• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Do you think children in pre school should be taught about AIDS?

Do you think the publc school system should teach pre school children about AIDS?

• Yes

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • No

Votes: 24 82.8%

• Total voters
jallman said:
yeah, I cant find anything on it either. I think we are all just chasing our tales...which is fine for me, but the rest of you should be ashamed. :mrgreen:

I know. I think we should all say together "thank you for showing us the light Kelzie". Chanting might be better, in monotone. And somebody needs to get me a Dr. Pepper. Let's move people!

Kelzie said:
I know. I think we should all say together "thank you for showing us the light Kelzie". Chanting might be better, in monotone. And somebody needs to get me a Dr. Pepper. Let's move people!

*fetches Kelzie's Dr Pepper*

vergiss said:
*fetches Kelzie's Dr Pepper*

Strange though, I don't hear any chanting. Where's the gratitude. I SAVED you people from PAGES AND PAGES of pointless debating. No respect, I tell ya. :lol:

jfuh said:
You don't need to be a druggy of gay to contract hiv.

Pretty much that's how you're going to get it in this country.

From the CDC
"HIV is spread by sexual contact with an infected person, by sharing needles and/or syringes (primarily for drug injection) with someone who is infected, or, less commonly (and now very rarely in countries where blood is screened for HIV antibodies), through transfusions of infected blood or blood clotting factors. Babies born to HIV-infected women may become infected before or during birth or through breast-feeding after birth................. .........................
Some people fear that HIV might be transmitted in other ways; however, no scientific evidence to support any of these fears has been found. If HIV were being transmitted through other routes (such as through air, water, or insects), the pattern of reported AIDS cases would be much different from what has been observed. For example, if mosquitoes could transmit HIV infection, many more young children and preadolescents would have been diagnosed with AIDS.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pubs/facts/transmission.htm

Don't engage in anal sex or with those that do and don't use needles other druggies have used. So should we be teach 4 and 5 year olds how to clean their needles and not to engage in anal sex? Or do you think we can wait until they get older and we can once again try to let children be children and have a childhood.

Stinger said:
Pretty much that's how you're going to get it in this country.

From the CDC
"HIV is spread by sexual contact with an infected person, by sharing needles and/or syringes (primarily for drug injection) with someone who is infected, or, less commonly (and now very rarely in countries where blood is screened for HIV antibodies), through transfusions of infected blood or blood clotting factors. Babies born to HIV-infected women may become infected before or during birth or through breast-feeding after birth................. .........................
Some people fear that HIV might be transmitted in other ways; however, no scientific evidence to support any of these fears has been found. If HIV were being transmitted through other routes (such as through air, water, or insects), the pattern of reported AIDS cases would be much different from what has been observed. For example, if mosquitoes could transmit HIV infection, many more young children and preadolescents would have been diagnosed with AIDS.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pubs/facts/transmission.htm
Your own post shows more routes then anal sex or being a druggy. Also is there a reason why you edited out this passage:
In the health care setting, workers have been infected with HIV after being stuck with needles containing HIV-infected blood or, less frequently, after infected blood gets into a worker open cut or a mucous membrane (for example, the eyes or inside of the nose). There has been only one instance of patients being infected by a health care worker in the United States; this involved HIV transmission from one infected dentist to six patients. Investigations have been completed involving more than 22,000 patients of 63 HIV-infected physicians, surgeons, and dentists, and no other cases of this type of transmission have been identified in the United States.

Stinger said:
Don't engage in anal sex or with those that do and don't use needles other druggies have used. So should we be teach 4 and 5 year olds how to clean their needles and not to engage in anal sex? Or do you think we can wait until they get older and we can once again try to let children be children and have a childhood.
Un huh, have I ever said such? Read post #46.
Stop acting such a homophobe and get a life.

Stinger said:

You could tell them not to touch other people's blood, and not to go near any discarded needles they see. That'll prevent risk of infection not only from HIV, but hepatitis and other blood-borne diseases.

So what do we have? A possibly hoax story about preschoolers being taught something about HIV/AIDS. The "something" isn't defined, which tends to validate Kelzie's assertion that it was a hoax. Let's pretend it's real.

Kelzie claims that it's good to teach young kids to beware of the risks of raw blood. Fair enough. Of course, I've never met a pre-school kid that not only isn't totally grossed out by blood. I don't know how much I'd have to pay one to touch the stuff.

What most parents try to do with their kids is teach them that they shouldn't panic when they see blood - they're usually seeing their own after a cut or a scrape - and to remain calm and get an adult to help them. Reinforcing a basic fear with horror stories about disease could easily be more damaging than beneficial. I don't know how anyone could do a scientific study on this one.

As for teaching HIV/AIDS? Again, my limited sample set of the six and younger set, and I'll include my girls' classmates in this, is that they've never heard of it. OKay, inner city kids are probably different. I understand that. Most of those people probably have drug addicted cousins with HIV, or know someone who knows someone. There's reasons why I choose not to live in a central urban area, after all.

But lets face it, and again we're bumping up against the limits of a possible rumor established by Navy and don't have solid facts to guide us...what can they teach a four year old about HIV/AIDS that they'll understand and need to know? Okay, blood contact may make you sick. So will spitting. Should pre-schoolers also get a formal lesson in the hazards of coprophilia?

HIV/AIDS, as far as pre-shooler is concerned, is nothing but "getting sick". No need to go into details, no need even to name the diseases. All that would be needed is to tell kids, "if one of you is cut on the playground or in class, go to the teacher. If you see someone cut, don't touch the yucky blood." Not that the second part is necessary anyway, like I said above.

That's all. I'd like to see anyone demanding that pre-shoolers be taught about HIV specifically explain why we shouldn't also teach them about trigonometry, or better yet, safe handling of grenades.

At least I can link to the following story. I suppose we could relate it to the thread by demanding that preschool boys be taught to watch out for Lorena Bobbitt?

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-ouch17.htmlMan severs own penis, throws it at officers

Before cops threw the book at him, Jakub Fik threw something unusual at them -- his penis.

Fik, 33, cut off his own penis during a Northwest Side rampage Wednesday morning. When confronted by police, Fik hurled several knives and his severed organ at the officers, police said. Officers stunned him with a Taser and took him into custody.

Kelzie said:
Couldn't find anything on the internet about it. Would you mind posting a source Navy?

Here you go kelzie, sorry it took so long.......

http://www.speroforum.com/site/article.asp?idCategory=34&idsub=127&id=2941

Five year olds to learn about AIDS
New York City’s Department of Education has mandated that all five year olds must learn about AIDS and HIV in their kindergarten classes. The new curriculum begins today.

Monday, March 20, 2006
by William Donohue

New York City’s Department of Education has mandated that all five year olds must learn about AIDS and HIV in their kindergarten classes. The new curriculum begins today.

This is outrageous...........

That article is slighltly hysterical. I did reseach the program a little and they are not going to mention sex or anything. Seems to me there's actually no need to mention the terms AIDS or HIV either but whatever. One concern that they talk about is kids in urban cities finding needles on the street walking home from school. The program teaches kids that picking up a needle off the street can be dangerous and cause them to get AIDS. It could probably also 'cause hepatitis and other infections so I'm still not sure why AIDS has to be mentioned. But they are basically stressing to the kids that blood can be dangerous and full of germs and needles can be especially dangerous. Apparently big cities have needles lying all around! Yuck. If that is really the case and kids are in danger of picking up dirty needles and playing with them on the way home from school then this could be a valuable lesson!

My initial thought was that it was stupid, inappropriate, and would scare the bejeezus out of kids who are so small they are highly unlikely to become infected however if there are kids who are walking streets littered with dirty needles.....sadly they are at more risk then I'd have thought!:shock:

No, because I barely knew the alphabet when I was in preschool, Why in the world should children be burdened with knowing about AIDS?

It's good to raise awareness about HIV/AIDS, but don't you think pre-school is just a little too early?

Che said:
It's good to raise awareness about HIV/AIDS, but don't you think pre-school is just a little too early?

Totally unless of course these are kids who trudge through dark dirty alleys full of druggy needles all over the ground....then I just gotta shake my head and wonder about the sad sorry state of the world. But I do think you could teach kids to stay away from needles without getting too far into AIDS/HIV.

jfuh said:
Your own post shows more routes then anal sex or being a druggy.

In other countries where they don't screen blood, but we are talking here aren't we.

Also is there a reason why you edited out this passage:

Yes, because it is extremely rare, done on accident, and I dont' know of any kindergarteners who leave school and go work as healthcare workers after school. Do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger

Un huh, have I ever said such? Read post #46.

Then why do you want to teach them about AIDS at 4 and 5 years old? They are not at risk.

Stop acting such a homophobe and get a life.

I would tell you to kiss something but then that would as childish as your post. Your lack of intelliectual response never ceases to amaze.

Navy Pride said:
Here you go kelzie, sorry it took so long.......

http://www.speroforum.com/site/article.asp?idCategory=34&idsub=127&id=2941

Five year olds to learn about AIDS

Monday, March 20, 2006
by William Donohue

This is outrageous...........

ROFL, only you could point to that hate riddled, mentally incompetent "article" as proof of anything. Outrageous :confused: What's outrageous is trying to pass off such crap as "news".

Blind man said:
ROFL, only you could point to that hate riddled, mentally incompetent "article" as proof of anything. Outrageous :confused: What's outrageous is trying to pass off such crap as "news".

You got the right name becasue you sure as hell are blind.........:rofl

Looks like your on the short end of the vote 21-5.......Live with it.........

Navy Pride said:
You got the right name becasue you sure as hell are blind.........:rofl

Looks like your on the short end of the vote 21-5.......Live with it.........

Again, ignorance at its finest. When did i say I voted? When did i say how i voted. The only inferrence you can draw from my posts is that it's "no big deal" which can only be construed as tacit approval at best. FYI, when I want you to know my approval or disapproval of something it won't be vague.

And Nice straw man trying to change the subject from your so called "link". I must have missed the part where you came up with a cogent rationalization explaining how your source passes ANY muster of credibility. I'll be waiting in case you actually come up with something more than hot air.

Blind man said:
Again, ignorance at its finest. When did i say I voted? When did i say how i voted. The only inferrence you can draw from my posts is that it's "no big deal" which can only be construed as tacit approval at best. FYI, when I want you to know my approval or disapproval of something it won't be vague.

And Nice straw man trying to change the subject from your so called "link". I must have missed the part where you came up with a cogent rationalization explaining how your source passes ANY muster of credibility. I'll be waiting in case you actually come up with something more than hot air.

26 Champs is back...I thought he got 3 months........:confused:

Navy Pride said:
26 Champs is back...I thought he got 3 months........:confused:

Not only can you not debate effectively but I guess you aspire to be some kind of e-tattletale as well. i don't know who this 26 Champs is, but even if i was him what business would it be of yours? It doesn't in any way, shape, or form detract from the fact that you lack the intellectual capacity to form a cohesive argument. I guess the only thing your capable of doing is googling, and if that 'article' you found is the best you can do, you could use an elementary education in that as well.

vergiss said:
You could tell them not to touch other people's blood, and not to go near any discarded needles they see. That'll prevent risk of infection not only from HIV, but hepatitis and other blood-borne diseases.

I did that with my kids before HIV was even known. No need to teach them about HIV and AIDs to teach basic health and safety for kids that young.

Pre-school kids should learn manners and colors and ABC's not STD's.

Blind man said:
Not only can you not debate effectively but I guess you aspire to be some kind of e-tattletale as well. i don't know who this 26 Champs is, but even if i was him what business would it be of yours? It doesn't in any way, shape, or form detract from the fact that you lack the intellectual capacity to form a cohesive argument. I guess the only thing your capable of doing is googling, and if that 'article' you found is the best you can do, you could use an elementary education in that as well.

Same old 26 Champs...When you lose the debate, personal attack the messenger.........Ah but what else is new..........:roll:

24-5...You lose............

I Have A Daughter In A Very Elite Preschool And I Had To Go In One Day And Talk To The Kids About Hiv Because There Are Two Children On Chronic Antiviral Therapy With Hiv Who Were Being Shunned Like Lepers And Treated Horribly. ( They Were Adopted By A Very Christian , Wealthy Family That Adopted Unwanted Children With Disabilities Or In This Case, Hiv) Some Of The Children's Parents Wanted To Yank Their Kids From This Preschool.

The Teachers Felt That Someone In The Medical Profession Should Address How Casual Contact (like Playing With Blocks, Tag Etc) Could Not Transmit The Virus. It Was Not An Std Or Sex Talk. It Was Just About How Some Children Can Get It From NURSING And During The Birth Process And How Kids Should Stay Away From Needles And Blood. Simple. The Kids Processed It Quite Well And These Two Children Now Are Accepted By Their School Mates.

PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE MORE AND MORE HIV POSTIVE CHILDREN ARE LIVING HEALTHY YOUNG LIVES (NO PROGRESSION TO AIDS) ON CHRONIC ANTIVIRAL THERAPY AND ARE INTERMINGELING WITH OTHER CHILDREN?

Navy Pride said:
Same old 26 Champs...When you lose the debate, personal attack the messenger.........Ah but what else is new..........:roll:

24-5...You lose............

Lets start by positing that I have actually come out in favor of teaching this in schools (I haven't). Then let's look at these poll numbers. From what i've seen, the only information any of the people who voted have had access to is second and third hand rumors, and your supposed "article". And you think that votes made upon such information actually mean something? ROFL. So I lost a debate eh? Lost a debate? To lose something there has to be one in the first place. You can stroke your e-penis all you want, but that doesn't mean you actually accomplished anything.

And you might wanna find a professional to help you through these feelings that the world is against you. Your conspiracy theory ideology will only get you into trouble if you let it continue to control you.
And since i'm such a nice guy feel free to ask whoever has the logs for this place if my routing is anywhere close to that of this nemesis of yours champs.

Get some medication, a blowjob, go fishing, do SOMETHING to relax, it sounds like you really need it.

Blind man said:
Lets start by positing that I have actually come out in favor of teaching this in schools (I haven't). Then let's look at these poll numbers. From what i've seen, the only information any of the people who voted have had access to is second and third hand rumors, and your supposed "article". And you think that votes made upon such information actually mean something? ROFL. So I lost a debate eh? Lost a debate? To lose something there has to be one in the first place. You can stroke your e-penis all you want, but that doesn't mean you actually accomplished anything.

And you might wanna find a professional to help you through these feelings that the world is against you. Your conspiracy theory ideology will only get you into trouble if you let it continue to control you.
And since i'm such a nice guy feel free to ask whoever has the logs for this place if my routing is anywhere close to that of this nemesis of yours champs.

Get some medication, a blowjob, go fishing, do SOMETHING to relax, it sounds like you really need it.

In every thread you just attack me 26 champs........You better read the forum rules........

Back
Top Bottom