• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do your kids know what a mall is?

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Yeah - like a shopping mall?

Apparently I'm a wretched mother, I've never taken my kids to a mall. I avoid them like the plague - my oldest son doesn't even know what a 'mall' is.

:confused:

I never go to the mall in my town as it can literally fit inside the Walmart and the Walmart has all the stuff that the mall has anyway, usually for less $

You and me both, Aunt Spiker. I can't stand the things. For one thing, they're inconvenient. For another, they've turned shopping into a recreational sport. When I can't avoid them because I really want to buy something at one of the stores, I'll call the store and ask them where I should park to get closest to them. In the door -- out the door. That's my idea of shopping at the mall.

You and me both, Aunt Spiker. I can't stand the things. For one thing, they're inconvenient. For another, they've turned shopping into a recreational sport. When I can't avoid them because I really want to buy something at one of the stores, I'll call the store and ask them where I should park to get closest to them. In the door -- out the door. That's my idea of shopping at the mall.

I like the mall when I'm actually looking for something in particular. If I don't need anything and my fiancé asks me if I want to go to the mall to shop around my next question is always "what do you need" and if it's just for shopping around purposes she usually goes with a friend cause she knows how annoying I am if I'm bored and forced to walk around a mall.

If I can get something cheaper elsewhere though that's where I go, but for clothes and stuff it's easier to go to the mall where they literally have the selection of 4 giant stores and 15 or so smaller outlets all in one building cause chances are you'll find what you need.

@ Roughdraft -- I'm just not a shopper. I buy my clothes, mostly, through mail order when I can. Or, I've found one store in particular whose fashions I like, and I stick with them. They're in a mall, but have a separate entrance. That puts me in heaven! Ha!

@ Roughdraft -- I'm just not a shopper. I buy my clothes, mostly, through mail order when I can. Or, I've found one store in particular whose fashions I like, and I stick with them. They're in a mall, but have a separate entrance. That puts me in heaven! Ha!

I'm not a shopper either, but when I need something clothing wise I don't mind looking around for something that I'll like and when I'm in need of something. I don't go shopping for blue jeans until I'm down to a pair or two and all the others are too ratty to wear in public, lol.

I didn't even know people still order stuff through mail order, lol.

I'm not a shopper either, but when I need something clothing wise I don't mind looking around for something that I'll like and when I'm in need of something. I don't go shopping for blue jeans until I'm down to a pair or two and all the others are too ratty to wear in public, lol.

I didn't even know people still order stuff through mail order, lol.

i do quite a bit of online shopping...it's great at christmas.

i do quite a bit of online shopping...it's great at christmas.

I think the only thing I have never purchased online is clothes.

Do people really not even try on clothes anymore before buying them? That's really the only thing that gets me.

I love shopping online for clothes -- usually Coldwater Creek, Eddie Bauer, TravelSmith, Blair. They send you the packaging to return it when they ship the order. Lots of times I bracket sizes. Lots of the catalog suppliers pay return postage, too, so there's really nothing to lose.

I think the only thing I have never purchased online is clothes.

Do people really not even try on clothes anymore before buying them? That's really the only thing that gets me.

I tend to get my shirts online, but thats because there is only one big and tall store in town and the prices are terrible. I am a tall, wide shouldered guy though and while a standard xl shirt can fit around my body, it is never long enough.

I tend to get my shirts online, but thats because there is only one big and tall store in town and the prices are terrible. I am a tall, wide shouldered guy though and while a standard xl shirt can fit around my body, it is never long enough.

I feel your pain, I wear a large but after washing and shrinking a tiny bit they're usually a little too short for my taste. The longs though are usually way too long so I just deal with it when need be, lol.

For another, they've turned shopping into a recreational sport.

:shock: Shopping is a recreational sport! You're a sprinter. I do the triathalon. :mrgreen:

Sure my son knows what a mall is. That doesn't mean I like to shop in one. Some things are just unavoidable, though. For instance, I like The Children's Place for skinny boy clothes, and I need to see them before buying them. There's an escalator near that store, so he rides on that for a while, and then he gets a Mrs Fields cookie. I like to swing by Lands' End before we leave. It's over in an hour. No harm done.

****ing hate malls. But then again, I ****ing hate shopping. LOL

My town contains one of the top ten biggest shopping malls in the country, so yeah, everyone here knows what a mall is.

I still remember a pretty funny moment in 7th grade where our history teacher kept talking about "the mall". She was talking about the one in D.C. with the Smithsonian, but nobody (including me) knew that. She asked who had been to "the mall" at one point, and we all sort of looked at each other confusedly, and someone asked "Tyson's Corner?" (this being the large shopping mall). The teacher tried to explain what the mall in D.C. was, but none of us had yet grasped the concept of a "mall" that was not a shopping mall.

Apparently I'm a wretched mother, I've never taken my kids to a mall. I avoid them like the plague - my oldest son doesn't even know what a 'mall' is.

We haven't been to an actual mall in several years.

I hate them. For one thing, almost all of them are owned by one of these huge corporate monsters, and any problems you have there will be covered up, not addressed. Most are posted against concealed carry, yet there is a lot of crime in mall parking lots most of which goes under-reported.

Most of the stuff you find there is overpriced junk. Items as good or better can be had cheaper elsewhere.

And the CROWDS...oh my gosh how I hate the crowds. The rude, pushy, obnoxious crowds.

And the fracking mall ninjas, also known as minimum-wage unarmed security guards who think they're a SWAT team. I alternate between wanting to laugh at them and wanting to beat the crap out of three or four at random. Useless ****s.

No, I don't like malls. :mrgreen:

Glad to hear so many avoid them like I do - and for all the same reasons!
For a while I was feeling rather crappy - I mean, malls are a common thing, they're everywhere - and my kids didn't know what they were.

I only go to the Mall for the food court and the movie theater. Most of the clothes I can find at the Mall aren't my style, and the few that are don't come in my sizes. I have to do most of my clothes shopping online or at specialty stores, though I can buy casual clothing at Target.

Both of my kids liked to hang out at the mall when they were in their pre-teens to mid-teens.
I guess they considered it a cool place to meet chicks.
In the summers, they'd sometimes hang out there all day. They'd eat at the food court and sometimes buy stuff at Hot Topic and Spencers. There's a movie theater in the mall, too.
God knows what else they did. Looked at music and video games, I guess.
I used to hang out there too when I was a kid, but back then there were video arcades.
They don't have those anymore.
It seems to me like the mall would be a boring place for teenagers these days, but apparently not.

What the hell people.

It's a mall. You buy things there. If you're more adveturous, you can eat or watch a movie there.
Since when are we supposed to have strong opinions about a generic term for a place we go to do unspecified stuff?
Do people have strong opinions about grass fields? Hmm....

I never go to the mall in my town as it can literally fit inside the Walmart and the Walmart has all the stuff that the mall has anyway, usually for less $

Your town must really be small if it can fit inside a Walmart.

Malls are the churches of modern society.

I don't have kids but I thought I'd add my two cents :)

Yep, that's where Santa and the Easter bunny live.
That's really about it, as I rarely go shopping.
It's a tiny mall anyway.

Every once in a while we may swing by the food court but that's not often.

Back
Top Bottom