• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Do you think it was the right decision to drop the atomic bombs on Japan to end WW2?

Do you think it was the right decision to drop the atomic bomb on Japan to end WW2?

• Yes

Votes: 86 74.8%
  • No

Votes: 29 25.2%

• Total voters
If a world without war will never exist, I say we give up now.

Ok well you better give up now.

Maybe that's idealistic, but I'd prefer that then believing that there is always another war on the horizon.

Well it is and it will never happen. I am sorry. But thats just th way this world is. Ever here of entropy? As time goes on things deteriorate from there original state of being. Well as time goes on thins wil get worse here darlin. Get used to it.

We have experienced starvation, hunger, pestilence, and all manners of evil because we ate some fruit? Kind of sounds like the short end of the stick to me...

Yeah well you can complaign to adam and eve for that one. But its true all this for some fruit. It may sound rediculous but eating fuit from a tree that had the same fruit all the other trees do is rediculous too especially when god said not to.

Yes, god said thou shalt not kill but he also said an eye for an eye.

And even though violence begets violence God makes it perfectly clear its not a sin to protect thyself.

Re: Do you think it was the right decision to drop the atomic bombs on Japan to end W

Kelzie said:
Okay two things. If a world without war will never exist, I say we give up now. I'm not saying it's going to be in the next five years, but I think at some point, humans will stop throwing our lives away. Maybe that's idealistic, but I'd prefer that then believing that there is always another war on the horizon.

I remember from world history in high school - in all of recorded history (which goes back pretty darn far) there is less than 100 years of "peace" time. Not saying it's right, but war is a fact of life. Man is depraved - war is one of the results.

Re: Do you think it was the right decision to drop the atomic bombs on Japan to end W

edb19 said:
I remember from world history in high school - in all of recorded history (which goes back pretty darn far) there is less than 100 years of "peace" time. Not saying it's right, but war is a fact of life. Man is depraved - war is one of the results.

Even the "100 years of peacetime" is suspect because of inadequate communications and limited knowledge of world geography and populations until the last few hundred years. That's probably why the Bible says there will always be war and rumors of war.

I can join with Kelzie in hope, however, that humankind is intelligent enough to eventually rise above war as a solution to human failings. Meanwhile, it is important to understand that peace is not necessarily the absence of war. Those killed and tortured intentionally purely because those in power have the ability to do that to them surely don't care whether their country is at war or not.

There are just times that we have to decide between evils and choose for the greatest good. I think our leadership did that when the atomic bomb was dropped. I don't think nuclear war is a probability anymore as a result of those bombs dropped on Japan, but I would hope we would have the moral center to do what produces the greatest good at any time we are called upon to act.

Binary_Digit said:
I think it was pertaining to whether or not God controls life, not man. His point was, the empire state building didn't rise up from the ashes of evolution, something had to create it. He seems to believe the same thing must have happened with the entire universe. Hopefully I got that right.

A building or ANYTHING man-made has absolutely NOTHING to do with 'I.D.' vs evolution! Why is it that religious people always bring these ridiculous analogies to the board?? Makes no point whatsoever. They are COMPLETELY different.

ludahai said:
You have no idea what you are talking about. It is true that the war crimes committed by the Japanese make the the Nazis look like Boy Scouts! Remember, the Japanese started the war in 1937 when they attacked China. THey then proceeded to attack nearly every other country in the region, including the United States. They massacred hundreds of thousands of civilians in Nanjing, thousands in other cities, killed people for committing "economic crimes" like eating rice in the northeastern Chinese area of Manchuria. Comfort women, Bataan Death March, biological experiments on POWs and enemy national civilians, most notably just outside of Harbin, China.

The Japanese civilians weren't about to overthrow their government, like the Italians did. This makes them morally culpable. Furthermore, providing that the Allies DID launch a ground invasion, far more people (Japanese civilians, soldiers, and American soldiers) would have died than had perished in the firebombings and the atomic bombs.

Is the use of atomic weapons an evil? Yes. However, they were used to prevent an even greater evil and to eliminate the greatest evil Asia had to that point in history every known.

I agree that we all did horrible things in WWII. And it was horrible what the Japanese did to everyone -- I'm well aware of it and well aware of Hitler, Stalin, etc. I still do not think that a nuclear bomb dropped on hundreds of thousands of people was a good idea. Your own good book will tell you that 2 wrongs don't make a right, though it also has some very pro-war passages too! hhaahaha!!

War is evil in itself. I'm not saying that the Japanese were 'better' than the US, I just think that the entire situation was bad -- bomb or no bomb. I personally would not have chosen to drop a nuclear bomb. It set the ugliest precedent of all and we still have bad karma coming our way. And we don't know what would have happened if we didn't drop it. Japan may have surrendered anyway. it's really not worth debating. I just said it was not something that *i* would have chosen.

SKILMATIC said:
Ok well you better give up now.

Well it is and it will never happen. I am sorry. But thats just th way this world is. Ever here of entropy? As time goes on things deteriorate from there original state of being. Well as time goes on thins wil get worse here darlin. Get used to it.

Yeah well you can complaign to adam and eve for that one. But its true all this for some fruit. It may sound rediculous but eating fuit from a tree that had the same fruit all the other trees do is rediculous too especially when god said not to.

Yes, god said thou shalt not kill but he also said an eye for an eye.

And even though violence begets violence God makes it perfectly clear its not a sin to protect thyself.

Every war is about one of three things: GOD, LAND, or OIL. And I think it's about time that we got rid of GOD. God was the first COP. God created war; the 'God's' of War, and man playing god will do what God has done: He will destroy, he will mutilate, he wil penalize and he will punish the earth.

Here's just a few of the war-mongering quotes from the 'Good' book:

When the Lord your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you many nations ... then you must destroy them totally. Make no treaty with them, and show them no mercy.

Deuteronomy 20:10-15
When you march up to attack a city, make its people an offer of peace. If they accept and open their gates, all the people in it shall be subject to forced labor and shall work for you. If they refuse to make peace and they engage you in battle, lay siege to that city. When the Lord your God delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the men in it. As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves. ... This is how you are to treat all the cities that are at a distance from you and do not belong to the nations nearby.
However, in the cities of the nations the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. Completely destroy them--the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites--as the Lord your God has commanded you.

Leviticus 25:44-45
Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property.

.. all who are under the yoke of slavery ... who have believing masters ... must serve all the better since those who benefit by their service are believers and beloved. Teach and urge these duties. If any one teaches otherwise ... he is puffed up with conceit, he knows nothing; he has a morbid craving for controversy..., which produce envy, dissension, slander, base suspicions, and wrangling among men who are depraved in mind...
-- I Timothy 6:1-5 (RSV)

[/b]

sissy-boy said:

Every war is about one of three things: GOD, LAND, or OIL. And I think it's about time that we got rid of GOD. God was the first COP. God created war; the 'God's' of War, and man playing god will do what God has done: He will destroy, he will mutilate, he wil penalize and he will punish the earth.

Here's just a few of the war-mongering quotes from the 'Good' book:

When the Lord your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you many nations ... then you must destroy them totally. Make no treaty with them, and show them no mercy.

When you march up to attack a city, make its people an offer of peace. If they accept and open their gates, all the people in it shall be subject to forced labor and shall work for you. If they refuse to make peace and they engage you in battle, lay siege to that city. When the Lord your God delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the men in it. As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves. ... This is how you are to treat all the cities that are at a distance from you and do not belong to the nations nearby.
However, in the cities of the nations the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. Completely destroy them--the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites--as the Lord your God has commanded you.

Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property.

.. all who are under the yoke of slavery ... who have believing masters ... must serve all the better since those who benefit by their service are believers and beloved. Teach and urge these duties. If any one teaches otherwise ... he is puffed up with conceit, he knows nothing; he has a morbid craving for controversy..., which produce envy, dissension, slander, base suspicions, and wrangling among men who are depraved in mind...
-- I Timothy 6:1-5 (RSV)

[/b]

Very good post sissy-boy!

kal-el said:
Very good post sissy-boy!
Thanks!

I just am so tired of Christians CONSTANTLY whining about other religions like Islam when their OWN warped Bible is the source of so much destruction, plunder and murder and slavery.

But they ALWAYS refer to Islam as being the one that endorses the idea of the 'stream of virgins' to screw in the afterlife. Here's one that is VERY similar from the bible:
"Have you allowed all the women to live?" he [Moses] asked them.... "Now ... kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man."
-- Numbers 31:1-18

sissy-boy said:
Thanks!

I just am so tired of Christians CONSTANTLY whining about other religions like Islam when their OWN warped Bible is the source of so much destruction, plunder and murder and slavery.

But they ALWAYS refer to Islam as being the one that endorses the idea of the 'stream of virgins' to screw in the afterlife. Here's one that is VERY similar from the bible:
"Have you allowed all the women to live?" he [Moses] asked them.... "Now ... kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man."
-- Numbers 31:1-18

Just as a point of clarification, all the text you referenced is from what Christians call the "Old Testament" and reflects ancient Jewish history and beliefs rather than Christian. You won't find anything similar among any Christian writings unless it is from some obscure sect that was banned by the mainstream early Christian groups. You are also referencing history, beliefs, and a culture from 3000 to 4000 years ago. You won't find anything in more modern Jewish writings that are comparable either.

So in the end, Christians and Jews now do not practice, teach, or believe that they are called to respect or repeat those ancient orders. Does Islam still believe the promises of virgins in the Quran?

Do you even know what this story is about? You cant look at one verse in the Bible and conclude a story but you need to look at the whole context. That piece of history you just quoted was during the times of when the jews got out of captivity from the Egyptians from Pharoah(remerber the story of Moses?) Well that story in deutoronomy is about the jews wandering in the middle east for 40yrs and in those 40yrs God commanded the jews to kill and wipe out all that lived in the "promise land" becasue those people were horrible siners and object worshippers.

Now I will never say God is a nice God or hes a buddy kind of a guy. Cause hes not he is a just and righteous god and very firm. If you dont obey be ready to be subject from punishment. Or you have an alternative of confessing your sins and repenting. Either one you choose.

All religions in its core are very peaceful. Its retarded individuals like binladen and others who bring religions out of context. In any religion I can find dirt on. Its a simple fact. So becasue of this should we do away with all religions?

AlbqOwl said:
Just as a point of clarification, all the text you referenced is from what Christians call the "Old Testament" and reflects ancient Jewish history and beliefs rather than Christian. You won't find anything similar among any Christian writings unless it is from some obscure sect that was banned by the mainstream early Christian groups. You are also referencing history, beliefs, and a culture from 3000 to 4000 years ago. You won't find anything in more modern Jewish writings that are comparable either.

So in the end, Christians and Jews now do not practice, teach, or believe that they are called to respect or repeat those ancient orders. Does Islam still believe the promises of virgins in the Quran?

I'll go a step further....

When Radical Islam is being accused of doing bad things, how on earth is "Christians have done bad things, too" an acceptable defense?

The subject gets changed from Radical Islam's warlike attitude(present) to Christianity's warlike attitude(past).

Who are the best people to tell kids to stay away from gangs?

FORMER gangmembers!

Who are the best people to tell you to stay off drugs?

FORMER drug users!

Same thing here...Christians KNOW the past actions have been horrible...No Christian, in their right mind, would want an "Inqusition" or a "Crusade" or a war initiate by the Pope or some other religious zealot.

What Islam is going through is what Christinity went through hundreds of years ago...

It was wrong THEN for Christians...It is wrong NOW for Middle Eastern Muslims...The Muslim community should be saying to themselves, "Ya know?...Those Christian zealots were a bunch of a-holes back then...Maybe we shouldn't go down that same road."

But instead, it's used AS A REASON..."You guys have done a-hole things...so we're going to do them, too!"

Stop using Christianity's mistakes as a reason we should be silent.

According to that logic, the only ones able to speak up on anything are perfect people....

Let me know when you find them....

It was wrong THEN for Christians...It is wrong NOW for Middle Eastern Muslims...The Muslim community should be saying to themselves, "Ya know?...Those Christian zealots were a bunch of a-holes back then...Maybe we shouldn't go down that same road."

DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER FOLKS!!!

sissy-boy said:
I agree that we all did horrible things in WWII. And it was horrible what the Japanese did to everyone -- I'm well aware of it and well aware of Hitler, Stalin, etc. I still do not think that a nuclear bomb dropped on hundreds of thousands of people was a good idea. Your own good book will tell you that 2 wrongs don't make a right, though it also has some very pro-war passages too! hhaahaha!!

War is evil in itself. I'm not saying that the Japanese were 'better' than the US, I just think that the entire situation was bad -- bomb or no bomb. I personally would not have chosen to drop a nuclear bomb. It set the ugliest precedent of all and we still have bad karma coming our way. And we don't know what would have happened if we didn't drop it. Japan may have surrendered anyway. it's really not worth debating. I just said it was not something that *i* would have chosen.

I am not saying the bomb as a good thing, but it was most certainly the lesser of two evils. The Japanese were NOT prepared to surrender unconditionally, which was what was required under the situation as existed in August, 1945. It would have taken a very bloody land invasion to force capitulation, with no guarentee of success. Far more U.S. and Japanese servicemen would have died, as well as civilians. Most Japanese civilians had been trained to use a weapon and would have done so against invading U.S. troops.

While you harp on the evil of dropping the bomb, you and others like you don't present a viable alternative based on what the situation on the ground was in 1945 as well as the information available. D-Day was a cakewalk compared to what an invasion of Honshu would have entailed.

SKILMATIC said:
Do you even know what this story is about? You cant look at one verse in the Bible and conclude a story but you need to look at the whole context. That piece of history you just quoted was during the times of when the jews got out of captivity from the Egyptians from Pharoah(remerber the story of Moses?) Well that story in deutoronomy is about the jews wandering in the middle east for 40yrs and in those 40yrs God commanded the jews to kill and wipe out all that lived in the "promise land" becasue those people were horrible siners and object worshippers.

I also bet he doesn't know why Canaan was to be subject to Israel in the first place. Hint: Look in Genesis.

I still do not think that a nuclear bomb dropped on hundreds of thousands of people was a good idea.

What history book have you read? We didnt have nuclear power till the late 60's. We dropped an atomic bomb. Do you know what that is? I mean for christ sake you think we dropped a nuclear warhead on the japs in WW2? :lol:

This is getting funnier by the momment.

Soon we will have individuals on here that will say we dropped a nitrogen bomb on Hong Kong, :doh

I just said it was not something that *i* would have chosen.

Ok then since you seem like a professional of foreign affairs and how to make karmic peace why dont you enlighten the rest of the world on what you wouldve done in those days? If you cannot suggest a better route then you really need to admit your argument is voided.

I also bet he doesn't know why Canaan was to be subject to Israel in the first place. Hint: Look in Genesis.

Yeah really, I dont even think he knows where Genesis is, hint look in the front of the bible, :lol:

Canaan was the israelis land in the first place. It was apart of what was known as mesopotamia which was supposed to be all of israels land. Well in canaan Moses sent messengers to scout the city for military installations and what kinda army they had. Well instead of theis the messangers came back with amazing fruit and other nice goods. So you knwo what God did to those individuals who didnt obey Gods order which came from Moses? He didnt let those individuals incl. Moses be able to enter the promise land casue they disobeyed. Interesting huh?

SKILMATIC said:
Yeah really, I dont even think he knows where Genesis is, hint look in the front of the bible, :lol:

Canaan was the israelis land in the first place. It was apart of what was known as mesopotamia which was supposed to be all of israels land. Well in canaan Moses sent messengers to scout the city for military installations and what kinda army they had. Well instead of theis the messangers came back with amazing fruit and other nice goods. So you knwo what God did to those individuals who didnt obey Gods order which came from Moses? He didnt let those individuals incl. Moses be able to enter the promise land casue they disobeyed. Interesting huh?

Actually, it goes further back to chapter nine of Genesis. Ham, the Son of Noah, became the father of the nation of Canaan. Some time after the flood, Noah drank some wine and lay naked inside his tent. Ham saw his brother, but rather than cover him up, he told his brothers. Shem and Japheth went in and covered him up. Noah, upon awaking and realizing what had happened woke up and pronounced that Canaan shall be the lowest of slaves to his brothers.

(Genesis Chapter 9 Verses 18-27)

Yes however, the flood had happened quite along time before that of Moses and the wandering of the desert for 40yrs. However, that story in its context is true. Noah's family is actually the family that populated the earth as it is today. Not adam and eve. Becasue all there generations were wiped(DUE TO THE FLOOD) out except noahs family. It was about another app. 2000yrs till the time of Moses. So in that time the land and area of canaan which is todays Israel, and the Sinai Peninsula was the area known as canaan. Well that was inhabited by part of noahs family which is known as the Canaanites(obvious).

In noahs ancestry he eventually had grandchildren down the line and one was named Cane and thats how that family then grew to a society came to be.

The USA committed an act of genocide agaisnt Japan.
Ironic that the USA should sit in judgement upon Germany for committing the non existent "crime" of waging "agressive war" and yet should drop nuclear devices upon a defenceless civilian population at THE END of the war.
Perhaps it gave them the opportunity to use Japan as a test laboratory-a living laboratory.
Frankly another example of how mentally diseased the mass American psyche must be to support or applaud such atrocities.

Aryan Imperium said:
The USA committed an act of genocide agaisnt Japan.
Ironic that the USA should sit in judgement upon Germany for committing the non existent "crime" of waging "agressive war" and yet should drop nuclear devices upon a defenceless civilian population at THE END of the war.
Perhaps it gave them the opportunity to use Japan as a test laboratory-a living laboratory.
Frankly another example of how mentally diseased the mass American psyche must be to support or applaud such atrocities.

Ahem. Germany declared war on the USA, not the other way around. Did you miss that item in your world history class? Japan attacked the USA, not the other way around. Didn't they cover that in class too? There were critical military installations at both Hiroshima and Nagasaki. That should have been in a chapter somewhere.

A Germany at war against the Allies was working on a nuclear weapon; in fact was the impetus for us to beat Germany to the punch. I suspect had Hitler won that race, the world would have much preferred the USA to have won.

It is a fact that the destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki provided graphic scientific evidence that the bomb must never be used again. And it hasn't.

It saved millions of lives, however, including innocent men, women, and children. Most would count that as a good thing.

Ahem. Germany declared war on the USA, not the other way around. Did you miss that item in your world history class? Japan attacked the USA, not the other way around. Didn't they cover that in class too? There were critical military installations at both Hiroshima and Nagasaki. That should have been in a chapter somewhere.

Perhaps your approved history books forgot to tell you that the USA had been declaring war on Germany long before the official declaration by Germany with its harrassing of German shipping and its giving of war material to Britain,or should I say "selling" rather than "giving"?That is also not to include American jewry`s hysterical outbursts against Germany from January 1933 onwards and it calls for "war".

A Germany at war against the Allies was working on a nuclear weapon; in fact was the impetus for us to beat Germany to the punch. I suspect had Hitler won that race, the world would have much preferred the USA to have won.

Don`t kid yourself.Beating Germany has only accelerated the decline of the world and the imminent end of Aryan man.

It is a fact that the destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki provided graphic scientific evidence that the bomb must never be used again. And it hasn't.

So in other words the nuclear bombing of Japan wasn`t waging aggressive war,more of a scientific experiment?So you are in a position to guarantee that nuclear weapons will never be used again?Have you told israel that?

It saved millions of lives, however, including innocent men, women, and children. Most would count that as a good thing.[/QUOTE]

I am sure that the people of Japan are grateful to you for that.

Aryan Imperium said:

Perhaps your approved history books forgot to tell you that the USA had been declaring war on Germany long before the official declaration by Germany with its harrassing of German shipping and its giving of war material to Britain,or should I say "selling" rather than "giving"?That is also not to include American jewry`s hysterical outbursts against Germany from January 1933 onwards and it calls for "war".

Don`t kid yourself.Beating Germany has only accelerated the decline of the world and the imminent end of Aryan man.

So in other words the nuclear bombing of Japan wasn`t waging aggressive war,more of a scientific experiment?So you are in a position to guarantee that nuclear weapons will never be used again?Have you told israel that?

It saved millions of lives, however, including innocent men, women, and children. Most would count that as a good thing.

I am sure that the people of Japan are grateful to you for that.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I believe the people of Japan hold no ill will toward the United States and most appreciate having us as friends.

As to the rest of your comments, at least there is no question of where you are coming from. You're wrong and you're scary, but at least you're honest.

AlbqOwl said:
I am sure that the people of Japan are grateful to you for that.

Yes, I believe the people of Japan hold no ill will toward the United States and most appreciate having us as friends.

As to the rest of your comments, at least there is no question of where you are coming from. You're wrong and you're scary, but at least you're honest.[/QUOTE]

Ignorant, that is what he is. I wonder how much hair he has on his head and how many swastika's he has at home. Too bad he is also likely quite ignorant as to the origin of the symbol known as the swastika.

ludahai said:

As to the rest of your comments, at least there is no question of where you are coming from. You're wrong and you're scary, but at least you're honest.

Ignorant, that is what he is. I wonder how much hair he has on his head and how many swastika's he has at home. Too bad he is also likely quite ignorant as to the origin of the symbol known as the swastika.[/QUOTE]

I'm ignorant as to it's origins. Where did it come from?

Back
Top Bottom