• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Do you think it's ok for gays to adopt?

Should gays be allowed to adopt?

• Yes

Votes: 52 76.5%
  • No

Votes: 16 23.5%

• Total voters

americanwoman

dangerously addictive
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20060221/pl_usatoday/drivestobangayadoptionheatupin16states

So whats your thought on this? Yes or no and why.

I say yes because I think anyone is fit to be a parent as long as they can treat the kid right and bring them up good. I also think it's against their civil rights to deny them their right to adopt.
They should go through the adoption procedure just like everyoone else of course but not get treated any differently.

Should Gays be allowed to adopt?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20060221/pl_usatoday/drivestobangayadoptionheatupin16states
USA TODAY said:
Efforts to ban gays and lesbians from adopting children are emerging across the USA as a second front in the culture wars that began during the 2004 elections over same-sex marriage.Steps to pass laws or secure November ballot initiatives are underway in at least 16 states, adoption, gay rights and conservative groups say. Some - such as Ohio, Georgia and Kentucky - approved constitutional amendments in 2004 banning gay marriage."Now that we've defined what marriage is, we need to take that further and say children deserve to be in that relationship," says Greg Quinlan of Ohio's Pro-Family Network, a conservative Christian group.

Is the family unit really that intact anymore to deny homosexuals and homosexual couples to adopt? Does the old fashioned definition of family unit still apply?

Dear American Woman,

Your poll question asks..."Should gays be allowed to vote," yet your heading asks "should gays be allowed to adopt?"

Yes, to both questions.

Re: Should Gays be allowed to adopt?

Datamonkee said:

Is the family unit really that intact anymore to deny homosexuals and homosexual couples to adopt? Does the old fashioned definition of family unit still apply?

This kind of stuff makes me sick. Many states allow a single parent to adopt. Who cares what their sexual preference is.

And, no, the family unit is not that intact anymore. The majority of marriages end in divorce. Some parents use their kids as a way to get back at the other parent, which is horrible. I see this regularly, and it is appalling. One of my co-workers and her former spouse do this with their child. He has behavioral problems, of course.

I am just thankful that my parents are still together and are still googley-eyed about each other. It would have been rough to deal with a divorce--seeing one of my parents with a new partner, having step-siblings, etc. Back to the subject. I just don't see how the family unit can involve only heterosexuals with children. That's just plain stupid and clearly prejudicial.

Hoot said:
Dear American Woman,

Your poll question asks..."Should gays be allowed to vote," yet your heading asks "should gays be allowed to adopt?"

Yes, to both questions.

OMG I'm sorry! someone was distracting me about voting while I was making the poll. How do I change it?

[Moderator mode]

Changed...:cool:

[/Moderator mode]

I think that a gay couple would make just as good parents as a straight couple. My only concern would be that society's intolerance would make the kid a subject of bullying in school.

There are alot of straight parents out there who shouldn't be parents at all.
Live and let live that's what I say.

Of course, I voted yes. Gays are as well-equipped as any other adults to be good parents......or bad parents. They should be screened and approved or denied just as anyone else wanting to adopt.

[Moderator Mode]

Merged the thread "Should Gays be allowed to adopt?" into this one...same topic...

[Moderator Mode]

I voted no for the simple reason that it is easier for the child, and more beneficial, based on what I have seen, for a child to come from a home where he/she has both a male and a female role model. Not two of the same.

Blue Collar Joe said:
I voted no for the simple reason that it is easier for the child, and more beneficial, based on what I have seen, for a child to come from a home where he/she has both a male and a female role model. Not two of the same.

Easier in what way? Children choose rolemodels from all aspects of life. Some children do not choose their parents regardless of the "happy home" scenerio. I didn't. I love my mother to death, and wish death to my "father". I would have rather my mother been a lesbian and had a partner to bring me up than the nazi she married. Our culture has become too androgenous to force opposite sex role models onto our children. To perpetuate that appearance is to keep the old fashioned role of stay at home mom and 40 hr/week dad alive. Women should be in the kitchen and dad should be drinking beer and burping on the couch while "the lil lady" cooks.

I think they should be able to as well.

As long as they go through the normal legal proceedings I don't have an issue with it.

Blue Collar Joe said:

Every study I have ever seen on this subject indicates that the gender of a child's parents does not affect him/her in any measurable way.

My five year old is friends with a girl who has two mommies. Great kid.

Great mommies.

What more could one ask than a stable and loving relationship where the child's welfare is at heart?

I would say yes but I would also say that if there is a child and the child is to be adopted either by a single mom, a single dad, a gay couple, a lesbian couple, or a heterosexual married couple and all the people seem like they are capable of providing a healthy happy home I would place the child with the heterosexual couple first. It is my honest opinion that children do best with a mother and a father. However if there were children who needed homes and there were no hetero couples wanting to adopt but their were gay couples and single parents I definitely would allow them to adopt the child. It is my understanding that this is closer to the current situation here in the US. There are many children waiting adoption and not many looking to adopt. I wouldn't want a child to remain in foster care when a gay couple could provide a happy stable home.

Last edited:
GarzaUK said:
I think that a gay couple would make just as good parents as a straight couple. My only concern would be that society's intolerance would make the kid a subject of bullying in school.

There are alot of straight parents out there who shouldn't be parents at all.
Live and let live that's what I say.

Excellent point. One's sexuality has nothing to do with their ability to parent.

My sister in law, as an example, is one of those straight people who shouldn't be a parent. Doesn't have custody of her two sons, and most likely never will again. Just gave birth to a baby girl and probably has already lost her, due to her drug usage during her pregnancy. :sigh:

americanwoman said:

I beleave children should be raised by both a male and female parents.
Parents set the example for their kids as to how adult males and adult females are supposed to interact with each socially and behave.This instills the idea this is the proper way to raise a family.Single parents can not provide this example and nor can gays.

jamesrage said:
I beleave children should be raised by both a male and female parents.
Parents set the example for their kids as to how adult males and adult females are supposed to interact with each socially and behave.This instills the idea this is the proper way to raise a family.Single parents can not provide this example and nor can gays.

Except they can and they do. No reputable study has found any harmful effects from gay adoption.

Kelzie said:
Except they can and they do. No reputable study has found any harmful effects from gay adoption.

A girly acting male or a manly acting female are not male and female role models.

jamesrage said:
A girly acting male or a manly acting female are not male and female role models.

Other than being a gross stereotype, you have no proof that they aren't.

Kelzie said:
Other than being a gross stereotype, you have no proof that they aren't.

So you are telling me that two males can provide a female parental role model for how adult females are supposed to interact with members of the opposite sex or that two females can provide male parental role model on how males are supposed to interact with members of the opposite sex?

jamesrage said:

LOL. And Hispanic parents shouldn't adopt black babies, because they'll be too lazy to teach them how to steal, right?

And you expect people to take you seriously?

Kandahar said:
LOL. And Hispanic parents shouldn't adopt black babies, because they'll be too lazy to teach them how to steal, right?

Why do you think black people steal?

jamesrage said:
So you are telling me that two males can provide a female parental role model for how adult females are supposed to interact with members of the opposite sex or that two females can provide male parental role model on how males are supposed to interact with members of the opposite sex?

Why do they need to "provide" an example for how to interact with members of the opposite sex? There is NO evidence that children adopted by gay parents are different in any measurable way from children adopted by straight parents.

What are they adopting? It better be kids, because if it's pets...hell no. We don't need anymore gay dogs running loose to prey on other dogs and such.

Back
Top Bottom