• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you think you'll be in favor of the militarism paradigm for the rest of your life?

Do you think you'll be in favor of the militarism paradigm for the rest of your life?

• Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • I don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Antiwar

Green Party progressive
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Definition: the belief or desire of a government or people that a country should maintain a strong military capability and be prepared to use it aggressively to defend or promote national interests.

Where does having a strong enough military to defend your country and allies against aggressive countries fit?

Definition: the belief or desire of a government or people that a country should maintain a strong military capability and be prepared to use it aggressively to defend or promote national interests.

How is the Ukraine doing?

Where does having a strong enough military to defend your country and allies against aggressive countries fit?

There are plenty of militarized governments. Some are obviously radically more militarized than others.

: the belief or desire of a government or people that a country should maintain a strong military capability and be prepared to use it aggressively to defend or promote national interests.
Yes.

I want the United States to maintain a military strong and effective enough for protecting national security and economic interests.

There are plenty of militarized governments. Some are obviously radically more militarized than others.
That doesn't really answer my question, though. You threw in 'aggressive' use of the military, not only defensive. Are you now using 'more militarized' and 'less militarized' to try to mean the difference?

What do you suppose are the best alternatives?

That doesn't really answer my question, though. You threw in 'aggressive' use of the military, not only defensive. Are you now using 'more militarized' and 'less militarized' to try to mean the difference?

Maybe this will answer your question: I didn't write the definition of 'militarism.'

What do you suppose are the best alternatives?

Whatever helps the planet and people to do MUCH better! Militarism ****s up the planet and people.

military strong and effective enough for protecting national security and economic interests.

Right.
You already told us the other day that you support killing people halfway around the world that never did anything to you as long as it adds to your own "comfort".

Thats was a fabulous display of values BTW. I'm still speechless in admiration. Thats fantastic "christian" stuff right there. :oops::sick:

Whatever helps the planet and people to do MUCH better! Militarism ****s up the planet and people.

The way I see it the reason there are militarized states is because there are other militarized states.

It's an amazing waste yes, but it's also a problem no one actually knows the solution to. So, I asked what your preferred answer was.

maintain a strong military capability and be prepared to use it aggressively to defend or promote national interests.

Use it to "defend" sure. Not to "promote national interests" ie: Naziism.

The US could get by with a military that is far smaller than it is now of course.

I'll always support defense, do not now and will never support "militarism". I'm not even really sure that "defense" could ever possibly be "aggressive". It shouldn't ever be.

The way I see it the reason there are militarized states is because there are other militarized states.

It's an amazing waste yes, but it's also a problem no one actually knows the solution to. So, I asked what your preferred answer was.

There's no solution? Humans are always going to be barbaric? I think not!

There's no solution? Humans are always going to be barbaric? I think not!

Humans are always going to be human. 'hey guys, wouldn't it be nice if we all disarmed' isn't exactly a plan.

Humans are always going to be human.

Are you sure? There's talk about people melding with computers. But screw that. You think people are always going to be militarized? Are you militarized?

'hey guys, wouldn't it be nice if we all disarmed' isn't exactly a plan.

Who said that?!

Are you sure? There's talk about people melding with computers.

There have been a lot of attempts to innovate away the downsides of the social human, sadly they tend to fail.

But screw that. You think people are always going to be militarized? Are you militarized?

No, but my society is. It's why we don't live in fear of invasion like the Ukrainians do. They were comparatively less militarized than us.

Who said that?!

You aren't speaking toward your plans so I had to imagine what they might sound like. Have I done a very poor job?

No, but my society is. It's why we don't live in fear of invasion like the Ukrainians do. They were comparatively less militarized than us.

The US was invaded in 2001.

You aren't speaking toward your plans so I had to imagine what they might sound like. Have I done a very poor job?

This thread isn't for plans.

The US was invaded in 2001.

Not the sort of invasion I was worried about.

This thread isn't for plans.

Clearly. I also enjoy complaining about the state of the world without even a whisper of how I would like them to be, or any idea (or discussion about) how to get things from how they are to the way I want them to be.

Not the sort of invasion I was worried about.

Okay.

Clearly. I also enjoy complaining about the state of the world without even a whisper of how I would like them to be, or any idea (or discussion about) how to get things from how they are to the way I want them to be.

You're trying to frame my commentary as complaining? Then it's you who's complaining.

I answered yes although I disagree with labeling it "militarianism". The US has approximate 2.5 million active duty troops out of a population of over 330 million - less than one percent.

Back
Top Bottom