• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you think there's something fishy going on with Fox News' super high ratings?

I used to watch it now an again for a laugh, I wonder how many people also do that.

Something IS up. Fox News ratings are up. As they always have been.

I don't watch either Fox or MSNBC, with certain exceptions; Morning Joe on MSNBC every now and then, and Fox News Sunday on Sunday mornings along with the other network's Sunday weekly recap shows.

MSNBC chose to be totally political, not just a slant. Fox chose to have a hard right slant in their talking head opinion shows, with regular news type shows as well (that appears to be changing though from what I have read).

Centrists for the most part don't like any overt politicization of the news. And IMHO that's why MSNBC's numbers have always been low, being that they have predetermined their demographic's numbers by their programming.

Fox, on the other hand, has always surprised me by the large numbers they get. The only reason I can think of for their numbers, is that Fox is the ONLY TV outlet where a liberal slant or at least a bias doesn't exist, therefore they don't have to split their demographic with other networks, like MSNBC does with CNN and the Big 3 Network News shows as well as all the other networks that have popped up recently that cater to the left.

Aren't those ratings just basically extrapolated from a small number of people who are part of the Nielson ratings group? Seems like it could just be a statistical outlier where a bunch more of the Nielson families happened to tune in that night, and the numbers would get amplified because of the way those ratings are calculated?

... I don't seem to know much of anything about TV ratings.

...or....care.

Fox and MSNBC are both empty calories, partisan hack networks that exist solely for the purpose of self-affirmation.

Trying to decide between which is better faux news or MSNBC I find it like trying to decide between cat vomit and dog vomit on which tastes better.

Trying to decide between which is better faux news or MSNBC I find it like trying to decide between cat vomit and dog vomit on which tastes better.

I prefer the analogy "ointment or suppository."

I generally thinks the ratings are right within their margin of error. Fox News is a conservative media outlet. They appeal to people whoa re waaaaaaay more passionate about politics than the average person. Many Fox News viewers honest to goodness think America is being destroyed and the information Fox News delivers addresses that crisis and is not available anywhere else. If someone honestly thought America was being destroyed its understandable why they stayed glued to the TV. The rest of the country who isn't thinking America is being destroyed of going out to dinner, catching a movie, etc. and if they are watching TV the audience is split between hundreds of channels.

Secondly, from what I understand Fox News' untold secret is their largest audience group is elderly men. There's nothing wrong with being an elderly man and I hope to be one myself one day but take way the old guy audience that I think the news channels are a lot closer in audience make up. In fact, go young enough and I heard MSNBC beats Fox News.

I agree however, what doesn't make sense is one day MSNBC beats Fox News and the next day Fox News beats MSNBC.

Now that I know how they calculate ratings - it's not founded on solid numbers that you can verify. The whole concept is fishy to me. They have no clue how many people tune into anything.

To some, statistics are as understood as magic.

Your weird man. You change your avatar and your whole personality and ideology changes.

My ideology hasn't changed one bit, nor has my personality.

EDIT: It's YOU'RE. Contraction of "you are." Why can't people get this right?

EDIT 2: Sorry, I'm a copy editor for a living. I'm basically a professional proofreader.

My ideology hasn't changed one bit, nor has my personality.

EDIT: It's YOU'RE. Contraction of "you are." Why can't people get this right?

EDIT 2: Sorry, I'm a copy editor for a living. I'm basically a professional proofreader.

So your saying you are a member of the working poor ?

You could have done worse, earned a useless BA in history.

Maybe someone brought the hammer down ?

:eek: It's last call. Time to find a designated driver and di di.

So your saying you are a member of the working poor ?

No. I do work, and I am not poor. I earn a comfortable living. Not extravagant, but comfortable.

Ouch. I was a history minor, and I remember sitting in class with history majors and they all wanted to be history teachers. Finite market for that skill.

Maybe someone brought the hammer down ?

What.

:eek: It's last call. Time to find a designated driver and di di.

Good man ... no driving when drunk.

Ouch. I was a history minor, and I remember sitting in class with history majors and they all wanted to be history teachers. Finite market for that skill.

you know you two, i recently earned a AA degree in history and i am planning on being a history teacher. and let me tell you one thing, it ain't about the money, its for the education of others that i stive to be a history teacher.

you know you two, i recently earned a AA degree in history and i am planning on being a history teacher. and let me tell you one thing, it ain't about the money, its for the education of others that i stive to be a history teacher.

And there's nothing wrong with that ... please don't think that's what I was insinuating. It's just not easy to get a job doing that.

I have always been a history buff, but I would be a terrible teacher. More power to you if you can do it.

Back
Top Bottom