seen to be emotionless and logical, and women are seen to be emotional and logical (people also call it wise or insightful).

Now, WHAT they are being logical about is strongly affected by their lifestyle (employed vs stay at home mother - for example)

All really good points! I agree that men do bottle it up inside more and women definitely like to lay it out, vocally that is. ;)

All really good points! I agree that men do bottle it up inside more and women definitely like to lay it out, vocally that is. ;)

Dang- I didn't realize there is a man living inside me. :lol:

If you spend any time on this forum, you will realize that its not women who are emotionally driven, its every damn human being on this planet. Our debates pretty much always include illogical rationalizations regardless of the gender of the participants.

Dang- I didn't realize there is a man living inside me. :lol:

Heh - My husband's as femme as it gets, apparently - you should be here for his mood swings. They're quite impressive. heh (and then I got to hell for making fun of him)

Society responds this way:
Woman has extreme mood swings and is angry often = she's just an emotional woman . . . she's just letting it out.
Man has extreme mood swings and is angry often = he's holed up in a psych facility. . .because he's more likely to suddenly act on it.

While I do notice some posters are female, based on their user ID or their avatar, it's never an issue for me in responding to someone's post or engaging in discussion/debate. I don't come to DP looking for dates, so your gender doesn't attact or distract me in any way. I simply react to the content of an OP or post, nothing more.

I'm surprised a female, who prides herself in being female and considers herself better than men, would initiate such a thread - makes you appear needy for victims or victimhood.

While I do notice some posters are female, based on their user ID or their avatar, it's never an issue for me in responding to someone's post or engaging in discussion/debate. I don't come to DP looking for dates, so your gender doesn't attact or distract me in any way. I simply react to the content of an OP or post, nothing more.

I'm surprised a female, who prides herself in being female and considers herself better than men, would initiate such a thread - makes you appear needy for victims or victimhood.

I don't agree. I think she's concerned about being treated any differently.

I also think females are better than males in specific respects but not more intelligent necessarily or more qualified to lead, etc.

Back
Top Bottom