• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you type 1 space or 2 spaces after the ending punctuation mark?

I learned on a type writer so I used two spaces for most of my life. I probably broke the habit around 8 years ago.

That's what punctuation is for? :lol:

The mystery remains, lol.

Maybe it has to do with perhaps being a lesser form of separation. Like how there is a paragraph break. Then a lesser form is a line break. Then a lesser form... two spaces for a sentence break? I can't really give you the exact reasoning. It was just how it used to be taught.

But why? Did the typewriters put the words too close together?

Sometimes. The old typewriters were “monospaced”. Every character took up the exact amount of space. So an I and W took up the same amount of space, making it sometimes look visually like there a space when there wasn’t one or make the letters look almost smashed together. The double space was just to make it more clear there was a sentence break. The practice became unnecessary with modern electric type writers and computers that automatically ensure character spacing is always uniform, but old habits die hard.

Sometimes. The old typewriters were “monospaced”. Every character took up the exact amount of space. So an I and W took up the same amount of space, making it sometimes look visually like there a space when there wasn’t one or make the letters look almost smashed together. The double space was just to make it more clear there was a sentence break. The practice became unnecessary with modern electric type writers and computers that automatically ensure character spacing is always uniform, but old habits die hard.

Would the period/lack there of not signal that?

Would the period/lack there of not signal that?

Sure, but sometimes you might miss the period if it was preceded my a wide based letter like “m”. The bottom right “foot” of the “m”, on some type writers, would just touch the period, making it easier to miss.

It isn’t like it would be unintelligible if it wasn’t double spaced, but doing so just ensured it looked a little...“cleaner”.

But why? Did the typewriters put the words too close together?

It used to have to do with 'mono spacing fonts' of the mechanical type writers. All letters had the same space between them. Computers don't have monospaced fonts anymore, and thus a period will automatically put in a space after. Computers and word processors have proportionally spaces fonts now.

It used to have to do with 'mono spacing fonts' of the mechanical type writers. All letters had the same space between them. Computers don't have monospaced fonts anymore, and thus a period will automatically put in a space after. Computers and word processors have proportionally spaces fonts now.

isn't that difference that enabled the set up of dan rather, by undermining the story of dubya's awol

isn't that difference that enabled the set up of dan rather, by undermining the story of dubya's awol

I am not sure if that is the exact issue , but it is very likely.

I got used to using one space after a period. Saves on line/par/page length in a brief.

I normally use 1 space, but I'll occasionally use 2 or 3, especially if numbering items, like: **Musicians who are terrible: 1). Bruce Springsteen, 2). Katy Perry, 3). Dave Matthews, 4). U2/Bono, 5). Eminem(the only NON-musician on the list), 6). Bon Jovi, 7). Limp Bizkit/Fred Durst(oh well, I guess there IS another non-musician on the list).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom