• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you wonder why Mueller's team went after the Buzzfeed story?

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Many are speculating why after being silent on many of the articles written about their investigation the Mueller team went after the Buzzfeed article. I have two theories. the first is that the article is totally wrong and the Mueller team does not want his article to lead to impeachment begun now when it will create an even greater split in the country and lead to nothing. The Mueller team may have found evidence of the trump people colluding with the Russian's but no direct evidence of trump being involved. This is very likely as a for Trump a hands off approach is a smart one when getting involved with a foreign country and our elections. Keep a distance between yourself and those doing the dirty work. The other theory is that the Mueller team does have the evidence of direct Trump involvement and does not want to scare off its witnesses and alert the trump team. This is just as likely as my first theory. It would mean that the Mueller team wants to surprise Trump and his lawyers with all of the evidence they have before the Trump team can start to use the media to make it all seem like "fake news". In either theory, Mueller and his team would try and diminish the Buzzfeed article without saying t was totally wrong. That is what the weird wording might suggest.

Many are speculating why after being silent on many of the articles written about their investigation the Mueller team went after the Buzzfeed article. I have two theories. the first is that the article is totally wrong and the Mueller team does not want his article to lead to impeachment begun now when it will create an even greater split in the country and lead to nothing. The Mueller team may have found evidence of the trump people colluding with the Russian's but no direct evidence of trump being involved. This is very likely as a for Trump a hands off approach is a smart one when getting involved with a foreign country and our elections. Keep a distance between yourself and those doing the dirty work. The other theory is that the Mueller team does have the evidence of direct Trump involvement and does not want to scare off its witnesses and alert the trump team. This is just as likely as my first theory. It would mean that the Mueller team wants to surprise Trump and his lawyers with all of the evidence they have before the Trump team can start to use the media to make it all seem like "fake news". In either theory, Mueller and his team would try and diminish the Buzzfeed article without saying t was totally wrong. That is what the weird wording might suggest.

Or perhaps they wrote in legalize because they are lawyers?!

My theory is that Mueller saved the democrats from making themselves even bigger asses than they already are.

Of course most of us wonder. But we won't know the answer any time soon.

Your first theory - that Trump himself did not collude with Russia - has already been proven to be untrue as it was Trump himself who publicly invited the Russians to help him in his campaign. Collusion has been well established.

The leak came from SDNY to Buzzfeed. SDNY has all of the evidence since they’re the ones who performed the search warrant on Cohen.

Your second theory was my initial reaction. Buzzfeed finally buzzed a little too close to the truth on that one and Mueller needed to swat them.

I suspect they shot down the story because it was so incendiary and so blatantly false.

Other than Trump's obvious public mistakes, I've often wondered if he's the kind of boss that says "go break the law" or the kind of boss that says "just get it done, I don't care how you do it".

Other than Trump's obvious public mistakes, I've often wondered if he's the kind of boss that says "go break the law" or the kind of boss that says "just get it done, I don't care how you do it".

Given Trump's proclivity to lie and to never take the blame for anything, coupled with his need for unflinching loyalty from all of his underlings, I would say its the latter.

Officially all I have found was this:
(f) The prosecutor may respond to public statements from any source in order to protect the prosecution’s legitimate official interests, unless there is a substantial likelihood of materially prejudicing a criminal proceeding, in which case the prosecutor should approach defense counsel or a court for relief. A statement made pursuant to this paragraph shall be limited to such information as is necessary to mitigate the recent adverse publicity.
https://www.americanbar.org/groups/criminal_justice/standards/ProsecutionFunctionFourthEdition/

Me too.

I also wonder if he's the kind of boss that rejects modern communications because he's just old-fashioned, or if he refuse to so that he doesn't leave any digital trail.

Last edited:
Me too.

I also wonder if he's the kind of boss that rejects modern communications because he's just old-fashioned, or if he refuse to so that he doesn't leave any digital trail.

Hey certainly has left a Twitter trail. I bet there is a text trail as well.

The leak came from SDNY to Buzzfeed. SDNY has all of the evidence since they’re the ones who performed the search warrant on Cohen.

Your point is valid and should be extended:
A) SDNY leaks like a sieve. It always has leaked like a sieve.
B) The number of people including Investigators and Prosecutors actually read into a case is always greater than your average citizen would expect it to be. That is not to say that those read in should not be read in. It is just to say that the average joe would likely be very surprised how many investigators end up read into a big case.

I think Mueller reacted for two reasons:
1) He wanted to immediately address this nonsense from the Hill suggesting that "Mueller has to finish and report to us now". I will repeat something from a different thread. Mueller is a Special Counsel not an Independent Counsel. His entire means to exist is Indictments and Prosecutions. He does not get to report directly to the Congress as an Independent Counsel would. His report is to the AG and even then if Mueller sticks to the design of said report it would not by nature yield the kinds of things that Congress is looking for. Even at THAT, then the AG gets to decide if he will report anything publicly and he will decide what goes into whatever he might report publicly. So first and foremost, IMO Mueller wanted to shut down this "Mueller must finish now" nonsense from the Hill now coming from some Dems as stupidly as it has come from some Republicans.
2) IMO, Mueller wanted to tamp down any nonsense about Leaks coming from his Investigation and he wanted to do it for his own Investigators that might start looking oddly at each other if they thought one of them or two of them might be leaking and he wanted to establish that for the rest of us as well.

I am disheartened that the two Buzzfeed reporters on the byline have contradicted each other in their initial comments about corroboration. Buzzfeed's boss and one of the reporters on the byline were on this morning and they only sort of answered the question about that contradiction. At least THEY should be treating such a story with the seriousness it deserves and they should have been prepared for the simple fact that the corroboration questions would be the important questions they would face immediately.

They claim this morning to be confident in the story and they claim their story will be born out in time. They are really hung out in space on this one. Again, Mueller's only real function is to Indict and Prosecute. If he is not going to Indict and Prosecute the President while he sits as President it may likely be a long time before if ever that corroboration comes from Mueller and I am inclined to think SDNY is pretty much done as regards this specific aspect of the various cases floating around out there. It might come out during the Indictment and Prosecution process for others that have not been Indicted as yet as they might give up Trump in the same way that Cohen appears to have.

Might it come through Congressional Hearings? Yes, but not likely while Mueller's Indictments are still in process though it might come out after all the Indictments are in and the Prosecutions are in process.

Buzzfeed said this morning that they would not expose their sources but that they had gone back to them and Buzzfeed is reporting that the story is still solid.

Finally, comments that the Mueller statement amounts to a definitive rejection of the Buzzfeed story are sheer nonsense. Go get yourself an English dictionary and a few lessons in English grammar if that is a case anybody wants to make.

Last edited:

I'm not sure where the leak came from, but that seems highly likely. The statement from the Mueller team was very much of the non-denial denial variety. It did not lay out what was specifically wrong with the buzzfeed story, but my best guess is that it is around the reference to a cache of documentation and the implication that the Mueller team was responsible for attaining the documents.

The statement did not gainsay the existence of the documents. It did suggest that Mueller's team was not the source of, or responsible for the government's acquisition of, the documents.

Your point is valid and should be extended:
A) SDNY leaks like a sieve. It always has leaked like a sieve.
B) The number of people including Investigators and Prosecutors actually read into a case is always greater than your average citizen would expect it to be. That is not to say that those read in should not be read in. It is just to say that the average joe would likely be very surprised how many investigators end up read into a big case.

I think Mueller reacted for two reasons:
1) He wanted to immediately address this nonsense from the Hill suggesting that "Mueller has to finish and report to us now". I will repeat something from a different thread. Mueller is a Special Counsel not an Independent Counsel. His entire means to exist is Indictments and Prosecutions. He does not get to report directly to the Congress as an Independent Counsel would. His report is to the AG and even then if Mueller sticks to the design of said report it would not by nature yield the kinds of things that Congress is looking for. Even at THAT, then the AG gets to decide if he will report anything publicly and he will decide what goes into whatever he might report publicly. So first and foremost, IMO Mueller wanted to shut down this "Mueller must finish now" nonsense from the Hill now coming from some Dems as stupidly as it has come from some Republicans.
2) IMO, Mueller wanted to tamp down any nonsense about Leaks coming from his Investigation and he wanted to do it for his own Investigators that might start looking oddly at each other if they thought one of them or two of them might be leaking and he wanted to establish that for the rest of us as well.

I am disheartened that the two Buzzfeed reporters on the byline have contradicted each other in their initial comments about corroboration. Buzzfeed's boss and one of the reporters on the byline were on this morning and they only sort of answered the question about that contradiction. At least THEY should be treating such a story with the seriousness it deserves and they should have been prepared for the simple fact that the corroboration questions would be the important questions they would face immediately.

They claim this morning to be confident in the story and they claim their story will be born out in time. They are really hung out in space on this one. Again, Mueller's only real function is to Indict and Prosecute. If he is not going to Indict and Prosecute the President while he sits as President it may likely be a long time before if ever that corroboration comes from Mueller and I am inclined to think SDNY is pretty much done as regards this specific aspect of the various cases floating around out there. It might come out during the Indictment and Prosecution process for others that have not been Indicted as yet as they might give up Trump in the same way that Cohen appears to have.

Might it come through Congressional Hearings? Yes, but not likely while Mueller's Indictments are still in process though it might come out after all the Indictments are in and the Prosecutions are in process.

Buzzfeed said this morning that they would not expose their sources but that they had gone back to them and Buzzfeed is reporting that the story is still solid.

Finally, comments that the Mueller statement amounts to a definitive rejection of the Buzzfeed story are sheer nonsense. Go get yourself an English dictionary and a few lessons in English grammar if that is a case anybody wants to make.

Exactly. Supporters of the President are putting a lot of hope in their insistence on an interpretation of the statement that is simply not borne out by the text.

I understand the instinct. There's palpable desperation out there the further along this thing gets.

It will again become uncomfortable for the President's supporters over time as the very, very narrow scope of the statement about the BF article becomes more clear.

I suspect they shot down the story because it was so incendiary and so blatantly false.

And that's because Mueller has a long history of shooting down false stories in the media?

My theory is that Mueller saved the democrats from making themselves even bigger asses than they already are.

The Mueller investigation's intended purpose is to keep the focus on Trump and obscure the malfeasance committed by the FBI not only during the Hillary email (miss-)investigation but also the malfeasance committed by the FBI and the IC weaponizing government agencies spying on political opponents. The Mueller investigation IS the 'insurance policy' discussed in McCabe's office by Strzok, Page and others.

Back
Top Bottom