• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you think the government should cover abortions?

Do you think the government should cover abortions?

• Total voters

Unbeknownst

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
If abortion is the woman's right, as some believe, shouldn't it be the right of all women, not just all women with money? Or maybe you disagree.

If the government provides medical coverage, yes. asshole conservatives dont' get to decide which medical treatments they like, like they are personally footing the bill. Should skinny people have to pay for fat people who are a drain on healthcare resources? should they pay for unvaccinated assholes who fill up hospitals and costs so much expenses and drain? Pay for healthcare for an alcoholic or a drug addict? the answer is yes, but I make that point becuase anti choice people will come in hear making their stupid anti abortion comments that are so played out

People don't personaly get to decide which medical care gets covered and if they cover healthcare at all, the type of care is up to the doctor and patient and nobody else

If abortion is the woman's right, as some believe, shouldn't it be the right of all women, not just all women with money? Or maybe you disagree.

No. Owning guns is also a right - how many guns (per adult) should the government provide “access to”?

This is about as stupid as anything I've ever read here or anywhere.

It is my right to own a car. Do you feel the government should buy me one? Maybe the Lord?

Abortion is a woman's right, simple legal fact. Having money just makes it easier to exercise that right.

As long as they pay for my ski gear, I'm good with that.

But this is a silly question, because it costs a lot more money to have a baby than it costs to have an abortion.

Abortion is a woman's right, simple legal fact. Having money just makes it easier to exercise that right.

Yep, owning (or renting) a home is a right. Having money just makes it easier to exercise that right.

Absolutely!

Each abortion means that an unplanned baby is not brought into this world.

In such cases, everyone benefits: the mother, the unplanned baby, and -- of course -- society.

The government should fund Planned Parenthood, not only because they sometimes serve as abortion providers, but also because historically, they have prevented more unwanted pregnancies than any other institution.

Actually abortion is not a right. That is the actual simple fact. Abortion is a decision and what is being argued is who has the right to make that decision.

Yep, owning (or renting) a home is a right. Having money just makes it easier to exercise that right.
Interesting comparison. Considering that a landlord has the right the evict tenets they do not want in their house. As a woman has the right to evict a tenet in her body that she does not want.

What use is a right to a woman who is not pregnant? Only pregnant women have a right to decide whether they want an abortion or not. For every other women it is simply a hypothetical question.

This is about as stupid as anything I've ever read here or anywhere.

It is my right to own a car. Do you feel the government should buy me one? Maybe the Lord?
It is not a right to own a car. it is simply legal to own a car.

And yours is an opinion obviously based on selfishness rather than anything well thought out.

Well I'm in favor of universal healthcare...so...yes.
Capitalism is at its worse when people think they should be able to profit from abortions. It is just a small step up from backyard butchers who use coathangers to perform an abortion.

Some things should be non profit and best run by a government.

Interesting comparison. Considering that a landlord has the right the evict tenets they do not want in their house. As a woman has the right to evict a tenet in her body that she does not want.

The comparison was limited to public financing. Does the tenant have a right to have public funds be used to pay their rent?

Last edited:
The comparison was limited to public financing. Does the tenant have a right to e and that public funds be used to pay their rent?

Yes, in countries like mine welfare will pay some percentage of rent for those who cannot afford to pay it all themselves. And I along with the majority of people agree to this. Otherwise such subsidies would not have existed for the many decades that they have existed.

Your argument is based purely on being selfish.

Yes, in countries like mine welfare will pay some percentage of rent for those who cannot afford to pay it all themselves. And I along with the majority of people agree to this. Otherwise such subsidies would not have existed for the many decades that they have existed.

Your argument is based purely on being selfish.

That (bolded above) should be enough to change public policy. Why don’t state and/or local governments offer abortion subsidies?

That (bolded above) should be enough to change public policy. Why don’t state and/or local governments offer abortion subsidies?
Because you have a shitty political system that relies on slandering the opposition rather than concentrating on politics.

As I have said, the problem here is selfishness. Your politicians only concern themselves with what will get them votes rather than what is good for society.

Actually abortion is not a right. That is the actual simple fact. Abortion is a decision and what is being argued is who has the right to make that decision.
Actually, abortion is a right, as the SCOTUS determined. A woman has the right to choose to have an abortion or not.

So you would deny that right if a woman can't afford it? I suggest you take a look at the 24th Amendment.

So you would deny that right if a woman can't afford it? I suggest you take a look at the 24th Amendment.
Strawman argument. Financial issues might affect a woman being able to get an abortion. It doesn't affect her right or choice to get one.

Actually, abortion is a right, as the SCOTUS determined. A woman has the right to choose to have an abortion or not.
Key word there is "choose". Abortion is not a right it is merely a medical procedure. the right as you point out is the right to choose.

The argument is who has the right to choose, not whether abortion itself is a right.

Key word there is "choose". Abortion is not a right it is merely a medical procedure. the right as you point out is the right to choose.

The argument is who has the right to choose, not whether abortion itself is a right.
Choosing is the right. Choose to have an abortion or not. And since the woman is the one getting pregnant, she can choose to have an abortion .

Back
Top Bottom