• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Do you think children in pre school should be taught about AIDS?

Do you think the publc school system should teach pre school children about AIDS?

• Yes

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • No

Votes: 24 82.8%

• Total voters
talloulou said:
Look teachers are spending less and less time on reading, writing, and math. Preschool teachers should be teaching letter sounds and words. Not HIV, GENITAL WARTS, TRANSEXUAL 101. Good grief no wonder they come out of school so dumb.

Well then I suppose it's a good thing they're NOT TEACHING THAT! Seriously. I don't see the need for getting bent out of shape for teachers telling kids not to go near other's blood.

jfuh said:
You don't teach your kids to wash thier hands when returning home from outdoors or prior to eating? To avoid handling objects in public areas? To cover thier mouths when they sneeze or cough? What do you think the purpose of those teachings are? Simple etiquette?
DO you honestly believe that teachers that teach school kids about AIDs will be showing them images that are unsuitable for them?

Well if we are going to adopt your position shouldn't we be teaching them how to wash out thier needles with chlorine before the shoot up their drugs and how sticking little Billy's penis into their anus should never be done with a condom and even then it is very very risky, and then to make sure they question the hospital as to whether the blood they are about to get has beent fully tested. I mean these are things 4 and 5 year olds need to know aren't they?

Kelzie said:
Well then I suppose it's a good thing they're NOT TEACHING THAT! Seriously. I don't see the need for getting bent out of shape for teachers telling kids not to go near other's blood.

Well I havent seen any link so I don't know what we're really talking about. But the terms AIDS/HIV don't belong in a preschool class. You know the class where they learn how to share and they learn C is for cookie. Good grief some people are crazy as loons.

talloulou said:
Well I havent seen any link so I don't know what we're really talking about. But the terms AIDS/HIV don't belong in a preschool class. You know the class where they learn how to share and they learn C is for cookie. Good grief some people are crazy as loons.

Neither have I. I'm beginning to think this whole things is some sick, sick joke by Navy. But if what Blind Man says is true, doesn't seem like there's much cause for alarm.

jallman said:
Contracting HIV from a blood transfusion, dirty heroine needle, or unprotected sex: Not likely to happen for a 5 year old...
Coming in contact with an HIV positive person's blood? What's so difficult about that? HIV crosses over the placental barrier. IF a fellow classmate had HIV, got cut, what's so unimaginable of the child coming in contact with the blood?

jallman said:
They are preschoolers...it is not appropriate to have pre-school teachers pushing them into conversations and lessons out of their realm of maturity. Its really that simple.
I'm not advocating such, simply educate them about infectious diseases. Not doing so would be irresponsible.

Last edited:
Navy Pride said:
Four and Five year olds can understand to wash their hands and brush their teeth....They don't need to know about AIDS or STDS at that age........
They can also understand of not coming in contact with another person's blood. Theres nothing harmful of educating childern about diseases.

jfuh said:
Coming in contact with an HIV positive person's blood? What's so difficult about that? HIV crosses over the placental barrier. IF a fellow classmate had HIV, got cut, what's so unimaginable of the child coming in contact with the blood?

I'm not advocating such, simply educate them about infectious diseases.

Look if a teacher sets up rules in the beginning of the school year such as wash your hands after you potty, cover your mouth and nose when you cough and sneeze, don't touch each others blood, ect thats fine. But going any further than that and in anyway bringing up the topic of HIV or AIDS is just unnecessary and pointless at that age. The time is much better spent on the basics of preschool education.

For what its worth I'm sure any teacher with half a brain is not going to sit there and watch while one kid bleeds and all the others play with the blood. Good Grief!

talloulou said:
What exactly would be the point in talking to preschoolers about HIV infection and how would the talk go exactly? I feel preschoolers have an incredibly low risk of contracting HIV so what's the point in boggling their little minds? Should we teach them about genital warts too.....that's an infection. Geez.
ARe you willing to risk that? Hiding away the facts is not going to make them any safer. It's only denial.

vergiss said:
I'm not worried so much about them being taught the sex ed side of AIDS (I knew what AIDS was before I knew it was sexually transmitted), rather the fact that teaching them about AIDS, or any other terminal disease, is likely to terrify them. They're, what... four? How is saying "Don't catch AIDS, you'll die!" going to do anything except scare them silly, and possibly make them fearful of AIDS patients in the future? Bad idea, and I really don't think there's any need.

They just not mentally developed and rational enough to comprehend it yet. I knew what AIDS was in elementary school (about seven or so), but I was much smarter than most kids, and as I said I had no idea it was an STD - my mother just told me you can get it from infected blood.

I think, if it's true, it's a poorly thought out idea. If you want to make sure your pre-school child is safe, just tell him/her not to touch other people's blood. You don't need to scare them.
Don't have to scare them about it, just let them know of how coming in contact with blood is not a good idea, there're plenty of other non-STD's that are transmitted by blood.

jfuh said:

Well I dont think its common practice for pre-schoolers to play with bodily fluids of any type...I mean, if we can teach them not to play with poop without explaining fecal coli and teach them not to play with urine or spit or any other bodily fluid without explaining the exact nature of the dangers, then I am sure we can do that with blood without bringing up AIDS to them.

I'm not advocating such, simply educate them about infectious diseases.

No, not simply educate them about infectious diseases. They are preschoolers...they learn its polite to share, "please", "thank you", "yes and no sirs", and how to draw their alphabets on fat lined paper with crayons. Basically, unless you see it on sesame street, I dont want them being faced with it in pre-school.

jallman said:
Well I dont think its common practice for pre-schoolers to play with bodily fluids of any type...I mean, if we can teach them not to play with poop without explaining fecal coli and teach them not to play with urine or spit or any other bodily fluid without explaining the exact nature of the dangers, then I am sure we can do that with blood without bringing up AIDS to them.

No, not simply educate them about infectious diseases. They are preschoolers...they learn its polite to share, "please", "thank you", "yes and no sirs", and how to draw their alphabets on fat lined paper with crayons. Basically, unless you see it on sesame street, I dont want them being faced with it in pre-school.

Man, I'm telling you people. This is a non-issue. There is not a single website to be found on this. And you know what your mom told you: if it's not on the web, it doesn't exist.

talloulou said:
Look if a teacher sets up rules in the beginning of the school year such as wash your hands after you potty, cover your mouth and nose when you cough and sneeze, don't touch each others blood, ect thats fine. But going any further than that and in anyway bringing up the topic of HIV or AIDS is just unnecessary and pointless at that age. The time is much better spent on the basics of preschool education.

For what its worth I'm sure any teacher with half a brain is not going to sit there and watch while one kid bleeds and all the others play with the blood. Good Grief!
How many kids find it facinating when another kid get a noose bleed? What's the first thing they do? They look in awe before one would report it to the instructor.
Like I've said, you don't have to go into the nitty gritty details about STD's, however you should tell them about the dangers associated with it how to prevent it and so on.

Blind man said:
ROFl, I love the sensationalist hype surrounding this. have any of you actually looked into it and seen what they are teaching before going off the handle?

They teach that Aids is a sickness that makes people "not well". they tell the kids that it's not something to be afraid of and encourage them to not fear people with Aids like some kind of leper. There's NO talk about sex, sexuality etc. They tell them that if they see blood to be careful and not get near it, and if they are bleeding they should get an adult immediately Oh Noes!!!. What they are really doing is dispelling the crap these kids are hearing on the playground and calming them down. Remember when you were a kid and kids would say that you'd get 'cooties" if you went near Jimmy or Sally? All they are doing is dispelling myths.

I'll admit i was freaked out at first when i heard about it, but when you look behind the sensationalistic headlines and get a glimpse of reality you see it's no big deal. Sure occasionally some teacher will get carried away and veer off of the approved curriculum, but that's a reason to talk to your kids and find out what they are learning in school. And if some teacher does add their own bias or unnecessary information that needs to be corrected.

if you want to go crazy about something at your school you should be getting mad at teachers unions that protect bad teachers and not the kids they teach. if you want to get mad get mad that in some areas of the country garbagemen and bus drivers make more than your kids teachers.
There you go. Obviously the instructors will not be going off about sex and so such. Just simple information is plenty adequate.
Thanks for the update blind.

Stinger said:
They prove once again that the public school adminsitrations attract the most dumb amongst us.
Read the post made by blind man first.

talloulou said:
Look teachers are spending less and less time on reading, writing, and math. Preschool teachers should be teaching letter sounds and words. Not HIV, GENITAL WARTS, TRANSEXUAL 101. Good grief no wonder they come out of school so dumb. Teachers these days are so busy teaching tolerance for everything under the sun that kids never learn what the sun is! Are we socially programming the young or are we trying to teach them to read and do math?
Infectious diseases are a big part of society, teaching childern how to properly deal with them is the responsible thing to do. As I've said, you don't need to go into the details to teach about diseases.
ie, how much do you understand about HIV? Anywhere near what Dr. Hu knows about it? (FYI Dr. Hu is the inventor of the Cocktail antiviral treatment of HIV, Times 1997 man of the year... or was it 1999).
There you go.

Stinger said:
You never cease to amaze me. I have a question, how old are you and do you have kids?
And the relevance of this is?

If they merely mention how unsafe it is to touch blood fine. If they mention AIDS thats ridiculous. There are millions of other infections and I don't think kids need to know them by name. The only exception I can think of for making it in anyway appropriate is if the class has a child with HIV/AIDS and the parents of that child and the teacher feel some discussion is in order. Otherwise forget about it.

Better off teaching them not to share hats and combs as they're a million times more likely to get lice and thus cooties are exactly what they should be fearing at that age.

jallman said:
Absolutely! Think about the discomfort the conversation incites in a group of mature adults...there is no reason to incite those kinds of feelings in children. You can always teach them safe practices without inviting conversations that are going to terrify them.
If a group of adults are not comfortable in discussing STD's then they are not very mature.
That aside, yes just what I've been saying, you can easily teach kids about diseases and safe practices without horrifying them.

Stinger said:
Well if we are going to adopt your position shouldn't we be teaching them how to wash out thier needles with chlorine before the shoot up their drugs and how sticking little Billy's penis into their anus should never be done with a condom and even then it is very very risky, and then to make sure they question the hospital as to whether the blood they are about to get has beent fully tested. I mean these are things 4 and 5 year olds need to know aren't they?
You don't need to be a druggy of gay to contract hiv.

jallman said:
As Blindman said, that's pretty much what they are doing.

talloulou said:
If they merely mention how unsafe it is to touch blood fine. If they mention AIDS thats ridiculous. There are millions of other infections and I don't think kids need to know them by name. The only exception I can think of for making it in anyway appropriate is if the class has a child with HIV/AIDS and the parents of that child and the teacher feel some discussion is in order. Otherwise forget about it.

Better off teaching them not to share hats and combs as they're a million times more likely to get lice and thus cooties are exactly what they should be fearing at that age.
AIDs is a sickness that you can get from coming in contact with another person's blood.
That's it, that simple. Nothing bad about that phrase, but the point of the education is put across.

Navy Pride said:
I just heard on the news that the school system in New York want to teach pre school children about AIDS.......What do you think?

if a kid asks, I see no reason to hide it from them, but I also dont see the need for it to be integrated into the kindergarten curriculum.

star2589 said:
if a kid asks, I see no reason to hide it from them, but I also dont see the need for it to be integrated into the kindergarten curriculum.

Don't let them suck you in. Nobody's been able to find a source that it's actually happening.

jfuh said:
AIDs is a sickness that you can get from coming in contact with another person's blood.
That's it, that simple. Nothing bad about that phrase, but the point of the education is put across.

What about hepatitis? Should we name that too? Why do we have to name any of these disease at such a young age in school. Why not just tell them blood has germs?

Kelzie said:
Don't let them suck you in. Nobody's been able to find a source that it's actually happening.

yeah, I cant find anything on it either. I think we are all just chasing our tales...which is fine for me, but the rest of you should be ashamed. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom