• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Do you Truly believe in Freedom of Religion.

ThoughtEx.

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
This is a thought experiment. It may be bs or it may be revealing. I hope to find out. Please answer truthfully. And try to not be offended by other people's answers. And keep in mind it is not asking if we should have school prayer, only if the children should be allowed to do it on their own, while in school. If you wondering how this is an experiment, just wait. :mrgreen:

images (48).jpg

Yes. Regardless of what your religious affiliation is, you have the constitutional right to worship as you see fit, so long as you do not harm another person with your acts of devotion.

Yes. Regardless of what your religious affiliation is, you have the constitutional right to worship as you see fit, so long as you do not harm another person with your acts of devotion.

While I would add that this freedom is only guaranteed in public schools.

This is pretty much it. He is going to try and spring the trap of Muslims praying, but I think we all see that coming, and I doubt it changes any one's answer. You are constitutionally allowed to pray in school, as long as it does not disrupt school activities.

So long as it doesn't disturb the peace or disrupt public affairs, sure thing.

Try and be clear as you can in your answers, and it wouldn't be much of an experiment if all I was after was a "gotcha" moment. There are three photos, and although I would have preferred surprise from those who aren't aware of them, its not necessary. As the experiment isn't what your answers are. Or if they match. Stay tuned.

unless you're a muslim :)

This is a thought experiment. It may be bs or it may be revealing. I hope to find out. Please answer truthfully. And try to not be offended by other people's answers. And keep in mind it is not asking if we should have school prayer, only if the children should be allowed to do it on their own, while in school. If you wondering how this is an experiment, just wait. :mrgreen:

View attachment 67203305

Children in every single school in the US are allowed to pray. What they're not allowed to do is grandstand and distract from learning by praying out loud or making a show of it. Can you give any examples of US schools preventing children from praying silently to whatever deity they please?

So long as it doesn't disturb the peace or disrupt public affairs, sure thing.

You think that a prayer in school could disturb the public peace?

They already can pray in school. It isn't possible to stop anyone who wants to pray silently to themselves to pray anywhere that they want. That's just reality. What isn't allowed to happen is for teachers and administrators, in their role as teachers and administrators, to lead prayers in schools. But the religious don't want private, silent prayers, they want public displays of piety. They want people in authority to use that authority to push their religion. That's something that is not, cannot be and will never be allowed.

They already can pray in school. It isn't possible to stop anyone who wants to pray silently to themselves to pray anywhere that they want. That's just reality. What isn't allowed to happen is for teachers and administrators, in their role as teachers and administrators, to lead prayers in schools. But the religious don't want private, silent prayers, they want public displays of piety. They want people in authority to use that authority to push their religion. That's something that is not, cannot be and will never be allowed.
Well said. Sooner or later people are going to fully understand what you wrote. Don't know when but sooner or later.

You think that a prayer in school could disturb the public peace?

I was talking in general terms regarding the concept of freedom of worship.

View attachment 67203305

Yes , They should be allowed if the children WANT to pray . It should not disrupt others .

Well said. Sooner or later people are going to fully understand what you wrote. Don't know when but sooner or later.

No, the people who don't actually care about prayer but want proselytizing will never figure it out. They don't care about freedom, they care about pushing their religion on everyone.

In private schools the rules are un the contract and not the Constitution.

That's because private schools are businesses and public schools are the government.

Exactly.

The bible presents Jesus as saying that one should "enter a closet" and pray in private, and not in public. Public displays of devotion are really intended, I believe, to collect support and "credit" for piety, as you pointed out. So I would say that anyone should be able to pray any time if they can find a proper place in which to pray, and that could be in the silence of their minds, or the privacy of a restroom stall, or any private place in between.

No, the people who don't actually care about prayer but want proselytizing will never figure it out. They don't care about freedom, they care about pushing their religion on everyone.

I think we have all seen adequate cases to show that such people don't want to figure it out.

Well Said! :applaud

I think we have all seen adequate cases to show that such people don't want to figure it out.

Of course not, they're emotionally invested in remaining ignorant.

View attachment 67203305

This is pretty much it. He is going to try and spring the trap of Muslims praying, but I think we all see that coming, and I doubt it changes any one's answer. You are constitutionally allowed to pray in school, as long as it does not disrupt school activities.

Children in every single school in the US are allowed to pray. What they're not allowed to do is grandstand and distract from learning by praying out loud or making a show of it. Can you give any examples of US schools preventing children from praying silently to whatever deity they please?

:yt

I very much believe in freedom of religion and would fight tooth and nail defending it but it like all rights it does have limits and those limits are set where it becomes infringing on the rights of others just like all rights.

Last edited:
I very much believe in freedom of religion and would fight tooth and nail defending it but it like all rights does have limits and those limits are set where it becomes infringing on the rights of others just like all rights.

I'm fine with freedom of religion, people have the right to believe whatever they want to believe. That does not mean they have the right to act however they want to act, nor that their religious beliefs get to infringe on the rights of others. Freedom of religion is not more important than other freedoms we enjoy, nor does being free to believe make you free from criticism.

Far too many people think religion is special and it's just not.

Back
Top Bottom