• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do your own research

Masterhawk

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This is what conspiracy theorists often say. When pressed on something, they will often suggest that critics should do their own research. The idea seems to be that everyone should be educated on a given subject before voicing opinions which seems reasonable enough.

The problem with this phrase (also known as homework fallacy) is that it shifts the burden of proof. Except instead of asking the refuter to prove you wrong, you're asking them to prove you right. The burden of proof exists for a reason and it falls on the person making the claim. Otherwise, we'd have to believe in ghosts because we can't prove that they're false. Another problem is that it basically asks the refuter to spend hours reading scientific journals. Without expertise, the person researching may come to flawed conclusions.

You could just listen to the scientific consensus whenever there's doubt. But of course, they're part of the NWO conspiracy.

There is a place for this though. If the claimant has already provided evidence and the refuter refuses to look at it, the latter should really do some research.

Pro Tip: If you see a post online telling you to "do your own research" that is the surest sign you are about to read some ****ed up dipshit conspiracy theories. Real researchers who actually know what they're doing would never tell you to "do your own research." Real researchers know that research is hard, it's boring, it's tedious and they know that the average American doesn't have the patience to do it properly. Real research is the type of stuff that only the nerdiest of nerds actually enjoy doing and they would never recommend that you do it on your own because they know you'll screw it up.
When you hear someone say "Do your own research" you should hear it as if the person said, "Do your own surgery," or "write your own Will," or "rebuild your own transmission." No legitimate professional would ever recommend you try that. They understand how much time, effort, and work they had to do in order to get good at what they do, and they know your dumbass is going to **** it up if you try.
You know who tells you to "do your own research?" A Magician. They want an average person from the crowd to inspect their deck of cards before the trick because they know damn well you don't have the knowledge necessary to figure out how they marked it. A magician doesn't want you to have another magician inspect his deck and tell you whether it's normal. He wants an average person who knows nothing about magic to do it. The magician knows he can fool you, but another Magician will see right through it.
That's the type of person who tells you to "Do your own research." Someone whose trying to pull the wool over your eyes and knows your gullible enough to fall for it.

I disagree...sometimes doing your own research is the only thing that will convince you, if something is true or not...

I disagree...sometimes doing your own research is the only thing that will convince you, if something is true or not...
No, it's the only thing that will convince a crazy person who believes the whole world is out to get them, and in that case, the deluded person's research will almost certainly take them even further down the rabbit hole of delusion.

No, it's the only thing that will convince a crazy person who believes the whole world is out to get them, and in that case, the deluded person's research will almost certainly take them even further down the rabbit hole of delusion.
No, you've got it backwards...you are speaking of those who are gullible enough to take other people's word for truth, that is exactly how conspiracy theories take hold, instead of people searching and researching for themselves what is true and what is a lie...

Unfortunately doing your own research often means googling it. I use Duckduckgo now half the time but still the google monster beckons.

No, you've got it backwards...you are speaking of those who are gullible enough to take other people's word for truth, that is exactly how conspiracy theories take hold, instead of people searching and researching for themselves what is true and what is a lie...
Nope. When you have multiple legitimate news sources reporting the exact same thing, and the overwhelming number of experts in the field saying the same thing you go with what they are saying unless you yourself are an expert in that field. You don't go digging through the bowels of the internet for some unverifiable junk website to tell you what you want to hear.

Nope. When you have multiple legitimate news sources reporting the exact same thing, and the overwhelming number of experts in the field saying the same thing you go with what they are saying unless you yourself are an expert in that field. You don't go digging through the bowels of the internet for some unverifiable junk website to tell you what you want to hear.
So, you are saying truth does not exist...got it...

Unfortunately doing your own research often means googling it. I use Duckduckgo now half the time but still the google monster beckons.
If they can't even name their company after the correct version of the game why the hell would we trust them with accurate search results? It's Duck Duck Grey Duck, not Duck Duck Goose.

So, you are saying truth does not exist...got it...
Nope. I'm saying the likelihood of a conspiracy succeeding decreases exponentially with respect to each person that would be required to lie in order to maintain it. If you're operating under the assumption that the overwhelming majority of the national news media can't be trusted, but some random idiot on YouTube can then you belong in a straight jacket. If you don't Trust the C.D.C. or the nations leading expert on infectious diseases Dr. Anthony Fauci, but you do trust some crackpot woman claiming vaccines gave her kids autism then you are a lunatic.

Nope. I'm saying the likelihood of a conspiracy succeeding decreases exponentially with respect to each person that would be required to lie in order to maintain it. If you're operating under the assumption that the overwhelming majority of the national news media can't be trusted, but some random idiot on YouTube can then you belong in a straight jacket. If you don't Trust the C.D.C. or the nations leading expert on infectious diseases Dr. Anthony Fauci, but you do trust some crackpot woman claiming vaccines gave her kids autism then you are a lunatic.
My, that's a whole lotta projection goin' on there...don't know who you're angry with but I said none of that...

This is what conspiracy theorists often say. When pressed on something, they will often suggest that critics should do their own research. The idea seems to be that everyone should be educated on a given subject before voicing opinions which seems reasonable enough.

The problem with this phrase (also known as homework fallacy) is that it shifts the burden of proof. Except instead of asking the refuter to prove you wrong, you're asking them to prove you right. The burden of proof exists for a reason and it falls on the person making the claim. Otherwise, we'd have to believe in ghosts because we can't prove that they're false. Another problem is that it basically asks the refuter to spend hours reading scientific journals. Without expertise, the person researching may come to flawed conclusions.

You could just listen to the scientific consensus whenever there's doubt. But of course, they're part of the NWO conspiracy.

There is a place for this though. If the claimant has already provided evidence and the refuter refuses to look at it, the latter should really do some research.

Yeah that stupidty never works, all it means if they cant support the bullshit they got caught posting LOL

The OP is about people who can't support their claims though, its not about NOT doing research LOL

its about this:

Nutter: A, B and C is factually true
Normal People" interesting can you prove that to do you have a link
Nutter: OMG do your own research Im not going to spoon-feed you

then normal people know this person is a quack lol

The OP is about people who can't support their claims though, its not about NOT doing research LOL

its about this:

Nutter: A, B and C is factually true
Normal People" interesting can you prove that to do you have a link
Nutter: OMG do your own research Im not going to spoon-feed you

then normal people know this person is a quack lol
Well, they do make a point...people are lazy...and gullible...if i wanna know something, I go looking and digging for myself...I don't ask or take the word of some anonymous on a website...

Well, they do make a point...people are lazy...and gullible...if i wanna know something, I go looking and digging for myself...I don't ask or take the word of some anonymous on a website...
No they dont make a point. LMAO
Because If you are one a debate site or message board claiming things are facts its YOUR job to back them up LOL You back them up would be YOU providing actual proof because the people you are talking to are in fact NOT taking your anonymous word for it. This isn't rocket science.

No they dont make a point. LMAO
Because If you are one a debate site or message board claiming things are facts its YOUR job to back them up LOL You back them up would be YOU providing actual proof because the people you are talking to are in fact NOT taking your anonymous word for it. This isn't rocket science.
That is your opinion...

Wanting to argue...I do not...
What argument? I asked you what you are calling an opinion and to be specific. lol

Nobody does their research 100% on their own, nobody. Thats why we dont have to reinvent the wheel every generation.

Back
Top Bottom