• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do your responses change based on the sex/gender of the poster?

Do you respond differently to posters based on their sex/gender?

• Total voters
That's a great point. Don't get me wrong, I don't think gender is the only thing that would make me respond in a different way to different people, but I can't deny that it could definitely be a factor.

I think so too. I've noticed that since I lost my husband, being in the presence of certain men stirs a response in me that isn't necessarily sexual overtly, but is comforting at a level that I have trouble describing intellectually. It's one of those things that seems to be ingrained at a very basic level, and seems to have something to do with sensing something that I lack at the emotional level. It's hard to describe.

The poll question I have for you is:

Do you respond differently if you know whether the person you're responding to is a guy or a girl?

For an extended discussion list the reasons why?
Not for subjects where gender isn't an obvious factor in the discussion. For example, if we're talking about nuclear weapons or taxes, I don't pay attention to it. However, if it's topic on some sort of women's issue or sexism, I might consider the gender of the poster.

I think I tend to respond to other posters based more on my perception of their intelligence levell.

I add another dimension to that one, myself -- whether or not they are capable of original thought. There are plenty of posters who are reasonably intelligent after a fashion, yet their politics are very formulaic and doctrinaire. They may have enough intelligence to memorize and repeat information, perform complex calculations or otherwise function at a high level intelligence-wise, but what they lack is that spark of originality that allows them to think outside the box.

In my world, intelligent and conformist is hardly any better than unintelligent and conformist. Give me intelligent and original any day.

On another note, I have noticed that a lot of men on DP tend to treat women more "delicately" than they do men. The same men are usually more willing to ignore traits that they would criticize in men when they see women. While I think such different treatment is usually coming from a well-intentioned place, I would still consider it a problem as it is usually rooted in seeing differences between men and women that aren't real.

Also, several people have an issue with the fact that I (and some other posters) don't reveal our gender. That demonstrates that gender is a factor in people's evaluation of posts.

Yes (if I happened to notice their sex before I answer - which is not common).

If it's a woman, I assume they have slightly (emphasis on the word 'slightly') more common sense/less of a combative stance then a man, so I will take a slightly less defensive and slightly more matter-of-fact approach.

If the woman starts acting/talking like a semi-idiot - then the above goes out the window.

Last edited:
YES. Women get either less or more reaction from me based on their political lean. I will be much less impolite to a conservative woman while a Liberal one will get much MORE unpleasantness from me than a guy making the same argument would.

It is so nice to know that you occasionally rein in your extreme hatred of women for those who don't mind it too much that you do.

I add another dimension to that one, myself -- whether or not they are capable of original thought. There are plenty of posters who are reasonably intelligent after a fashion, yet their politics are very formulaic and doctrinaire. They may have enough intelligence to memorize and repeat information, perform complex calculations or otherwise function at a high level intelligence-wise, but what they lack is that spark of originality that allows them to think outside the box.

In my world, intelligent and conformist is hardly any better than unintelligent and conformist. Give me intelligent and original any day.

Yeah, it may be that my definition of intelligence is different from that of the majority. To me, intelligence requires a certain level of creativity, and expression in unconventional thought. You and I probably agree on the concept.

I think I tend to respond to other posters based more on my perception of their intelligence level, than their gender identity, but I could be wrong. I think that responses based on sex are more pervasive and subconscious than many of us realize at an intellectual level.

Personally, I don't care much how smart they seem - I care how they treat others.

If they treat others badly, I will often dive in and try to let them have it.

If they treat others well - I will treat them well.

Personally, I don't care much how smart they seem - I care how they treat others.

I don't CARE how intelligent they seem. I respond differently to someone who expresses themselves well, and thoughtfully, as opposed to someone who seems to have automatic knee-jerk responses to various subjects. That was my point.

Yeah, it may be that my definition of intelligence is different from that of the majority. To me, intelligence requires a certain level of creativity, and expression in unconventional thought. You and I probably agree on the concept.

:lol: I thought I heard ya thinking bout me again Liz.
yo2.gif
:2razz:

You don't worry about the reason for the response, only the response itself?

Take a poster who brags about liking to beat up women, for instance. If people get in his face because of it, are they the ones who are really behaving badly?

On another note, I have noticed that a lot of men on DP tend to treat women more "delicately" than they do men.

Oh sweetie, do you really think so? That just seems like so silly :) I treat all people with the love and respect they deserve! :tink:

I add another dimension to that one, myself -- whether or not they are capable of original thought.

No way, that's ****ing bull****. That's the most unbelievable crap I've ever heard.

It is so nice to know that you occasionally rein in your extreme hatred of women for those who don't mind it too much that you do.

It's not a hatred of women... It's a hatred of anyone who dies not know and accept their place in the world.

It's not a hatred of women... It's a hatred of anyone who dies not know and accept their place in the world.

The problem with your comment is: "Know and accept their place in the world."

Who defines the meaning of "their place in the world"?

The sole decider of the place of the other 7 billion people on earth being you, of course? :lol:

Well, that just makes everything okay, doesn't it?

It's a hatred of anyone who dies not know and accept their place in the world.

Ah -- self-hatred, then.

Thanks for the clarification.

No way, that's ****ing bull****. That's the most unbelievable crap I've ever heard.

Ah. So, you have never been to the conspiracy theory forum, I see.

Ah. So, you have never been to the conspiracy theory forum, I see.

That was actually supposed to be a joke. TPD said how some posters treat women more delicately than other male posters, to which I replied with

"Oh sweetie, do you really think so? That just seems like so silly I treat all people with the love and respect they deserve!"

And then I replied to you as such "No way, that's ****ing bull****. That's the most unbelievable crap I've ever heard."

The problem with your comment is: "Know and accept their place in the world."

Who defines the meaning of "their place in the world"?

Why Tigger does of course.

That was actually supposed to be a joke. TPD said how some posters treat women more delicately than other male posters, to which I replied with

"Oh sweetie, do you really think so? That just seems like so silly I treat all people with the love and respect they deserve!"

And then I replied to you as such "No way, that's ****ing bull****. That's the most unbelievable crap I've ever heard."

If ya have to explain it...

You don't worry about the reason for the response, only the response itself?

Take a poster who brags about liking to beat up women, for instance. If people get in his face because of it, are they the ones who are really behaving badly?

I was referring to how they treat others - not what they say...that is separate.

If ya have to explain it...

The point is I tried, okay?

And for the record, SmokeandMirrors liked it and TPD said "Hahaha"

So yeah. Score 2 for the Red Baron.

Back
Top Bottom