• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Do you think gays should be allowed to marry?

Do you think gays should be allowed to marry?

• No

Votes: 30 28.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 74 70.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
jallman said:
I am going to make this brief because I am in the arctic circle right now and the internet isnt so efficient here. I will write more when I get back to Anchorage. However, I just want to coment that the "activist" judges in mass merely stated that it was unconstitutional to put a ban on the rights of others. They did the same thing in Kansas when they ruled that it was unconstitutional to place stiffer penalties on homosexuals in statutory rape cases. I love it when one side or the other start throwing around the term "activist judge." It usually means that the judge didnt rule in favor of their beliefs so now the tactic is to discredit the judge along with the ruling.

Ah but that judge ruling is just on a technicality...Bottom line is the Amendment was approved by a huge majority of 70% of the voters and is standing tall and it was nice to see the Governor of California, although pro gay rights like I am shoot down the legislature when they to tried to overule the will of the people of California who voted by referendun that marriage is defined as a union between a man and a woman..........Way to go Gov..................

Gilluin said:
So If I understand you correctly you would be allright if I convinced the legislature to pass laws saying that no baptists or catholics of different sexes could geta marriage license? I guess that if someone who was baptist or catholic, by your deinition, they would not be able to turn to the courts since that would be the "judicial branch making law".

Sure if you think you can get that done........I won't hold my breath though......:roll:

Gays should not be alouded to marry

Marriage should and always should be between a man and a women.

Re: Gays should not be alouded to marry

Jonathan52988 said:

And why is that? A million dollars should drop from the sky right now, but it just ain't happening.

Jonathan52988 said:

Your logic is amazing. You convinced me. Wait, no you didn't.

Navy Pride said:
Ah but that judge ruling is just on a technicality...Bottom line is the Amendment was approved by a huge majority of 70% of the voters and is standing tall and it was nice to see the Governor of California, although pro gay rights like I am shoot down the legislature when they to tried to overule the will of the people of California who voted by referendun that marriage is defined as a union between a man and a woman..........Way to go Gov..................

Ah but an amendment to a state constitution cannot trump the Federal Constitution no matter how many residents of the state vote on it. That judge's ruling was not on technicality, it was based on Constitutionality. Sorry, Chief, you know we agree on the civil union idea, but we split when it comes to your so called activist judges. If you get an amendment passed on the Federal Constitution that says what the residents of Mass voted for, then you might have an argument.

Jonathan52988 said:

You are absolutely right my friend........Welcome to the forum.....looking forward to your input........Don't let the libs get to you.......We have some good conservatives here........

jallman said:
Ah but an amendment to a state constitution cannot trump the Federal Constitution no matter how many residents of the state vote on it. That judge's ruling was not on technicality, it was based on Constitutionality. Sorry, Chief, you know we agree on the civil union idea, but we split when it comes to your so called activist judges. If you get an amendment passed on the Federal Constitution that says what the residents of Mass voted for, then you might have an argument.

The Kansas Amendment is in force and the SCOTUS will not throw out state amendments especially when we get this new judge in place........;)

Jonathan52988 said:

Regardless of legal status I am still married to a man and there is nothing that can be done about that fact. The conservates can try and pass all the laws they want but it will not change the fact that gay and lesbians are forming unions, relationships, and making families.

Gilluin said:
Regardless of legal status I am still married to a man and there is nothing that can be done about that fact. The conservates can try and pass all the laws they want but it will not change the fact that gay and lesbians are forming unions, relationships, and making families.

Do you get all the benefits that a man and a woman get that are married?

How do you as a gay man make babies?:confused: Is there some medical break through that I have not heard of that you or your partner can conceive......

I would concede to the concept of gay marriage so long as homosexual nuptial agreements strictly prevent adoption. I don't think any child should be put in such a situation. The ramifications of such a situation speak for themselves.

Conflict said:
I would concede to the concept of gay marriage so long as homosexual nuptial agreements strictly prevent adoption. I don't think any child should be put in such a situation. The ramifications of such a situation speak for themselves.

Actually they don't. There's not a single credible psychological or social services source that says children of gay parents are any worse off emotionally, physically or psychologically than children of straight parents.

Navy Pride said:
I did not say polygamy was incest.........I did not even mention incest....If family members could marry why could a mother marry her daughter to take advantage of the benefits married people get and sex not even be involved?.......Why couldn't a sister and a brother do the same?

Surely you can see the bucket of worms that would open up if you allowed gays to marry..

No, there's no bucket of worms at all. Besides, worms can't give consent.

You non sequitur is just that, irrelevant. Stick to the issue.

Kelzie said:
Actually they don't. There's not a single credible psychological or social services source that says children of gay parents are any worse off emotionally, physically or psychologically than children of straight parents.

SO I expect they would live normal social lives... they would never be frowned upon by their peers... and of course the parents of their peers would most definitely approve? RIGHT!

Conflict said:
SO I expect they would live normal social lives... they would never be frowned upon by their peers... and of course the parents of their peers would most definitely approve? RIGHT!

Oh I see. We should only let people whose children would be socially accepted have them. Well, guess less than attractive people can't have kids. Or smart people. Or minorities.

Conflict said:

Adoptions by same-sex couples could be restricted by law, since the overriding factor is the interest of the child, not of the parents.

There's absolutely no way, none, zero, zip, zilch, nada, to prevent a lesbian couple from having a baby if they want one.

And there's no way to prevent custodial parents of children from simply co-habiting with their same-sex partner.

So.

What freaking difference will it make if those people can get married? If anything, it improves the child's environment, since marriage is supposed to be a more stable officially committed enduring relationship. (Us heteros prove the lie of that one often enough, right?)

I've got one divorce (thanks be to the God that doesn't exist!), anyone got two or more?

Kelzie said:

I have mixed emotions when it comes to gay adoption...I think the ideal situation for a child is to have a mother and a father......I think they both bring things to the table that 2 gays or lesbians can not give........That said a gay couple adopting a kid is better then no one adopting him or her at all.........

Navy Pride said:
My whole argument against gay marriage is based on the 14th amendment and the equal protection clause.............If you allow gays to marry then you have to allow polygamy and for inner family marriages.......I am not talking about inner family marriages for incestuous purposes...I am talking about marriage between a mother and a daughter or a father and son or daughter for the benefits provided by that unions.........

You see if you allow gays to marry you open up a whome new can of worms........

I love using peoples own words against themselves.

My whole argument against straight marriage is based on the 14th amendment and the equal protection clause.............If you allow straights to marry then you have to allow polygamy and for inner family marriages.......I am not talking about inner family marriages for incestuous purposes...I am talking about marriage between a mother and a daughter or a father and son or daughter for the benefits provided by that unions.........

You see if you allow straights to marry you open up a whome new can of worms........

Hahaha. Love it.

Kelzie said:
Oh I see. We should only let people whose children would be socially accepted have them. Well, guess less than attractive people can't have kids. Or smart people. Or minorities.

Woah. THat is way the heck off base.

Less attractive people can have kids by the virtue of sexual intercourse... which is normal

Smart people can have kids by the virtue of sexual intercourse... which is normal (and usually a planned ordeal)

Minorities can have kids by the virtue of sexual intercourse... which is normal (thank god for welfare)

The fact is that Gay people cannot proliferate.... I guess there must be a reason for that? The human body doesn't work that way. Why should the human psyche try to work that way?

Columbusite said:
I love using peoples own words against themselves.

My whole argument against straight marriage is based on the 14th amendment and the equal protection clause.............If you allow straights to marry then you have to allow polygamy and for inner family marriages.......I am not talking about inner family marriages for incestuous purposes...I am talking about marriage between a mother and a daughter or a father and son or daughter for the benefits provided by that unions.........

You see if you allow straights to marry you open up a whome new can of worms........

Hahaha. Love it.

I have a flash for you son.......Straight people can marrry..........its the law and its worked well for thousands of years.............

You want to change the law............You want a special right..........

jallman said:

Exactly. If we can vote who gets what rights why the ***** even have a Consitutition? This is the point of the US Constitution people!!! Inalienable rights!

Columbusite said:
Exactly. If we can vote who gets what rights why the ***** even have a Consitutition? This is the point of the US Constitution people!!! Inalienable rights!

Ah, but you have the same rights I do.......You can marry someone of the opposite sex............If you get to marry a guy then I get to marry 2 women or my sister if I like...........

Navy Pride said:
I have a flash for you son.......Straight people can marrry..........its the law and its worked well for thousands of years.............

You want to change the law............You want a special right..........

Wow, that post was just lost on you so I'll spell it out for you. Following your logic, allowing the state to allow two people to get married will lead to polygamy, etc. Think about it, if the state says a man and woman can get married what's to stop it from allowing polygamous relationships or incestuous ones? If you're going to argue from the 14th amendment it works against straight marriage just as much as gay marriage. So this takes care of your post following this one too.

Sure....oh...do you mean to each other?!

Columbusite said:
Wow, that post was just lost on you so I'll spell it out for you. Following your logic, allowing the state to allow two people to get married will lead to polygamy, etc. Think about it, if the state says a man and woman can get married what's to stop it from allowing polygamous relationships or incestuous ones? If you're going to argue from the 14th amendment it works against straight marriage just as much as gay marriage. So this takes care of your post following this one too.

Straight marriage is legal...........It has nothing to do with the 14th amendment..........What part of that do you not understand? If gays can marry then people that want to marry 2 or 3 people can do so...They are protected by the same amendment...........So will people that want to marry inner family..........

Never mind, you just don't get it and never will........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom