• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do your responses change based on the sex/gender of the poster?

Do you respond differently to posters based on their sex/gender?

• Total voters

Monserrat

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This is something I've been wondering about for a long time and I want honest answers from you DP'ers so don't lie to me.
When I first joined DP I didn't make my sex/gender clear immediately because I didn't want to be judged based on whether I was a male or female. It didn't last long because as I've mentioned in the past I'm a little bit sexist, I love being female (sex/gender) and I think it would suck to be a guy so not declaring that I'm female was too much for me.

The poll question I have for you is:

Do you respond differently if you know whether the person you're responding to is a guy or a girl?

For an extended discussion list the reasons why?

This is something I've been wondering about for a long time and I want honest answers from you DP'ers so don't lie to me.
When I first joined DP I didn't make my sex/gender clear immediately because I didn't want to be judged based on whether I was a male or female. It didn't last long because as I've mentioned in the past I'm a little bit sexist, I love being female (sex/gender) and I think it would suck to be a guy so not declaring that I'm female was too much for me.

Do you respond differently if you know whether the person you're responding to is a guy or a girl?

No. It just doesn't occur to me to do so.

When I respond to a poster, I'm addressing their mind, not their genitals.

Admittedly, yes. Not when it comes to the substance of any argument or anything but there are things I'll say to dudes that I mostly won't say to women (mainly things like name-calling). It's just how I was raised. Am I being sexist?

No. It just doesn't occur to me to do so.

When I respond to a poster, I'm addressing their mind, not their genitals.

Gender isn't about genitals though, just societal norms on how those viewed as male and female are supposed to act. You wouldn't change a response to some general issue based on whether one was male or female?

I don't think I do. At least not consciously. I do have a tendency to expect other women to debate issues in an intelligent, informed manner, without getting needlessly emotional and, when they don't, I get really annoyed. I immediately think that one woman's inept debating style will reflect on the rest of us. Which is really stupid, I know. lol I can't help it, though. I really do tend to expect more from other women posters than from the men. Fortunately, most of the gals here are super smart so it's all good. :)

Gender isn't about genitals though, just societal norms on how those viewed as male and female are supposed to act. You wouldn't change a response to some general issue based on whether one was male or female?

You post wasn't about gender alone. Sex is, largely, about genitals and secondary sex characteristics.

But if we're looking at it from the gender side, you get the same answer, except replace "genitals" with "mannerisms."

A person's brain power is independent of whether they prefer dresses or pants. Again, I'm addressing their intellect.

I don't think I do. At least not consciously. I do have a tendency to expect other women to debate issues in an intelligent, informed manner, without getting needlessly emotional and, when they don't, I get really annoyed. I immediately think that one woman's inept debating style will reflect on the rest of us. Which is really stupid, I know. lol I can't help it, though. I really do tend to expect more from other women posters than from the men. Fortunately, most of the gals here are super smart so it's all good. :)

I see men do that here pretty much just as often as I do women. I think DP may be the ultimate study disproving the "women are uniquely emotionally impulsive" myth.

Admittedly, yes. Not when it comes to the substance of any argument or anything but there are things I'll say to dudes that I mostly won't say to women (mainly things like name-calling). It's just how I was raised. Am I being sexist?

Possibly? If the rules regarding interaction between men and women being different make society sexist then definitely yes.

I think understanding that there are differences besides the obvious physical differences is a good thing. I feel like the pc thing to do these days is to try to pretend that we're the same, when we're not. I don't really get why it's so important to try to make men and women the same.

Possibly? If the rules regarding interaction between men and women being different make society sexist then definitely yes.

I think understanding that there are differences besides the obvious physical differences is a good thing. I feel like the pc thing to do these days is to try to pretend that we're the same, when we're not. I don't really get why it's so important to try to make men and women the same.

It is interesting, isn't it, that on one hand, we're supposed to support and applaud diversity (and I really do), but when it comes to the sexes, the politically correct thing to do is deny any differences.

It is interesting, isn't it, that on one hand, we're supposed to support and applaud diversity (and I really do), but when it comes to the sexes, the politically correct thing to do is deny any differences.

I'm just glad that I wasn't an adult in the workplace in the 80's where women wore those hideous shoulder pads in the workplace to try to square out there shoulders like a man. It was awful. My mother use to try to make me wear them when I was young, I hated it.

I know women nowadays who cut their hair short because they think it's more businesslike aka they're still trying to look like a man in order to be taken seriously. I refuse to. I like my hair long and people will take me seriously because 1. I'm usually smarter then they are and 2. I'm perfectly okay with annoying the hell out of them until they do (aka being persistent) :cool:

Of course but it depends on how much I know the person also. At first I address the mind but the gender is in the mind also. Things are perceived and thought of differently. Then I switch to gender specific responses.

But this is not always. When I know I am right and they are wrong I do tend to respond to a woman as if she was a man. This is rarely though.

In real life I probably do, but online I don't think I respond to women and men differently. At least I haven't caught myself doing it.

Exactly. I sometimes name female users here like "You go girl!" Tell that to one of us here in a serious non joking manner and the one calling such names would probably be reported to mods for trolling.

I flirt with fewer men than women, so I guess I'd have to say yes.

In a political discussion I try my best to ignore the sex in a political discussion. In a social one I revert back to my upbringing, though I have rip into females from time to time.

An ass is an ass, now matter what's up in front. :peace

When I respond to a post I rarely look at the sidebar where it lists peoples gender. The times that I do is normally when I want to respond to a post talking about another poster and I want to make sure that I am not call a woman/guy a guy/woman. Which usually involves me having to go and look up the poster in question past posts just to see their gender. Its more of a courtesy thing for me when I do that. Otherwise it makes no difference on how I post.

No - at least I don't think so.

I suspect men are more likely to factor in the person's gender, but not always. It is probably more likely that some of the ones who are my age or close to it are more likely to speak more civilly to women because of the way they were brought up.

it may be true of some younger ones too, but probably less so.

I'm not sure and if so it wouldn't be intentional. I tend to like men and get along better with them more than women, or at least in most cases. I'm also single and heterosexual, so I like to flirt with the guys sometimes. :mrgreen:

I've seen a difference between responses depending on the gender of the parties involved, on both sides of the gender fence.

I prefer my post to be read for themselves, regardless of my gender, and responded to in the same manner.

Though many on here know my gender by now, I don't usually clarify it by putting in my profile.

In a political discussion I try my best to ignore the sex in a political discussion. In a social one I revert back to my upbringing, though I have rip into females from time to time.

An ass is an ass, now matter what's up in front. :peace
-

An ass is an ass, now matter what's up in front -- this is almost profound, but I'm not sure yet ... let me think about it some more ...

I'm just glad that I wasn't an adult in the workplace in the 80's where women wore those hideous shoulder pads in the workplace to try to square out there shoulders like a man. It was awful. My mother use to try to make me wear them when I was young, I hated it.

I know women nowadays who cut their hair short because they think it's more businesslike aka they're still trying to look like a man in order to be taken seriously. I refuse to. I like my hair long and people will take me seriously because 1. I'm usually smarter then they are and 2. I'm perfectly okay with annoying the hell out of them until they do (aka being persistent) :cool:

Or maybe they just like short hair?

I go back and forth. My hair was pretty short for a couple years. About a year ago, I decided I missed it long, so now I'm growing it back out.

A woman doing something that is typically "male" in the West does not mean she wishes to act like a man. Maybe she just... likes it.

Do you think all the hair bands from the 80's were trying to look like women? Or is that somehow different?

I think I tend to respond to other posters based more on my perception of their intelligence level, than their gender identity, but I could be wrong. I think that responses based on sex are more pervasive and subconscious than many of us realize at an intellectual level.

I think I tend to respond to other posters based more on my perception of their intelligence level, than their gender identity, but I could be wrong. I think that responses based on sex are more pervasive and subconscious than many of us realize at an intellectual level.

That's a great point. Don't get me wrong, I don't think gender is the only thing that would make me respond in a different way to different people, but I can't deny that it could definitely be a factor.

YES. Women get either less or more reaction from me based on their political lean. I will be much less impolite to a conservative woman while a Liberal one will get much MORE unpleasantness from me than a guy making the same argument would.

Back
Top Bottom