• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Do you think it's ok for gays to adopt?

Should gays be allowed to adopt?

• Yes

Votes: 52 76.5%
  • No

Votes: 16 23.5%

• Total voters
Caine said:
Hmm...... So... In review.....

A single parent mother should not be allowed to keep her male child because how can she teach him about having sex?

And a single parent father should not be allowed to keep his female child because how can he teach her about her period when she reaches that age?

Give me a friggin' break.

Ive been away for a few months..... It appears the right wing nut job trolls are still around.

Hint: Think about how your post could be torn apart by someone with half-a-brain before you post it.... A small word of advice.

Welcome back

I hear a few people saying the kid will be screwed up if the parents are gay, that they won't have a male/female role model etc.

Let me tell you about my sister, she's adopted. Her real parents are addicted to drugs, booze, nicotine whatever they have got going. They have had 10 kids, whom they have all given away to adoption. They leave on a council house getting money from the government because they won't get a job. My sister's real mother smokes, took drugs while pregnent with my sis, giving her learning and social diffuculties, that she still is having trouble with and she's nearly 19.

Yet these parents to some of you they are more suitable parents than a homosexual couple, just because one's a guy and one's a gal?? Come on!!!

hipsterdufus said:
My 7 year old plays with a great kid who has 2 daddies. He was adopted, the parents are great and very loving.

I'm convinced that the basis of those who want to deny gay people the right to adopt is homophobia and repressed homosexual tendencies. Just look at the preachers and politicians out front on this issue. If you have your "gaydar" on - you know what I mean.

And there is some of the typical drivel spouted. First off, a phobia is a fear. Thus, you are insinuating that there are those of us who are afraid of homosexuals. Wrong. Just find their sexual decisions disgusting. Nothing more. The conversation has shifted from the typical 'all things being equal' discussion to bringing up the exceptions.
And being disgusted by something doesn't automatically denote people secretly want it. That is a weak and worthless counter.

I hear a few people saying the kid will be screwed up if the parents are gay, that they won't have a male/female role model etc.

Let me tell you about my sister, she's adopted. Her real parents are addicted to drugs, booze, nicotine whatever they have got going. They have had 10 kids, whom they have all given away to adoption. They leave on a council house getting money from the government because they won't get a job. My sister's real mother smokes, took drugs while pregnent with my sis, giving her learning and social diffuculties, that she still is having trouble with and she's nearly 19.

Yet these parents to some of you they are more suitable parents than a homosexual couple, just because one's a guy and one's a gal?? Come on!!!

So what is your point? I can easily counter. You get two men that adopt a little boy and both are pedophiles, you just doubled that kids misery and torment.
My nephews mother left her husband after ten years of marriage. Both the boys were well adjusted and normal. She moved in with her lesbian lover that she'd been sleeping with for over two years, and got custody of the kids.
Now, both boys are in their early twenties. Neither one will go near their mother again.
On their eighteenth birthdays, both moved out. The youngest didn't even have a job at the time, but his brother allowed him to move in with him.
And both are having issues.
No one ever said anything about their mother, and just let her live her life her way.

Those of us who are saying no are quite simply going on the premise of all things being equal, that the kids should be in as close to a conventional nuclear family as possible.

Kandahar said, “Every study I have ever seen on this subject indicates that the gender of a child's parents does not affect him/her in any measurable way.”

Could you please site the studies?

Jamesrage said, “I beleave children should be raised by both a male and female parents.
Parents set the example for their kids as to how adult males and adult females are supposed to interact with each socially and behave.This instills the idea this is the proper way to raise a family.Single parents can not provide this example and nor can gays.”

I hear ya and agree. I am a Christian so I follow scriptures not mans ideas of what is right and wrong.

Donkey1499 said, “That they don't FORCE their sexuality on the child.”

You sure this wouldn’t happen? :confused: How many people are Christian because their parents were Christian………how many were Democrats because their parents were Democrats……How many children turn out to be alcoholics because their parents were? Maybe they wouldn’t use FORCE but their lifestyle would be model enough.

You won’t convince me that it couldn’t and wouldn’t happen.

Donkey said, “Why the harshness towards Christians?”

And your asking this group that question? :rofl

Blue Collar Joe said:
And there is some of the typical drivel spouted. First off, a phobia is a fear. Thus, you are insinuating that there are those of us who are afraid of homosexuals. Wrong. Just find their sexual decisions disgusting. Nothing more. The conversation has shifted from the typical 'all things being equal' discussion to bringing up the exceptions.
And being disgusted by something doesn't automatically denote people secretly want it. That is a weak and worthless counter.
NOt quite
HTML:
One entry found for homophobia.
Main Entry: ho·mo·pho·bia
Pronunciation: "hO-m&-'fO-bE-&
Function: noun
: irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals
- ho·mo·pho·bic /-'fO-bik/ adjective

Thus an irrational aversion to, discrimination against homosexuality or persons of would be seen as homophobia.

Blue Collar Joe said:
So what is your point? I can easily counter. You get two men that adopt a little boy and both are pedophiles, you just doubled that kids misery and torment.
This can be just as easily countered with a heterosexual couple that are both pedophiles. Very weak and irrational argument.

Blue Collar Joe said:
My nephews mother left her husband after ten years of marriage. Both the boys were well adjusted and normal. She moved in with her lesbian lover that she'd been sleeping with for over two years, and got custody of the kids.
Now, both boys are in their early twenties. Neither one will go near their mother again.
May have something to do with the family condeming the act of thier mother.

Blue Collar Joe said:
On their eighteenth birthdays, both moved out. The youngest didn't even have a job at the time, but his brother allowed him to move in with him.
And both are having issues.
No one ever said anything about their mother, and just let her live her life her way.
You can not make the argument that it is the choice of thier mother that is ****ing them over, because most kids that go through thier parents divorcing have issues.

Blue Collar Joe said:
Those of us who are saying no are quite simply going on the premise of all things being equal, that the kids should be in as close to a conventional nuclear family as possible.
How many families are nuclear?

doughgirl said:
I hear ya and agree. I am a Christian so I follow scriptures not mans ideas of what is right and wrong.
Scriptures were written by god? oh yeah the "god moved my hand" myth. STill it was not god's hand.

doughgirl said:
You sure this wouldn’t happen? :confused: How many people are Christian because their parents were Christian………how many were Democrats because their parents were Democrats……How many children turn out to be alcoholics because their parents were? Maybe they wouldn’t use FORCE but their lifestyle would be model enough.
How many homosexuals parents were homosexual? Pathetic argument.

doughgirl said:
You won’t convince me that it couldn’t and wouldn’t happen.
It's defined as arrogance.

Navy Pride said:
I think ideally a child should be raised by a mother and a father......Both partners play and important part in the nurturing and raising of the child that can not be substituted for......

I think the only time gays should be allowed to adopt is when there are no other options for the child.........

I saw someone else say something similar to this and I think it's an extremely narrow way of looking at this issue. Children should go to the best home available to them at the time. It's about the children and their welfare after all, not the sexual orientation of the parents or the bias of a certain segment of society. It's nobody's business whether you approve of it or not.

mixedmedia said:
I saw someone else say something similar to this and I think it's an extremely narrow way of looking at this issue. Children should go to the best home available to them at the time. It's about the children and their welfare after all, not the sexual orientation of the parents or the bias of a certain segment of society. It's nobody's business whether you approve of it or not.
Qualification vs designation.

jfuh said:
NOt quite
HTML:
One entry found for homophobia.
Main Entry: ho·mo·pho·bia
Pronunciation: "hO-m&-'fO-bE-&
Function: noun
: irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals
- ho·mo·pho·bic /-'fO-bik/ adjective

Thus an irrational aversion to, discrimination against homosexuality or persons of would be seen as homophobia.

http://www.planetout.com/news/article-print.html?2002/06/13/3

Study: Homophobia is not a phobia

mixedmedia said:

I am thinking only about the welfare of the child......Don't get me wrong I would not rule out adoption by gays but as I said the ideal family is with a mother and a father.............Both parents bring something to a family that 2 parents of the same sex can not bring.........

I think it should be the last option for a child and if that happens I would rather see a child placed with 2 females and not 2 males.........

Navy Pride said:
I am thinking only about the welfare of the child......Don't get me wrong I would not rule out adoption by gays but as I said the ideal family is with a mother and a father.............Both parents bring something to a family that 2 parents of the same sex can not bring.........

I think it should be the last option for a child and if that happens I would rather see a child placed with 2 females and not 2 males.........

So what does that say to that child if all children placed with gay couples are only placed there because the "good" parents (ie, straight) didn't want them? These decisions should be based on who can provide the most secure and nurturing environment for the child. It is not about your bias or even mine. It is about the welfare of the children.

mixedmedia said:
So what does that say to that child if all children placed with gay couples are only placed there because the "good" parents (ie, straight) didn't want them? These decisions should be based on who can provide the most secure and nurturing environment for the child. It is not about your bias or even mine. It is about the welfare of the children.
:applaud :rock :yt

Blue Collar Joe said:
I voted no for the simple reason that it is easier for the child, and more beneficial, based on what I have seen, for a child to come from a home where he/she has both a male and a female role model. Not two of the same.
So it is better for the kid to stay in long-term foster care or groups homes until turning 18 than to have a home?

Not very compassionate of you.

jamesrage said:
I beleave children should be raised by both a male and female parents.
Parents set the example for their kids as to how adult males and adult females are supposed to interact with each socially and behave.This instills the idea this is the proper way to raise a family.Single parents can not provide this example and nor can gays.
So we should take kids away from single parents because it is not good for the kids. Hmm....

steen said:
So we should take kids away from single parents because it is not good for the kids. Hmm....
I'd like to see him try. :cool:

Forming stable monogamous relationships and raising children is socially desirable behavior. We should be encouraging this, whether the people involved are homosexual or heterosexual.

There are other ways for gay couples to have children. It's not like stopping them from adopting is stopping them from raising families.

Donkey1499 said:
I say, Yes. (Don't have a heart attack, Kelzie!)
But only under two conditions:
1) That the ones who are adopting the children are fit to be parents (Financially, emotionally, etc.)
OK, this is scarry, Donkey showing compassion for people rather tham pushing moralistic Bible thumping. :shock: I agree with you.

2) That they don't FORCE their sexuality on the child. (As in, don't make them gay if they don't want or choose to be gay).
Also the case for heterosexual parents, right? In fact, this should be true for ALL parents.

(BTW, the stats show kids from homosexual households are no more likely to turn out homosexual than is any other kid.)

Blue Collar Joe said:
And when the typical dad rapes his daughter as so often happens, then what? We should outlaw parents?

What makes you claim that homosexuals are pedophiles? Are you stupid or something?

mixedmedia said:

MM the undenialable fact is you as a mother bring something unique to raising a child that a man can not bring and a father brings something unique that a mother can not bring..........

That is only common sense..........

No way do we allow gays to adopt. What are the chances that the child will grow up having gay attributes leading right on through to being gay? I would say probably around 100%.

These liberal whacked-out ideas on gay anything is really starting to worry normal Americans. Once this kid enters school, he is then indoctrinated into classes full of political correctness and those showing gay sex to be normal. You know that latest class titled, "Johnny has two mommies? There is another class starting up (I believe in queer San Francisco) titled "Johnny has two queer daddys). Give us a break here with this alternative lifestyle crap. Try picking up a Bible for once in your life.

Navy Pride said:
MM the undenialable fact is you as a mother bring something unique to raising a child that a man can not bring and a father brings something unique that a mother can not bring..........

That is only common sense..........

But what about the words I said, NavyPride. You didn't address my statement. And I am a single mother.

mixedmedia said:
But what about the words I said, NavyPride. You didn't address my statement. And I am a single mother.

I don't know your personal circumstances MM.......Is the child yours? Did you adopt? Are you a foster parent?

Navy Pride said:
MM the undenialable fact is you as a mother bring something unique to raising a child that a man can not bring and a father brings something unique that a mother can not bring...

The question is, then, when a mother and a father are not available, which is preferable: One father, or two fathers? One mother, or two mothers?

Where is the objection to allowing single parents to adopt? We've been doing that for years-- and I think that's a less ideal situation than a homosexual couple.

Back
Top Bottom