• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you want tyranny of the majority?

Craig234

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
People tend to say they don't want "tyranny of the majority". That they respect democracy and individual rights and limits on the majority's power over the minority. They're often not telling the truth.

To do that, people need to oppose their OWN side when it's in power and oversteps. When trump sabotages the Post Office trying to steal an election, HIS supporters should put country over party or cult leader, and stand up for fair elections and against abuse of power and the rights of their fellow citizens who vote differently.

There's an old saying, "I strongly disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death the right to say it."

Republicans have largely updated that to, "I strongly disagree with what you say, and I'd strongly support trump if he shot you on Fifth Avenue for saying it."

I haven't seen ONE trump supporter condemn his attempt to steal the election by sabotaging the post office or other methods. That is why they are called un-American, traitorous, anti-democracy, dangerous, immoral, etc. It's simply describing them, and their not liking it doesn't make it less accurate. They need to put up or shut up on defending the American system.

How can a vote of the majority be considered as TYRANNY if Constitutional rights are respected?

How can a vote of the majority be considered as TYRANNY if Constitutional rights are respected?

Because constitutional rights are not respected. The most egregious example is the right to keep and bear arms, which is routinely violated by both the states and the federal government.

Isn't "tyranny of the majority" what democracy is?

lol

People tend to say they don't want "tyranny of the majority". That they respect democracy and individual rights and limits on the majority's power over the minority. They're often not telling the truth.

To do that, people need to oppose their OWN side when it's in power and oversteps. When trump sabotages the Post Office trying to steal an election, HIS supporters should put country over party or cult leader, and stand up for fair elections and against abuse of power and the rights of their fellow citizens who vote differently.

There's an old saying, "I strongly disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death the right to say it."

Republicans have largely updated that to, "I strongly disagree with what you say, and I'd strongly support trump if he shot you on Fifth Avenue for saying it."

I haven't seen ONE trump supporter condemn his attempt to steal the election by sabotaging the post office or other methods. That is why they are called un-American, traitorous, anti-democracy, dangerous, immoral, etc. It's simply describing them, and their not liking it doesn't make it less accurate. They need to put up or shut up on defending the American system.

A healthy government is maintained according to this principle: The majority rules, but not at the expense of the minority's rights. This is why rights have to be legally protected no matter how many people would vote those rights away.

Because constitutional rights are not respected. The most egregious example is the right to keep and bear arms, which is routinely violated by both the states and the federal government.

I'd be more than happy to back down to my opposition to the Second Amendment if your side would back down their opposition to just about every other Amendment.

Besides the fact that rights are NOT being respected, here's an example. 80% of Americans pass a constitutional amendment saying the other 20% will be murdered by the US military, and then they are. Perfectly constitutional, and tyranny of the majority.

Do you want tyranny of the majority?

i support getting rid of the EC, but that isn't tyranny.

you won't see much condemnation of Tweety sabotaging the postal service or of any of the other dirty tricks by the right because a lot of of them support it, whether tacitly or otherwise.

I'd be more than happy to back down to my opposition to the Second Amendment if your side would back down their opposition to just about every other Amendment.

Like what? People on the far right like myself hate government, we support any restrictions on the state.

Right now we have unchecked tyranny of the minority so it might be an improvement.

Where was the last mass gun confiscation in violation of the 2nd amendment?

Right now we have unchecked tyranny of the minority so it might be an improvement.

What are 5 examples of the tyranny of the minority? The fact that other people have innate rights to act and live how they choose that you don't agree with does not mean that your rights are being violated.

Like what? People on the far right like myself hate government, we support any restrictions on the state.

The current president has decided to rule by decree, so you must not be a supporter then.

Where was the last mass gun confiscation in violation of the 2nd amendment?

It doesn't have to be "mass gun confiscation" to be a violation of the 2nd amendment. Using your own "reasoning", if the cops aren't committing mass murder then they aren't violating anyone's civil rights.

What are 5 examples of the tyranny of the minority? The fact that other people have innate rights to act and live how they choose that you don't agree with does not mean that your rights are being violated.

No, I mean the government as it stands now is represents a minority of citizens, both in our election system where a minorities dictate who has power and in the real power of representation where large money donors are who are really being represented.

No, you're thinking of progressive hero FDR.

No I was thinking of Donald Trump who has decided to sabotage the post office and social security by executive decree, is now claiming basically unlimited power, and is unchecked by a willing senate.

Whenever one side is about to lose an election not only decisively, but embarrassingly so, such that the other party is likely to end up controlling all branches of government, except for the Supreme Court, democracy instantly transforms into "tyranny of the majority."

Grow up.

Whenever one side is about to lose an election not only decisively, but embarrassingly so, such that the other party is likely to end up controlling all branches of government, except for the Supreme Court, democracy instantly transforms into "tyranny of the majority."

Grow up.

If the democrats were going to claim the kind of power that Trump currently claims they might have a point.

Maybe they're just scared that they're going to reap what they sow.

Nice spin on the dem attempt to steal the election with voter fraud.

No I was thinking of Donald Trump who has decided to sabotage the post office and social security by executive decree, is now claiming basically unlimited power, and is unchecked by a willing senate.

Donald Trump didn't commit the worst US civil rights violation of the 20th century by putting 120,000 innocent people in concentration camps via executive order. That crime was committed by progressive hero FDR.

And you're worried about the stupid post office.

Donald Trump didn't commit the worst US civil rights violation of the 20th century by putting 120,000 innocent people in concentration camps via executive order. That crime was committed by progressive hero FDR.

I think if you have to defend your guy by saying what they are doing isn't as bad as the Japanese internment you should rethink your argument.

You obviously don't even know what the far-right is. :)

Your president has killed over 160,000 people through gross negligence. Hell of a low bar you set that 45 didn't even clear.

Grow up.

Well, you have hit both obnoxious and clueless.

You're right, every administration tries to steal election, abusing power. I remember when Carter broke the Post Office to prevent votes from Reagan when he was doing badly in the polls.

Back
Top Bottom