• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Do you think man will ever advance to the point where Space will be explored?

I think it depends on what you mean by the question. Space is already being explored... Whether some of us will ever leave Earth and move to another planet or moon is an entirely different question, although I would say the answer is yes, and quite possibly in a near future. Nothing like out of the solar system, though.

Considering there are ~2000 stars within 50 light years we shouldn't be too worried about that at this time.

Do you have any idea how far 50 light years is or how long it would take to travel with current tech? Many 1000's of years.

Everything we do today was Sci-Fi just a short while ago. It will be hundreds of years from now when the first FTL ship takes off. It maybe hundreds more before everyone can uy a personal space ship. It's just a matter of time.

Satellites, television, computers, cell phones, GPS, run flat tires and colored folks sharing rest-rooms with whites were all Sci-Fi when I was a child. I'm not even dead yet. I'll see 3D printers in common use before I leave.

A boobie is an excellent nesting place for an AI core logic nexus. Just saying...

Stop to think about the pace of technological progress in today's world. Species homo sapiens spent 95% of our history as hunter gatherers, living of the land in ways not much different from our non human ancestors. Then, suddenly, about 10,000 years or so ago, we started tinkering with mathematics, writing, animal husbandry, and agriculture.

Then, about 500 or so years ago, science began to replace superstition in an event we call the renaissance, or rebirth.

First birth would be a better term.

Then, a couple hundred years ago, we invented machines that developed their own power.
A couple of decades ago or so, we invented the internet.

Put this on a timeline, one thousand years equal to a meter, and the timeline would stretch twice the length of a soccer field. Writing would appear ten meters from the goal post, Columbus' voyage about half a meter, the industrial age about 20 cm., the internet 2 or 3 mm from the end.

Men on the moon happened just over 40 years ago, or 4 mm from the end.

That's how fast technological progress is happening. It is a geometric progression of progress. Think about that, and imagine where we might be another meter or so down that timeline.

Do you have any idea how far 50 light years is or how long it would take to travel with current tech? Many 1000's of years.
Very much so. I was out of HS when Voyager I was launched and was reading science books, especially particle physics and space, before that. He hypothesized a 100c ship speed, which would get us 50 ly in 6 months. Who cares that it would take ~330 years to reach the galactic core at that speed? Plenty of real estate to explore and colonized right in our own backyard.

Back
Top Bottom